Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (38 Viewers)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
That also works the other way around though.

The Paul Ehrlich institute are experts, they advised to stop the vaccination with AstraZeneca for now - how would it look for the average Joe If we keep using it against the advice from experts? Let just one person die from it or develop severe complications and no one is gonna take it anymore.

The AstraZeneca vaccine has a bad reputation already anyway with people not eager on getting it, If we kept using it just like that, brushing aside possible side effects, that'd be the final nail in the coffin for their vaccine.
I think we all know why it originally had a bad reputation, and it's nothing to do with science.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Let's put it this way, if tomorrow there was a vaccine for cancer with the same odds of going wrong as this one, everyone will line up to take it, but covid people are reluctant why's that
Because cancer is more deadly, and it is not transmissible? The choices you make with cancer only affect your health. Unfortunately with coronavirus pretending it doesn't exist doesn't only impact yourself.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Because cancer is more deadly, and it is not transmissible? The choices you make with cancer only affect your health. Unfortunately with coronavirus pretending it doesn't exist doesn't only impact yourself.
Look at numbers for cancer deaths in us and uk. As for transmissibility there's HPV. unfortunately appeal to a false sense of ethics and non sequitur are not valid, hey do you really need that phone? That money could be spent to help others, you pretending they don't exist does impact their plight. It's truly amazing how easily manipulated people are.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
I think we all know why it originally had a bad reputation, and it's nothing to do with science.
First they didn't deliver (who's fault that is I don't care, has nothing to do with the vaccine itself anyway)

But that was soon followed by the question whether or not it actually works for elderly people, as there apparently weren't enough studies to back that up, and now you have the blood clot cases to investigate. The bad reputation is very much science based, or at least lack of information/transparency

Last edited:

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56360646

37 cases of blood clots recorded out of 17 million vaccinations. That's 0.000002%. I can partly understand taking precautionary measures but I'd be surprised if they ever tie in those kind of statistics as anything other than probability across such a large number of people. VTE causes over 500,000 deaths across the EU each year. How are they going to decide which ones are caused by vaccinations? The idea of cause and effect surely can't be lost on people. DVT, CVT or pulmonary embolisms can randomly kill people within anything from hours to months down the line.

Pausing use of the vaccine will certainly cost more lives than what come from any side effects or speculated side effects. That lack of access and reduced confidence will stop people taking it. You said it yourself in this thread, based on a minute and precautionary statistical move.

BTW what the hell are the Czechs doing right now, sprinkling coronavirus on their breakfast cereal?
That stat is flawed, 17 million doses have been given to date. However, 37 cases of blood clots were recorded since last week. Either way, the percentage would still be low enough to regarded as negligible.

I dont like how media reports this, straight from the horses mouth.

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-c...e-safety-of-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca.html

“Around 17 million people in the EU and UK have now received our vaccine, and the number of cases of blood clots reported in this group is lower than the hundreds of cases that would be expected among the general population.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
That stat is flawed, 17 million doses have been given to date. However, 37 cases of blood clots were recorded since last week. Either way, the percentage would still be low enough to regarded as negligible.
But don't you think we should should look into it regardless?

Not to piss off some big pharma or another country, but to dismiss the growing scepticism people have regarding vaccines.

Why would you as healthy young person take a vaccine that may or may not cause blood clots? Look into it and sort it out, or give me another one.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Look at numbers for cancer deaths in us and uk. As for transmissibility there's HPV. unfortunately appeal to a false sense of ethics and non sequitur are not valid, hey do you really need that phone? That money could be spent to help others, you pretending they don't exist does impact their plight. It's truly amazing how easily manipulated people are.
I don't particularly see it as an ethical argument, but a common sense one in reducing numbers enough so people can lead regular lives. That someone's obese father or 85 year old granny doesn't die is an additional bonus. Who wouldn't want that? It is not a false sense to everybody, but if that is your take then fine.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56360646

37 cases of blood clots recorded out of 17 million vaccinations. That's 0.000002%. I can partly understand taking precautionary measures but I'd be surprised if they ever tie in those kind of statistics as anything other than probability across such a large number of people. VTE causes over 500,000 deaths across the EU each year. How are they going to decide which ones are caused by vaccinations? The idea of cause and effect surely can't be lost on people. DVT, CVT or pulmonary embolisms can randomly kill people within anything from hours to months down the line.

Pausing use of the vaccine will certainly cost more lives than what come from any side effects or speculated side effects. That lack of access and reduced confidence will stop people taking it. You said it yourself in this thread, based on a minute and precautionary statistical move.

BTW what the hell are the Czechs doing right now, sprinkling coronavirus on their breakfast cereal?
They pretend they care about people but that just confirms it's all political bullshit.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Are you getting Astrazeneca?
I've no idea, it could be either AZ or Pfizer. I'm not bothered which one it is. I know from others that both can make you feel like shit for a day or two.

If I die from a blood clot at least I don't have to read Elvin's post-CL exit posts near year.

First they didn't deliver (who's fault that is I don't care, has nothing to do with the vaccine itself anyway)

But that was soon followed by the question whether or not it actually works for elderly people, as there apparently weren't enough studies to back that up, and now you have the blood clot cases to investigate. The bad reputation is very much science based, or at least lack of information/transparency
You think this bad media rep is based on science, but I disagree. Micron made a political play and eventually backed down from pressure. But it's up to each member state to make their own decisions, interpret the data. Ultimately what I see is more EU bureaucracy. The UK might have jumped in with both feet but it is working very well so far.

Not to piss off some big pharma or another country, but to dismiss the growing scepticism people have regarding vaccines.

Why would you as healthy young person take a vaccine that may or may not cause blood clots? Look into it and sort it out, or give me another one.
I'm not criticising the procedure. That is absolutely correct and a tried and tested scientific method - where data is insufficient you stop the application until further testing. But there has never been a case where the entire population is the sample, so you have to weigh one against the other. I just think that in this scenario one decision is better than the other.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006

They should look at it, there are way too many countries involved now, even though it's precautionary. WHO has been saying all along there is no medical link between the vaccine and blood clots but are now reviewing it themselves, and rightly so. There needs to be a certain level of confidence and both sides need to be sensible about it.

I've personally been apprehensive about these vaccines, throughout this journey, to me everything was rushed. Creating a vaccine takes a number of years, and there are reasons behind that. I remember the CEO of Pfizer and Merck were the first to highlight that it would be a huge feat to prepare one within a year, in fact they were saying late 2021 at one point. To me it felt like a race, it's been created but at what cost? what shortcuts were made? how the risks were mitigated? we will never know...

That said, every vaccine carries a risk and in the end, if the numbers of recipients with thrombosis are actually higher than reported then it's possibly to do with an underlying and unknown medical condition that wasn't spotted during trials they will find out.

As a prediction, i reckon they''ll get to bottom of it new guidance will be issued, some fines might make their way, some countries will ban it, others will have no choice but to continue or accept it. On the other hand, if nothing is found, then maybe it is all political.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
I've no idea, it could be either AZ or Pfizer. I'm not bothered which one it is. I know from others that both can make you feel like shit for a day or two.

If I die from a blood clot at least I don't have to read Elvin's post-CL exit posts near year.

:D
Always look on the bright side of death

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 27)