Cristiano Ronaldo (51 Viewers)

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
this tweet suggests that sarri made ronaldo a better player

this season: 10 penalty goals (+1 missed)
last season: 6 penalty goals

this season: a non-penalty goal every 177 minutes
last season: a non-penalty goal every 166 minutes

so we're getting a tiny bit more penalties, that's all. grazie mister :heart:

jokes aside, let's hope ronaldo continues his better form he showed lately. we're going to need him at his best vs milan, atalanta, nazio, lyon and hopefully at the later stage of cl too.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005

jokes aside, let's hope ronaldo continues his better form he showed lately. we're going to need him at his best vs milan, atalanta, nazio, lyon and hopefully at the later stage of cl too.
haha well, we are getting the ball in the box more often now. Instead of running out of ideas before we even get to the box...:snoop:

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
haha well, we are getting the ball in the box more often now. Instead of running out of ideas before we even get to the box...:snoop:
it's been happening on a regular basis for less than 2 weeks, when we played bologna, lecce, genoa and torino. before that, we were impotent vs teams like napoli, milan, verona, lyon, and even shat bricks vs the likes of spal. let's not pretend we played any decent football for more than half a season, besides some occasional glory moments like the first half an hour vs lazio in the league, both matches vs inda, or the first hour vs napoli (before conceding 3 in like 15 minutes). most of juventus this season was an eyesore.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
it's been happening on a regular basis for less than 2 weeks, when we played bologna, lecce, genoa and torino. before that, we were impotent vs teams like napoli, milan, verona, lyon, and even shat bricks vs the likes of spal. let's not pretend we played any decent football for more than half a season, besides some occasional glory moments like the first half an hour vs lazio in the league, both matches vs inda, or the first hour vs napoli (before conceding 3 in like 15 minutes). most of juventus this season was an eyesore.
But most of Juventus this season was also a team learning what Sarri wants. Things, for whatever reason, have improved. I have my theories why, such as Matuidi playing less and we suddenly are playing much better. That's one of the reasons IMO. Another reason is Dybala has kicked it up like 10 gears and is incredibly dangerous. Rabiot has also improved drastically over the last 2 games and that really helps the team transition better. He doesn't kill our attack like the CM he benched does.

- - - Updated - - -

Ronaldo doesn't have to play with a massive black hole behind him sucking the attack out of our game. Plus Rabiot is much better with short passing and quick ball play than Matuidi so that helps too IMO.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
And Beckham was a freak of nature with his FKs.
His career conversion rate is around 10%, might be slightly less, which was helped by a spike playing in MLS (13%, presumably worse standard of goalkeeping). This puts him in the good-very good category, but not really up there with the better free-kick takers. As a comparison before Ronaldo arrived Dybala was scoring them at about 20% conversion. But also difficulty comes into play here.

Soccerment_FK_xG-per-shot_Conversion_filtered.png

This chart here since 14/15 gives away the better free-kick takers. Ronaldo is simply not one of them. Dybala, Coutinho, Mata, Maddison, these are all good shorter-range modern free-kick takers. Coutinho, Boschilia et al in the longer range. If I had to put Beckham somewhere in regards to difficulty of kicks taken and conversion then for me he would be around Fekir or Naldo's area on the chart. He took them from further out than Dybala typically does, but Beckham was not very good too close to the edge of the area because his technique was very deliberate and needed time to come down. He was best 30 yards out where he had space to whip it across the keeper and get it down with speed.

Beckham was famous for free-kicks for the following reasons;
- Celebrity status
- Unique, deliberate and attractive technique
- When he scored them they often looked fantastic
- Some were very important and famous (especially 2001 WCQ vs Greece)
- He had a film named after his kicking technique shortly afterwards

The Greece one is seen as his free-kick masterpiece, it's where his reputation took off. I, like a huge swathe of the English population, watched the game and saw Beckham miss multiple good free-kicks (it was either 6 or 7), to the point where when he stepped up to take the kick with England losing 2-1 in the 92nd minute I was kind of hoping someone else would take it. I think Sheringham wanted to, but Beckham would never let anyone else take them. The rest is history, greatest free-kick taker ever.

