Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (181 Viewers)

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #124
    elderberry syrup and honey can help the immune system. Get a good sleep and try to isolate. I also drink a tiny bit of olive oil if I feel something in my throat. Sleep well and don't smoke. I think hookah can make things worse with your lungs. Good luck.
    Here are a few things that I've "heard" will help the immune system and guard against corona-like viruses. No proof via studies though.

Elderberry
    Tumeric
    Vitamin C
    Colloidal Silver
    Nascent Iodine (either orally or droplet in the nostrils, no idea if that works, could be BS)

Doctors have also treated virus patients with drugs that target HIV and Malaria.

https://www.latimes.com/science/sto...vid-19-with-drugs-targeting-hiv-malaria-ebola

- - - Updated - - -

So we’re just okay with old people dying? Weren’t you devastated by your grandparent dying? I know I was when my Ma’s parents died.

If the overall mortality rate is over 10x higher, that means it’s a lot more serious than common flu, amongst elders especially of course. The mortality rate is only like 0.4% among healthy people under 50. But common flu has a mortality rate under 0.05% in that same age group.

It’s a far deadlier virus. It’s just that simple. Whether it actually creates a pandemic is another story, and the media should of course chill a little there, while keeping people informed.
    There were also reports from both China and South Korea that younger doctors who contracted the virus ended up dying from it. These were Doctors between 30 and 40. Now, one could say their immune systems were at risk due to being around patients with the virus, but that's still not a good sign.

Again, going back to the theory that you can gauge the seriousness of a situation by the proportionate response, China wouldn't be shutting down entire cities and shuttering all businesses for several weeks if they thought this virus was less deadly than the seasonal flu. They seem like a rather inept and reactionary government, but they aren't stupid -- they know their economy would suffer from their actions, but they did it anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

i never disagreed that the a proft seeking media will seek to increase viewership through stories that scare on incite. i agree with that but its silly to claim this is being blown out of proportion.

neither you or dusan seem to want to address actual claims i made like the chinese government quarantining 700 million people in a move that will potentially wreck their economy. why would they do that if it wasnt an immensely serious situation? please explain china's endgame in that movr if the situation is not serious?

- - - Updated - - -

I did make points none if which you even bothered to address bevause they conflict with how youve already made up your mind.

its funny because i remember shortly after trump election you were on here ranting about how stupid americans are for it but all youve been able articulate, not actually addressing anything i said or points i made, is "you really believe mainstream media bruh?" aka trump supporter 101

is the chinese govt being duped by mainstream western media too? is that your argument? please do explain their rational behind the quarantine
    And to add to your point, the mainstream media in the US really isn't hyping the virus whatsoever. MSM simply covers the numbers reported from other countries and may have a former CDC employee on for an interview, but that's about it. I haven't seen many question the official numbers from China, including the mortality rate. While watching CNBC earlier, they did admit the fears of the virus spreading were most likely impacting the markets, but much of that is based on economic concerns from China instead of thousands or millions of people dying.

At the end of the day, you can't really trust media outlets, and instead you need to look at raw data. Gold up, bitcoin up, oil down, stocks down, storable food suppliers reporting sales through the roof, military base reports of food supplies dwindling, N95 respirators on back order, governments shutting down entire cities and denying travel/entry, et cetera. That's a rather large and disproportionate response to a threat that is similar to the common flu.

- - - Updated - - -

I documented a little about the Spanish flu.
    So apparently the virus suffered mutations and went through 3 phases. Apparently the most dangerous mutation, the one that kills rapidly, died itself out, because it infected rapidly and the potential of rapidly spreading died with the hosts. In the end more people begun to suffer from the easiest mutation and the virus just died itself out.
    October 1918 had the greatest death toll and by mid November 2018 new cases appeared sporadically until it disappeared all together.
    War exhaustion and malnutrition contributed greatly in the large death of younger adults.
    So this covid 19 virus could suffer mutations eventually but we haven't reached that stage yet and hopefully we never will.
    It also goes without saying that the medical community was a wee bit less advanced 100 years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

@Kyle Don't worry China's government is handling the situation.
    I wish they would do this for anyone who is detected to have coughed or sneezed at an airport. One cough = swat team, two coughs = fish net, three coughs = nerve gassing.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully he's right that the vast majority of cases are mild. But I still think the verdict is out on that. Moreover, I think the quarantine zones can at least slow the infection rate, thus buying more time to prepare. I believe one of the videos from a doctor mentioned that before.

There's also the rule of thumb that governments have to "do something", otherwise they will take more blame.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and Cramer is a bonafide buffoon, but i don't fault him for taking fools for a ride.
    No doubt about that. He was fun to watch in college, but it's a shame mom and pop investors buy into him. Another joke are those option "trader" Najarian brothers.

