Confederations Cup (5 Viewers)

Sep 14, 2003
So are we giving excuses from now??

Take it from someone who's seen all of Italy's post WC2006 games. We're certainly not as good, but as Andy says, we're still a good team capable of beating anyone.

As for the excuse thing, well I remember a tournament in France the summer before WC98, the Serie A season had just finished. We put in 2 somewhat jaded performaces against England and Brasil. Same thing could happen.

OP
The Curr

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
  • Thread Starter #46
    Lippi confirms Confed squad
    Thursday 4 June, 2009
    Marcello Lippi has announced the squad which will be travelling to South Africa for the Conderations Cup.

The Azzurri boss made a few unexpected calls. Inter youngster Davide Santon and Fiorentina's Riccardo Montolivo got the nod but he has decided to leave out Giampaolo Pazzini and Gaetano D’Agostino.

Confederations Cup squad:

Goalkeepers: Marco Amelia (Palermo), Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Morgan De Sanctis (Galatasaray)

Defenders: Fabio Cannavaro (Juventus), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Nicola Legrottaglie (Juventus), Andrea Dossena (Liverpool), Alessandro Gamberini (Fiorentina), Fabio Grosso (Lyon), Davide Santon (Inter), Gianluca Zambrotta (Milan)

Midfielders: Mauro Camoranesi (Juventus), Daniele De Rossi (Roma), Gennaro Gattuso (Milan), Andrea Pirlo (Milan), Riccardo Montolivo (Fiorentina), Angelo Palombo (Sampdoria)

Strikers: Alberto Gilardino (Fiorentina), Vincenzo Iaquinta (Juventus), Simone Pepe (Udinese), Fabio Quagliarella (Napoli), Giuseppe Rossi (Villarreal), Luca Toni (Bayern Munich)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    This is the preliminary USA squad that has been announced. The terrorist manager Bob Bradley will change the squad as he sees fit after our second qualifier this week on Saturday vs. Honduras .

Goalkeepers: Howard, Guzan.

Defenders: Hejduk, Onyewu, Bocanegra, Pearce, Wynne, Califf, DeMerit, Spector, Bornstein.

Midfielders: Adu, Dempsey, Beasley, Bradley, Mastroeni, Torres, Edu, Kljestan, Feilhaber.

Forwards: Ching, Altidore, Davies, Donovan.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    What is up with Lippi and Pepe, do you guys think he is just average too? Then why is he even called up:confused:

neurosis21

Jun 22, 2004
    Cuz he's fast,skillfull and can cover all the positions on offensive end. That guy is actually highly rated in Italy and had a few memorable goals and assists. He was what Di Natale used to be....
    he is not up to the level of di natale and i doubt he will ever reach that
    he can only play on the right wing or right side of offence
    certainly cant play as a striker and not too certain of how effective he is on the left

Mar 14, 2004
    he is not up to the level of di natale and i doubt he will ever reach that
    he can only play on the right wing or right side of offence
    certainly cant play as a striker and not too certain of how effective he is on the left

Well,as I watched several games of Udinese and saw 2 in person this season,whole of their triangle offense mixed their places all the time. All you saw is a starting lineup that says Pepe plays on right. SKY Supercalcio and 200km to Udine are wonderful thing to posses.

Juventine

Little Witch
    Jul 11, 2008
    From the few Azzurri matches I've watched, Lippi used Pirlo as the only creative source of the team. Pepe has good stamina and is defensively strong for a winger (even though his creativity is poor as an attacking midfielder). I think that's the reason why Lippi prefers him. Pepe's function is similar to that of Perrotta (in a different formation though).
    Before Lippi played a more balanced (defensively and offensively) football with more creativity. Now he is very defensive and hasn't even given Rossi much playing time. He's much similar to Ranier now. :(

Marceℓℓo

Mar 16, 2007
    What the hell is wrong with Lippi?

Gattuso didn't deserve to be called up at all.Instead of him D'Agostino deserved it as he was arguably the best midfielder in Serie A this season.

The washed up Toni didn't deserve to be called up either,instead Di Vaio deserved it as he was banging in goals for fun for a very average Bologna side.If not him there's always Pazzini or Miccoli.Fuck it,even the spoiled brat Balotelli would have been better.

Pepe is a joke of a footballer.I wouldn't be surprised if his last name is Lippi in reality.Instead of him Foggia.

Marchetti instead of De Sanctis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)