For me, David Beckham is the embodiment of "taker of great free-kicks" against "great free-kick taker". But his reputation demanded that when he stepped up to take one against your team you were genuinely fearful, because you knew it would be largely unstoppable if he got it right. The downside to them is that he didn't have a lot of variation - most were whipped in at speed across the keeper from both sides. Occasionally he'd pull out a lower curled effort, but not so much success.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
His career conversion rate is around 10%, might be slightly less, which was helped by a spike playing in MLS (13%, presumably worse standard of goalkeeping). This puts him in the good-very good category, but not really up there with the better free-kick takers. As a comparison before Ronaldo arrived Dybala was scoring them at about 20% conversion. But also difficulty comes into play here.

This chart here since 14/15 gives away the better free-kick takers. Ronaldo is simply not one of them. Dybala, Coutinho, Mata, Maddison, these are all good shorter-range modern free-kick takers. Coutinho, Boschilia et al in the longer range. If I had to put Beckham somewhere in regards to difficulty of kicks taken and conversion then for me he would be around Fekir or Naldo's area on the chart. He took them from further out than Dybala typically does, but Beckham was not very good too close to the edge of the area because his technique was very deliberate and needed time to come down. He was best 30 yards out where he had space to whip it across the keeper and get it down with speed.

Beckham was famous for free-kicks for the following reasons;
- Celebrity status
- Unique, deliberate and attractive technique
- When he scored them they often looked fantastic
- Some were very important and famous (especially 2001 WCQ vs Greece)
- He had a film named after his kicking technique shortly afterwards

The Greece one is seen as his free-kick masterpiece, it's where his reputation took off. I, like a huge swathe of the English population, watched the game and saw Beckham miss multiple good free-kicks (it was either 6 or 7), to the point where when he stepped up to take the kick with England losing 2-1 in the 92nd minute I was kind of hoping someone else would take it. I think Sheringham wanted to, but Beckham would never let anyone else take them. The rest is history, greatest free-kick taker ever.

For me, David Beckham is the embodiment of "taker of great free-kicks" against "great free-kick taker". But his reputation demanded that when he stepped up to take one against your team you were genuinely fearful, because you knew it would be largely unstoppable if he got it right. The downside to them is that he didn't have a lot of variation - most were whipped in at speed across the keeper from both sides. Occasionally he'd pull out a lower curled effort, but not so much success.
I can only recall seeing Roberto Carlo's one FK he hit with the outside of his left foot have as much movement as Beckham consistently did.

In baseball, you analyze the power hitters swing, for example, Ken Griffey Jr. had the most beautiful bat swing at least to me, and I think the same when I watch David's FKs. It's magnificent. The fact he could hit them so accurately with such velocity and spin from such a far distance was incredible.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I can only recall seeing Roberto Carlo's one FK he hit with the outside of his left foot have as much movement as Beckham consistently did.

In baseball, you analyze the power hitters swing, for example, Ken Griffey Jr. had the most beautiful bat swing at least to me, and I think the same when I watch David's FKs. It's magnificent. The fact he could hit them so accurately with such velocity and spin from such a far distance was incredible.
It's kind of why I always liked Recoba's technique, it had power and amazing curl.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
It's kind of why I always liked Recoba's technique, it had power and amazing curl.
With Del Piero his always seemed to drop or knuckle-ball kind of movement. But right on the outer-edge of the box he was deadly, same for Dybala.

Freak's like Beckham would hit from 30-40 yards and still look like they were rising the when it hit the net.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
2011-12 home fixture against Lazio the match was deadlocked 1-1 and we couldn’t create chances even with 71% possession. Then a free kick and both Del Piero and Pirlo standing behind the ball to take. How can you stop that?
most memorable scene of that memorable season for me.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013

Plus the assists

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 45)