Cristiano Ronaldo (143 Viewers)

Arcticdaly

Oct 3, 2018
There's a big difference between "great free-kick taker" and "scorer of great free-kicks", I don't think a lot of people differentiate, and fame plays a part.

Ronaldo's career conversation rate is just over 6%. His Juve conversation rate is now just over 2%, which is obviously abysmal. He knows that, and it was clearly playing on his mind.

For reference, the average of all direct free-kicks that are scored is around 5%. Better free-kick takers convert 10% or more. At one point Pjanic had a conversion rate close to 20%.

Ronaldo scored 23 FKs in 5 seasons for madrid (32 in total) and some games he scored 2 in one match plus he scored a good number at united too.

He was good at FKs in hes prime no one is saying he was the best but the last few years have tagged him with this "worst freekick taker ever" tag Just because he became bad at them since 2014 dont mean he is a poor FK taker in general.

Buy on AliExpress.com

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Ronaldo scored 23 FKs in 5 seasons for madrid and some games he scored 2 in one match plus he scored a good number at united too.

He was good at FKs in hes prime, Just because he became bad at them since 2014 dont mean he is a poor FK taker in general.
Stats are stats, he had better seasons and worse ones, but on average his conversion rate is mediocre.

There are free-kick takers who are much better than him who are not even half the player overall, it's a skill in its own right.

May 25, 2019
There's a big difference between "great free-kick taker" and "scorer of great free-kicks", I don't think a lot of people differentiate, and fame plays a part.

Ronaldo's career conversation rate is just over 6%. His Juve conversation rate is now just over 2%, which is obviously abysmal. He knows that, and it was clearly playing on his mind.

For reference, the average of all direct free-kicks that are scored is around 5%. Better free-kick takers convert 10% or more. At one point Pjanic had a conversion rate close to 20%.
Who are some of the best FK takers in football history? I would also wonder how many of the FKs that Ronaldo has taken over the years that some others wouldnt have even attempted due to the distance from the goal. Is there anywhere online that lists the distance of players FKs and their success rates at those distances? Without a doubt Ronaldos FKs have been legendarily bad since joining Juventus, hopefully that starts to change for the better.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Ronaldo scored 23 FKs in 5 seasons for madrid (32 in total) and some games he scored 2 in one match plus he scored a good number at united too.

He was good at FKs in hes prime no one is saying he was the best but the last few years have tagged him with this "worst freekick taker ever" tag Just because he became bad at them since 2014 dont mean he is a poor FK taker in general.
Indeed. He's very poor actually.

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
How can someone that scored 23 FKs in 5 seasons and the all time leading FK goal scorer in the CL be a very poor FK taker?? This is like saying Ronaldo is a shit dribbler and only score goals because he doesnt dribble as much since he got older.
Can you tell us in these 5 seasons how many fk did he take? Because at Juve we have wasted a lot of FK since Ronaldo’s arrival. Pjanic and Dybala are much better fk takers than him.

- - - Updated - - -

Ronaldo: 'I really needed that free kick'
Cristiano Ronaldo admits he had ‘really needed’ to score his first direct free kick in a Juventus jersey at the 43rd attempt, as they beat Torino 4-1.

CR7 had 43 attempts in all competition over the last two seasons, but they were either saved, off target or into the defensive wall.

“I really needed that free kick goal so I could get some confidence back,” confessed Ronaldo to Sky Sport Italia.

“We knew it would be a difficult game, but we worked hard, won and are now putting pressure on Lazio. We achieved the objective today.”

Paulo Dybala and Matthijs de Ligt were booked and will therefore be suspended against Milan.

“It doesn’t matter who scores goals, as long as the team wins. We’re all in good shape and will try to win against Milan too, which is another difficult match.”

Last edited:

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
How can someone that scored 23 FKs in 5 seasons and the all time leading FK goal scorer in the CL be a very poor FK taker?? This is like saying Ronaldo is a shit dribbler and only score goals because he doesnt dribble as much since he got older.
Because he takes a shit ton until he finally scores one?

What is his conversion rate and how is it not poor?

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Because he takes a shit ton until he finally scores one?

What is his conversion rate and how is it not poor?
Yeah, one really cant make a case about CR being a good free kick taker. As great a football player he undoubtedly is, when it comes to freekicks, he wouldnt be my choice. He attempted at least 50 or more freekicks before scoring 1.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002

Because we have eyes. Dont only see highlights of the scored freekicks, but whole career of massive volume of misses.

B3N

Floro Fckin' Flores
May 16, 2010
Who are some of the best FK takers in football history? I would also wonder how many of the FKs that Ronaldo has taken over the years that some others wouldnt have even attempted due to the distance from the goal. Is there anywhere online that lists the distance of players FKs and their success rates at those distances? Without a doubt Ronaldos FKs have been legendarily bad since joining Juventus, hopefully that starts to change for the better.
Check out Mihajlovic for distance. Around the box with Pirlo it almost became like pks for us.

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
I belive Juninho pernanbucano is one of the best ever. Riquelme was good also as is pirlo, Pjanic..

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
Ronaldo was an amazing free kick taker early in his career, which is where most of those stats come from.

I don’t understand why he changed his technique. He can still hit a fantastic normal free kick when he wants to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 133)