Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (158 Viewers)

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
You guys are paying too much attn to individual numbers and taking them at face value.

Infection rate also reflects increase in number of testing kits and tests when applicable. There will be big jumps in US #s, not just bc of ineptitude of govt, healthcare and infectious nature of virus.

Mortality rate figure also has to do with number of tests done. Total mortality divided by # of tests, not actual infected #, times 100. Edit: And it depends on # of icu's relative to # of icu's needed.

Trend from Italy correlates with incubation period and start of lockdown.

Something like 45% of Americans over 45 are obese. There should be considerably higher mortality rate in 40-60 age group in the US compared to Europe.

Unsurprisingly, Asians from the Orient have been the best at tackling this. Densely populated and less organized places like South Asia might get completely fucked unless heat slows this virus down a little.
Increase in the numbers is showing that testing is still catching up with the real number of infected out there. For a population the size of the US, considering the delayed response in virtually every aspect, having only 20-30K officially infected is actually worrisome as it is indicative of inadequate testing procedures and availability. It is indicative of the government not having things under control as they likely lack idea of the real scope of the spread.

Having a good estimate of the number of infected, would allow for a good estimate of hospital beds and supplies that will be necessary in the coming days and months.

Also, a good estimate of the scale of infection would be helpful in taking more timely and better, more adequate, measures in terms of stopping the spread from growing.
For example, say you have a US state with only 50 official cases, that does't sound like a dire situation, and the governor of said state probably won't take sever lockdown measures. But what if tests were widely available and testing showed that the (projected) number of infected is not 50 but 50K. Having that information would result in more timely measures to limit the spread of the virus.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
What was his objection?
I don’t know the real problem behind it, but the amendment he added (which had to be put to vote and resulted in the delay) was total bs. It had 2 parts: people who receive aid should provide their social security number, and US troops should leave Afghanistan by the end of the year. Everybody knew there was no chance of this being passed, so it was just to delay the final vote, which makes it even worse.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
I don’t know the real problem behind it, but the amendment he added (which had to be put to vote and resulted in the delay) was total bs. It had 2 parts: people who receive aid should provide their social security number, and US troops should leave Afghanistan by the end of the year. Everybody knew there was no chance of this being passed, so it was just to delay the final vote, which makes it even worse.
What a cunt.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Prolly just that, didn't wanna give any money to the undocumented

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Jesus. What could his argument possibly have been? What's the libertarian angle here? Virus testing must infringe constitutional rights in some way.

Carona virus relief bill being voted on in the US Senate as we speak. Hearing a surprising amount of 'no'.
It’s hard to understand why. I think it may have something to do with debt increase.

- - - Updated - - -

Prolly just that, didn't wanna give any money to the undocumented
If I wanna guess I’d say he wants his name in “no” column on any spending bill, but I’m not sure.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
Increase in the numbers is showing that testing is still catching up with the real number of infected out there. For a population the size of the US, considering the delayed response in virtually every aspect, having only 20-30K officially infected is actually worrisome as it is indicative of inadequate testing procedures and availability. It is indicative of the government not having things under control as they likely lack idea of the real scope of the spread.

Having a good estimate of the number of infected, would allow for a good estimate of hospital beds and supplies that will be necessary in the coming days and months.

Also, a good estimate of the scale of infection would be helpful in taking more timely and better, more adequate, measures in terms of stopping the spread from growing.
For example, say you have a US state with only 50 official cases, that does't sound like a dire situation, and the governor of said state probably won't take sever lockdown measures. But what if tests were widely available and testing showed that the (projected) number of infected is not 50 but 50K. Having that information would result in more timely measures to limit the spread of the virus.
To clarify my previous point - a real estimate of the spread you gain not by testing only people who are showing symptoms, but rather by testing people randomly, with or without symptoms. Once you build a large enough sample size, from there you can extrapolate and get a decent estimate of the actual scope of the spread.

Because the US still don't have enough available tests, they keep those tests only for people who are already showing symptoms. Whatever results you get out of such testing, considering the long incubation period, won't give you much of a useful estimate of the real scope of the spread.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Rand Paul, the only senator to vote against emergency coronavirus funding has now tested positive for coronavirus. :lol2:
Prolly got it from his neighbor.

There are a lot of stories about us following the Italian trend (which is sadly true), I really hope from tomorrow on we go in total lockdown as a group of people still don't really understand the risks.
Any country that doesn’t have aggressive testing and tracing is pretty much doomed to follow the Italy trajectory.

Weekly Column?

Is that some sexual innuendo for all the available laydeez in the state?

We got a friend who owns several nail salons. They’re all still open and according to him the place has been packed as if it was Christmas time and most of the people mentioned they’re “working at their home offices”. The motherfuckers that have no excuse but to stay home are actually the ones going out and agglomerating.

Goddamn Florida, you deserve all the stupid jokes about you.
And nail salons are hygienic disasters without coronavirus.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
To clarify my previous point - a real estimate of the spread you gain not by testing only people who are showing symptoms, but rather by testing people randomly, with or without symptoms. Once you build a large enough sample size, from there you can extrapolate and get a decent estimate of the actual scope of the spread.

Because the US still don't have enough available tests, they keep those tests only for people who are already showing symptoms. Whatever results you get out of such testing, considering the long incubation period, won't give you much of a useful estimate of the real scope of the spread.
Now imagine how much worse the situation really is, when you factor in that the current, barely-available tests take several days to give you a result. That means that, even if the current tests were widely available, we would still be constantly playing catch-up with the real spread of the virus.

Supposedly a new type of test has been developed - one that gives a result in hours, not days - but it's anybody's guess how long it would take to produce enough of these tests and actually apply them properly.

Last edited:

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
I meant US president. I see how my post was misleading. There are more examples in today’s world. Perhaps no better one than Iran’s supreme leader who said today “Iran has many enemies both from humans and genies, and they help each other too”. This was not a joke. He really believes what he says.

Last edited:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Name a worse president to lead the country in these times.
:sergio:

Still cringing over his attack on that reporter the other day who tried to give him a softball question on what he would say to those who are at home scared and looking for reassurance. It’s literally the most feel-good, softball question a leader can be asked during a crisis, and instead of reassuring and comforting the nation he leads, Trump called it a nasty question and went on a tirade personally attacking the reporter and the press.

I hope Tuzzers who voted for this fuckwit look long and hard in the mirror before casting a ballot this November.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 146)