Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (124 Viewers)

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
Bro, you are literally outright denying mortality rates to argue your point. Not sure why you’re laughing at anyone. Fearmongering is stupid, but so is outright dismissiveness because “hurr durr fake news”. That’s Trump style

@Raphaël brought up examples of Ebola, SARs, common flu as worse. But that’s silly, he contradicts himself. Ebola is deadly as hell, but too deadly and not easily communicable enough to go around the world. Common flu has less than 1/10th the mortality rate of Covid-19 thus far, but is a worldwide seasonal thing that 100s of millions get so obviously death toll is way higher. SARs had higher mortality rate but was way less infectious so less than half the people died that have died from Covid-19 thus far.

So which is it? Mortality rate (his argument for Ebola and SARs) or overall death toll and rate of infection (common flu)?

In the modern world pandemics are far more likely in viruses with less than 5% mortality rates and long incubation periods. Things that hit way harder and way faster are easier to contain. Or so suggests most CDC info/etc.
I documented a little about the Spanish flu.
So apparently the virus suffered mutations and went through 3 phases. Apparently the most dangerous mutation, the one that kills rapidly, died itself out, because it infected rapidly and the potential of rapidly spreading died with the hosts. In the end more people begun to suffer from the easiest mutation and the virus just died itself out.
October 1918 had the greatest death toll and by mid November 2018 new cases appeared sporadically until it disappeared all together.
War exhaustion and malnutrition contributed greatly in the large death of younger adults.
So this covid 19 virus could suffer mutations eventually but we haven't reached that stage yet and hopefully we never will.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
is that a mammal with scales? that thing looks like a walking disease factory.
Pangolins. Apparently their scales are super popular in China and Vietnam as traditional medicine for various ailments. They also eat the meat at times. Lol

- - - Updated - - -

It's a pangolin. Kind of an anteater/armadillo, but the chinese eat them to get boners and now we have coronavirus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...not-its-time-crack-down-illegal-animal-trade/
:tup:

Beat me to it ;)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I documented a little about the Spanish flu.
So apparently the virus suffered mutations and went through 3 phases. Apparently the most dangerous mutation, the one that kills rapidly, died itself out, because it infected rapidly and the potential of rapidly spreading died with the hosts. In the end more people begun to suffer from the easiest mutation and the virus just died itself out.
October 1918 had the greatest death toll and by mid November 2018 new cases appeared sporadically until it disappeared all together.
War exhaustion and malnutrition contributed greatly in the large death of younger adults.
So this covid 19 virus could suffer mutations eventually but we haven't reached that stage yet and hopefully we never will.
:tup:

Thanks. Didn’t know the mutations and 3 phases stuff. I remember reading that ~99% of deaths from it in 1918-19 were people under 65, which is crazy. And most likely to die were pregnant women. Apparently the reason for the above is that the virus triggered overreaction of the body’s immune system which was more harmful to those with strong immune systems.

Apr 17, 2013
i agree with that but its silly to claim this is being blown out of proportion.

neither you or dusan seem to want to address actual claims i made like the chinese government quarantining 700 million people in a move that will potentially wreck their economy. why would they do that if it wasnt an immensely serious situation? please explain china's endgame in that movr if the situation is not serious?
700 millions, where did you find these figures ?

Precautionary principle and communication of China more transparent since the Sras case. No one denies the existence of coronavirus, but media coverage. No one knows the origin, the exact number of people affected or the number of deaths, but the media gives rise to an anxious situation as always in such cases.

Instead of panicking vainly we will kindly wait for the experts to work and find a solution as usual, otherwise yes it will be the end of humanity and we will all die in excruciating suffering.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
700 millions, where did you find these figures ?

Precautionary principle and communication of China more transparent since the Sras case. No one denies the existence of coronavirus, but media coverage. No one knows the origin, the exact number of people affected or the number of deaths, but the media gives rise to an anxious situation as always in such cases.

Instead of panicking vainly we will kindly wait for the experts to work and find a solution as usual, otherwise yes it will be the end of humanity and we will all die in excruciating suffering.
fair enough i prefer to err on the side of caution in situation and a lack of confirmed knowledge on virus origin or total death toll does not mean that this is not potentially serious and if it is even potentially serious (possible future mutations etc) action should be taken with assumption that the worst case scenario can happen.

and it is not the media response that concerns me but the response of governments.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
This is so a bio weapon on the loose :lol:
of course it is

when chairman xi wakes you up at night yelling DUDE YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIRE then first thing you do is cover your house in gasoline since you can be certain of only one thing: your house was/is/will never be on fire and gasoline soaked houses are sold a billion each on real estate market the next day

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 107)