Books you're reading (14 Viewers)

Jun-Lei

Sep 15, 2002
Fiction is fun, but not more fun hehe. No, religion has been a deep interest of mine since always. Basically a question of why is everyone so nuts about something that doesn't convince me. It's a fascinating phenomenon.

*drumroll*

(not even sure what emote is)
LOL, :) is an emote, or emoticon. What the forum calls "smilies". They're all emotes.

Religion... well, yeah it doesn't convince me either. A lot of it has become rituals, practices that people just do because everyone else does it. I think it's hard to find someone who honestly believes in the faith and doesn't over-indulge in all the other little extras. Religion isn't for me and I won't even bother to read up about it.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
LOL, :) is an emote, or emoticon. What the forum calls "smilies". They're all emotes.
> Gatsby is one of those people that deserve to be slapped over and over again - y'know, like some of the emotes you see around on MSN.

Slapping smilies? Why? And how, with a newspaper to the monitor? :confused:

Religion... well, yeah it doesn't convince me either. A lot of it has become rituals, practices that people just do because everyone else does it. I think it's hard to find someone who honestly believes in the faith and doesn't over-indulge in all the other little extras. Religion isn't for me and I won't even bother to read up about it.
Do you know you have this way of seeming to alternate between blissful and annoyed? :D

Jun-Lei

Sep 15, 2002
> Gatsby is one of those people that deserve to be slapped over and over again - y'know, like some of the emotes you see around on MSN.

Slapping smilies? Why? And how, with a newspaper to the monitor? :confused:
You need to use MSN more, Martin :D

Do you know you have this way of seeming to alternate between blissful and annoyed? :D
Ahahaha. I'll take it as a compliment. It's an innate skill!

Wow, I'm chalking up posts...

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
@martin you read "resurrection day" by glen meade? brilliant book about an al queda attack on American soil. thing is he was just editing the book when the September 11th attacks happened. brilliantly researched and executed it is a superb book that i am sure you will enjoy

rvi

l'amour toujours
Apr 5, 2007
Just completed By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept by Paulo Coelho, its a slow moving book but the plot and the pace of the book thickens about 3/4 into it, I enjoyed it. Coelho's use of language is very simple but strong.

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
I just finished HMS Surprise by Patrick O'Brien. It's from the same series of books as Master and Commander, and The Far Side of The World, which you may recognise as a film. Very enjoyable stuff.
those are wonderful books! some of the best historical fiction ever written

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
mediocre book from a mediocre writer, credited for one of the worst flight reads
I just don't understand the fuss about Coelho. I read the Alchemist, it was ok then I picked By the river Piedra, read only 10 or 15 pages and decided that this author is not worth it.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Just about to start on "The Prince" and no not Machiavelli's book, its a book about the controversial Saudi ambassador in the US, Prince Bandar Bin Sultan.

Joaco

the cronopio
Dec 11, 2005
I just don't understand the fuss about Coelho. I read the Alchemist, it was ok then I picked By the river Piedra, read only 10 or 15 pages and decided that this author is not worth it.
You read Coelho once, and you read all Coelho books. Even those he haven't written yet.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
I liked the Alchemist actually, but I haven't read any of his other stuff.

Kaka1899

Jan 24, 2007
A Season with Verona by John Parks, he travels around italy with the ultras of Verona seeing what the ultras stand for etc good read so far :tup: would highly recomend it

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
A Season with Verona by John Parks, he travels around italy with the ultras of Verona seeing what the ultras stand for etc good read so far :tup: would highly recomend it
Excellent book that.

Just finished John Foot's 'Calcio: A History of Italian Football' which is also good.

Only downside is that he is an Inter fan and it is somewhat biased in places.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
"I need not tell you what it is to be knocking about in
an open boat. I remember nights and days of calm when
we pulled, we pulled, and the boat seemed to stand still,
as if bewitched within the circle of the sea horizon. I
remember the heat, the deluge of rain-squalls that kept
us baling for dear life (but filled our water-cask), and I
remember sixteen hours on end with a mouth dry as a
cinder and a steering-oar over the stern to keep my first
command head on to a breaking sea. I did not know how
good a man I was till then. I remember the drawn faces,
the dejected figures of my two men, and I remember my
youth and the feeling that will never come back any
more--the feeling that I could last for ever, outlast the
sea, the earth, and all men; the deceitful feeling that
lures us on to joys, to perils, to love, to vain effort--to
death; the triumphant conviction of strength, the heat
of life in the handful of dust, the glow in the heart that
with every year grows dim, grows cold, grows small, and
expires--and expires, too soon--before life itself."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)