Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (100 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I am asking because they could use them. As Enron said, a city like that should always have medical supplies like that stockpiled...this stuff spreads like wildfire in a city like NYC, that's why I am asking. Had no Idea trump mentioned it

- - - Updated - - -

I think so too, I think major cities should always have stuff stores for things like this. I think we will have learned our lesson after this, hopefully we A.) address the supply chain issues and B.) have more of these devices available for such emergencies.
my post is sarcasm and truth. Sure, ny should have more stuff stockpiled but they were most likely reflecting the attitude portrayed by the federal government.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I agree. I don't know how many ventilators they had in reserve but a city of this proportions should have a huge stockpile. That's in theory, at least. In practice, when you have such a huge population, packed like sardines, I think you are bound to underestimate how much of pretty much anything you may need down the line.

What America should take out of all this is that it is simply not ready to handle a crisis. So much of the production of essential supplies, supplies of strategic significance in the midst of a crisis, has been outsourced to freakin' China, and not only, over the years. Forget about the general public, hospital workers are running out of supplies necessary for them to do their job. US companies, the entire highly-touted US industrial complex, have been caught with their pants down and it's embarrassing how disjoint and disorganized everything is.
We sure love talking about how amazing we are, how we are the best at everything, but when push came to shove, we shat the bed. Makes sense, though - the only thing complacency breeds is ineptitude and failure.
we are definitely not ready. It’s interesting to see our health care system implode. But think we all know how many changes will come as a result

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Just in time and globalization are great things, but they're not for everything.

Poor healthcare system was already known, and firing pandemic team was a very Trump thing to do, but we should've already had a stockpile of masks and other supplies from before.

500m N95 masks costs less than a defense plane.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
my post is sarcasm and truth. Sure, ny should have more stuff stockpiled but they were most likely reflecting the attitude portrayed by the federal government.
I wasn't taking the "fuck New York" part of the comment seriously, the other part I was because I think that should have been a priority whether its the mayor, governor or feds.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
:lol: what kind of an idiot can’t predict a respiratory disease pandemic a few years before it happens?
I'm glad you find it funny. Considering MERS happening the same year he decided not to purchase the equipment, years before that was SARS...all respiratory related pandemics...

I mean it seems logical considering just about all the recent epidemics/pandemics are respiratory related one would think you'd want a major city like NYC (or any major city) covered for events like this or at least think long term about them.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
we are definitely not ready. It’s interesting to see our health care system implode. But think we all know how many changes will come as a result
Maybe down the line. I don't expect much from this administration, tbh. Making wholesale changes would require willingness to look in the mirror and admit failure. Can you honestly imagine Trump doing that?

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
You are right. That's the right number.

Still a horrible thing to see more than 1500 die in 3 days. The overall number of death is 7503 in Italy.
Today's number of 683 deaths in Italy is no doubt horrible, but it's related to the huge number of cases from the previous 7-10 days. This number of dead patients will even grow in the following days once those diagnosed from March 19-March 25 start dying.
It's the number of new cases which is most important and it's encouraging indeed. If in a day or two they reach close to that number of 4207 from March 18, then the curve is definitely taking the right shape. In the following 3 weeks (judging by South Korea's case) the number of new cases will drop below 300-400 a day and in the next 2-3 weeks it should be completely under control. Give or take, I give 6 weeks before everything's under control.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 90)