- - - Updated - - -

Summary of news from Today:

• Stocks slide as CDC releases new US case numbers
    • The number of cases worldwide topping 80,000.
    • Italy reports 7th death, 200+ confirmed cases
    • Spain reports 3rd case
    • WHO says outbreak not yet a 'pandemic'
    • WH reportedly considering expulsion of Chinese journalists in retaliation for WSJ reporters
    • US consulate in Milan temporarily halts visas
    • California has 8,000 under 'self-imposed quarantine'
    • CDC warns Americans against travel to South Korea
    • Italian finance minister suspends tax payments in virus-hit areas
    • First cases reported in Oman, Bahrain
    • WHO kowtows to China in statement
    • Wuhan issues order to loosen lockdown, then U-turns :shifty:
    • NHC says outbreak is fading, though situation remains "grim" :shifty::shifty:
    • 2 new cases confirmed in Canada
    • China approves crackdown on wildlife trade after WHO says virus likely came from bats
    • Iranian lawmaker says more than 50 deaths in Qom; officials say 12
    • Hong Kong bars South Koreans
    • South Korean cases rise 60 to 893, Daegu city locked down. :shifty:
    https://www.zerohedge.com/geopoliti...-3-hours-later-italy-cases-soar-past-200-live

Last edited:

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
    @Kyle Don't worry China's government is handling the situation.
    :lol: this has to be the first i've seen the deployment of "dog-catcher" nets on people that wasn't a cartoon. You have to respect mix of comical and utterly dehumanizing.

- - - Updated - - -

This is so a bio weapon on the loose :lol:
    serious?
    Actually in war you don't want to kill, you want to drain resources, so it's actually better to wound/disable than it is to kill.
    :agree: caring for 1 (seriously) wounded man consumes 3x the labor/resources lost of 1 dead man

- - - Updated - - -

This is so a bio weapon on the loose :lol:
    serious?
    Actually in war you don't want to kill, you want to drain resources, so it's actually better to wound/disable than it is to kill.
    :agree: caring for 1 (seriously) wounded man consumes 3x the labor/resources lost of 1 dead man
    Again, going back to the theory that you can gauge the seriousness of a situation by the proportionate response, China wouldn't be shutting down entire cities and shuttering all businesses for several weeks if they thought this virus was less deadly than the seasonal flu. They seem like a rather inept and reactionary government, but they aren't stupid -- they know their economy would suffer from their actions, but they did it anyway.
    Thank you ^

And to add to your point, the mainstream media in the US really isn't hyping the virus whatsoever. MSM simply covers the numbers reported from other countries and may have a former CDC employee on for an interview, but that's about it. I haven't seen many question the official numbers from China, including the mortality rate. While watching CNBC earlier, they did admit the fears of the virus spreading were most likely impacting the markets, but much of that is based on economic concerns from China instead of thousands or millions of people dying.

At the end of the day, you can't really trust media outlets, and instead you need to look at raw data. Gold up, bitcoin up, oil down, stocks down, storable food suppliers reporting sales through the roof, military base reports of food supplies dwindling, N95 respirators on back order, governments shutting down entire cities and denying travel/entry, et cetera. That's a rather large and disproportionate response to a threat that is similar to the common flu.
    If anything, it seems to me like MSM has been unusually cautious this time. Didn't play up the threat (except financially). Probably because nobody can or should trust the Chinese government.

Last edited:

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    I have a feeling this is just exaggerated to to point that you need to kill Chinese economy as everybody will stop the import of their stuff for a long period of time.

I don't believe this is as big as world is breaking it out to be for the same reasons. IMO it's an economic war, not health war. People just never pay attention to regular flu and death rates on daily bases. It's easy for media to make it sound huge.
    You could have started your statement by saying it's an unpopular opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

How the fuck do you eat a bat man ffs? Jesus fuckin Christ.
    I usually start with the wings.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    :lol: this has to be the first i've seen the deployment of "dog-catcher" nets on people that wasn't a cartoon. You have to respect mix of comical and utterly dehumanizing.

- - - Updated - - -

serious?

- - - Updated - - -

serious?

Thank you ^

If anything, it seems to me like MSM has been unusually cautious this time. Didn't play up the threat (except financially). Probably because nobody can or should trust the Chinese government.
    Honestly i have no clue, but i also don't think it's as remote a possibility as advertised.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    If WHO elevates this to pandemic (lol), will that make you guys panic more or less?
    For myself? Not at all. It has a 1-3% mortality rate, and affect vulnerable people. But I'd be concerned for people such as my dad, who has recently had fairly serious pneumonia, or my brother-in-law, who has also had pneumonia, is a kidney transplant patient, and has a low immune system.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
    May 3, 2012
    Official death toll in Iran is now 15. Also deputy minister of health who defiantly denied unofficial death toll is now in quarantine.

Last edited:

Wittl

Contributor
    Feb 21, 2017
    The suspension of Air France flights to China has been extended until March 15, however every day there are Air China planes landing at Paris, what is the logic of suspending on one side and allowing on the other ?
    Lol.

Maybe to protect the air france crew. But yes, still lol.

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
    Lol.

Maybe to protect the air france crew. But yes, still lol.
    That's right. It's a corporate decision. Air france is protecting their assets and employees. Countries in general don't want to close complete borders cuz it would imply an economic collapse next day

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    Just symbolic actions to make people more at ease and if shit hits the fan be like look we did this, like i said you can't contain this without going at small as the neighborhood level which won't happen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 172)