Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (58 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Came across this great assessment:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a...-airbnb-become-obsolete-after-the-coronavirus

It's pretty clear that AirBnB is a pay-to-let scheme for investors and not at all about communities and sharing economies. And I write you this living on the only inhabited unit of a 6-story building in the heart of Lisbon. Every other floor was dedicated to AirBnB leasing. Mine was only converted from an AirBnB by us because our landlord had three kids and grew tired of the hassle and thus turned it over to longer-term locals.

AirBnB won't go away. But its business model has probably just been sliced to 20% of what it was three months ago, now that so many real estate speculators are naked with extra mortgages and having to flood the local rental market with anywhere from 40-60% more inventory that was previously locked up for tourists.

Oh man, this means that 30-40% of the rental property market in major cities across the world is backed by an overextended owner bankrupt of any revenue streams to cover costs for many, many months. This has to be another real estate scam meltdown coming in the works globally in the next 3-6 months. This isn't even a question of tenants holding off on paying rent and governments helping with a bailout. These are property speculators with fallow assets and zero income to fend off mortgage defaults.

If you want to know why millennials have been unable to afford a place in cities, here's your smoking gun. The inventory was being used as an asset to store capital. Ironically, millennials paying for AirBnBs everywhere were contributing to why they could never afford these places.

Last edited:

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
I’d rather stay in an Airbnb than hotel and I think most people feel the same. I think the business will be fine, people love to travel and will get right back into it once planes are back up.
It needs some form of regulation. AirBnB, as it is right now, will make once affordable communities into something like block hotels, forces many out, and drives the rent up for the ones who cannot leave.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
It needs some form of regulation. AirBnB, as it is right now, will make once affordable communities into something like block hotels, forces many out, and drives the rent up for the ones who cannot leave.
Regulation and some form of limited licensing. Most cities on the coast here in Canada have huge rental unit availability issues right now because people are willing to leave places either empty or only offer short term rentals through the winter because they can make so much more through basically unregulated and unlicensed air’bnb over the nicer 6 months of the year.

Hotels played a part in this, getting more and more expensive, to the point it was close to impossible for the average person to stay in them during travels... but air’bnb as a cure for this is causing a lot of problems, even though personally, being selfish, I like using air’bnb.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Regulation and some form of limited licensing. Most cities on the coast here in Canada have huge rental unit availability issues right now because people are willing to leave places either empty or only offer short term rentals through the winter because they can make so much more through basically unregulated and unlicensed air’bnb over the nicer 6 months of the year.

Hotels played a part in this, getting more and more expensive, to the point it was close to impossible for the average person to stay in them during travels... but air’bnb as a cure for this is causing a lot of problems, even though personally, being selfish, I like using air’bnb.
I think governments may need to foreclose on all the speculation owners who won't be able to make their mortgages -- give them a discounted value on the property and create quasi-federal housing out of them until at which point over time they can be privatized to actual resident owners. Because the buy-to-let model is really just another form of stupid that got people buying houses in Las Vegas on interest-only loans 13 years ago. A good idea got financialized to the point where it was superfragile and capable of mass financial and neighborhood destruction.

I do have to say though, it is pretty awesome having a 6-story building all to myself with no other tenants but the two of us. But that just reflects the magnitude of the overleveraged financial disaster all around me.

I don't blame hotels at all for this. Few jacked their prices up to make bigger profits, because they weren't all that profitable. They paid taxes, the employed people in the local economy, and they were zoned in ways as to not gut neighborhoods of their residents and the stores that served those residents.

AirBnB created a regulatory loophole that got exploited massively to the point of collapse. And yes, the units were cheaper than hotels. But the act of using them was just setting us all up for eventual systemic failure and collapse.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
The WHO is a bit cornered to be honest. If they say anything that doesn't remotely go China's way, the CCP will throw a tantrum and that is probably not the time for that. Especially since they supply goods and medical personnel to other countries
This is the kind of appeasement attitude that got us in this mess, for all his faults Trump just doesn't put up with that shit and i respect him for that. China is a clear and immediate danger that we need to address without being bogged down about the possible consequences, this is an existentialist threat.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
This is the kind of appeasement attitude that got us in this mess, for all his faults Trump just doesn't put up with that shit and i respect him for that. China is a clear and immediate danger that we need to address without being bogged down about the possible consequences, this is an existentialist threat.
Yeah, Trump is right about blaming China.
He also shouldn't forget to blame himself.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
What do you think the net impact of these proposals are? US pays 23% of WHO's funding.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/02/1...ronavirus-state-department-usaid-budget-cuts/

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
I agree they are a danger, but should they be dealt with during the pandemic? I'm simply wondering

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
The best match between the self assessment you provided and the profile of a fictional character as rated by other people who have taken this survey is the character Sayid Jarrah (LOST).

1.jpg

90% match

9th pick is black panther? :lol:

tenor.gif

1. Sayid Jarrah (LOST): 90%
  2. Nick Fury (Marvel Cinematic Universe): 89%
  3. Bruce Wayne (The Dark Knight): 89%
  4. Black Widow (Marvel Cinematic Universe): 88%
  5. Benjamin Sisko (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine): 87%
  6. Captain Marvel (Marvel Cinematic Universe): 87%
  7. Kima Greggs (The Wire): 86%
  8. Trinity (The Matrix): 86%
  9. Black Panther (Marvel Cinematic Universe): 85%
  10. Gamora (Marvel Cinematic Universe): 85%
  11. Cristina Yang (Grey's Anatomy): 85%
  12. Princess Leia (Star Wars): 85%
  13. Zoe Washburne (Firefly + Serenity): 84%
  14. Russell 'Stringer' Bell (The Wire): 84%
  15. Maeve Millay (Westworld): 84%
  16. Harvey Dent (The Dark Knight): 84%
  17. Elizabeth Swann (Pirates of the Caribbean): 84%
  18. Arya Stark (Game of Thrones): 83%
  19. Lee 'Apollo' Adama (Battlestar Galactica): 83%
  20. Morpheus (The Matrix): 83%
  21. Asha Greyjoy (Game of Thrones): 81%
  22. Jack Shephard (LOST): 81%
  23. Desmond Hume (LOST): 81%
  24. Dukat (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine): 81%
  25. Tony Stark (Marvel Cinematic Universe): 81%
  26. Dr. Strange (Marvel Cinematic Universe): 81%
  27. Aragorn (Lord of the Rings): 81%
  28. Legolas (Lord of the Rings): 81%
  29. The Operative (Firefly + Serenity): 81%
  30. Dolores Abernathy (Westworld): 81%

Last edited:

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I agree they are a danger, but should they be dealt with during the pandemic? I'm simply wondering
No i don't think we should do it now and i don't think we should take em on head on either, but it doesn't mean our resolve should genuflect to their every whim for fear of upsetting them, we should grow some balls and prepare for sacrifices or at least bluff to that.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
I meant his attitude towards China in general, and one of the takeaways from this pandemic is how utterly useless and china cucked the WHO is. Would you say anything would be different if the WHO didn't exist?
There's a difference between Trump's hurr durr and actual policy proposals that his majesty doesn't have a clue about. Trump and his base are all about cutting foreign aid in the name of America First, and generally downplaying coalition building. That opens a gap, which China can benefit from.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 39)