Antonio Conte (69 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Agree with Serge here. After a humiliating exit in CL group stage and counting the fact that the final was to be played on our stadium, EL needed to be won back then, no excuses.
It wasnt as humiliating as getting our ass handed against Fulham in europe. We were a sorry ass team post calciopoli, we gradually improved and are keep improving. I think experience plays a big part, we needed that CL to get where we are. At the end, it all panned out well, i got no complaints.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Yeah but if you say the league was wrapped up back then, it is wrapped up now as well.

8 points lead each time, one with 3, one with 4 matches to go. Plus there's the question of how much of that Benfica performance really was due to them playing the match against Sassuolo.

But yeah, it was a mistake imo as well. But it's not nearly enough to tarnish the legacy of a man who brought us back to the top of Italy and close to the top of Europe. That's being extremely petty.
One CL QF destruction by Bayern, and a CL group stage exit + a Europa Semifinal loss to a mediocre Benfica side = close to the top of Europe? :shifty:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Trophies are trophies, and I don't remember anyone ever being upset about Juve winning one.

Especially in the ultra rare moment of having it in your home stadium. And for all the good that breaking that record did, it also broke Vidal for the better part of the following season, as he struggled to recover from his knee injury the prior season in that push for the Serie A record.

- - - Updated - - -

And they were already on 90 points leading up to the Sassuolo match a few days before the 2nd leg. The league was already wrapped up by that point.
:agree:

We also have a very good record in Europa League/UEFA Cup finals. We were a shoo-in to win that tournament. Water under the bridge now, but it was a pathetic and embarrassing loss.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Thanks to the we-are-minnows-in-europe mentality installed by Conte :agree:
See i see nothing wrong with that, we should be use to it if we look to the past several coaches came out with minnow mentality statements. Europe was hardly our strong point to suggest otherwise. Of course times have changed and now the expectations are higher and rightly so. We havent looked this good for well over a decade or beyond.

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
It wasnt as humiliating as getting our ass handed against Fulham in europe. We were a sorry ass team post calciopoli, we gradually improved and are keep improving. I think experience plays a big part, we needed that CL to get where we are. At the end, it all panned out well, i got no complaints.
We were in poor condition in 2010 against Fulham but in 2014 against Benfica we were going after third straight scudetto having star players in our roster. We were craving for any recognition in Europe. Failing to win that EL was a massive failure without a shadow of doubt.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
We were in poor condition in 2010 against Fulham but in 2014 against Benfica we were going after third straight scudetto having star players in our roster. We were craving for any recognition in Europe. Failing to win that EL was a massive failure without a shadow of doubt.
Failiure, yes. Humiliating, no.

We were actually all over them in that game and we were favourites but it's not like we took on anderlecht. Benfica only a season earlier made it to the final, so no walk in the park and we lost by 1 goal.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Anybody saying that the EL doesn't count for much doesn't get to boast that we were the first club to win every UEFA competition.

Winning everything is the important thing to this club. That goes for every competition and every game. Conte knows this better than any of us but perhaps even too well and didn't want to use tact and prioritise certain games. Fucking shame to miss playing that final at home, though.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Uefa cup > europa. It used to be such an enjoyable competition with the other shit teams ending up in cup winners cup.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Yeah but if you say the league was wrapped up back then, it is wrapped up now as well.

8 points lead each time, one with 3, one with 4 matches to go. Plus there's the question of how much of that Benfica performance really was due to them playing the match against Sassuolo.

But yeah, it was a mistake imo as well. But it's not nearly enough to tarnish the legacy of a man who brought us back to the top of Italy and close to the top of Europe. That's being extremely petty.
When did that happen? :D

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
2013 last 8 and year after the last 4 in EL, failure in EL but a QF finish wasn't that bad. It was Work in progress and solid experience from our boys. As the last time we reached QF was in 2006 and at that time it was becoming a normality, following 3 years 2000-2002 of European mediocrity.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
2013 last 8 and year after the last 4 in EL, failure in EL but a QF finish wasn't that bad. It was Work in progress and solid experience from our boys. As the last time we reached QF was in 2006 and at that time it was becoming a normality, following 3 years 2000-2002 of European mediocrity.

I'd call that progress, but not close to the top. Close to the top entails consistent appearances in the CL semis ;)

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
One CL QF destruction by Bayern, and a CL group stage exit + a Europa Semifinal loss to a mediocre Benfica side = close to the top of Europe? :shifty:
Not in terms of results, but in terms of what the team is capable of (I know he didn't do it alone, but he was a very important part of it).

If you don't agree that our team back then was a top 10 team in Europe, I'd really like to see you credibly prove that you were of that opinion back then as well, because I sure as shit don't remember any poster disagreeing with that notion in 2013.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Not in terms of results, but in terms of what the team is capable of (I know he didn't do it alone, but he was a very important part of it).

If you don't agree that our team back then was a top 10 team in Europe, I'd really like to see you credibly prove that you were of that opinion back then as well, because I sure as shit don't remember any poster disagreeing with that notion in 2013.
We had the squad to be a top 4-8 team in Europe Conte's last year. We should have been CL QFs-SFs draw-dependent. And easily should have won Europa. I love Conte but he held that team back imo with stubbornness and a lot of nonsense about being unable to compete in europe.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
his subs werent great and came late, he only changed to 433 in the last 15 minutes, and only because he didnt have neither any time nor any other choice. Gio-Bonucci (decent sub, but should have happened much earlier considering they were with 10 men. could have left Bonucci on though and take off Barzagli, since Leo is more useful on corners), Osvaldo for Llorente (that was an OK sub, Nando wasnt good that game), and the last one Marchisio for Vidal (no idea what he tried to do with this one, but since he had Vucinic on the bench and we were chasing a goal, should have definitely put him on instead).

and seriously, who cares about a record when you can win another trophy, an international one at that? i thought it was good we threw away the game vs Roma in the Coppa, so we can focus on the scudetto and EL, but come semifinal we dont rest any starters before these important games despite having good enough lead on the table. ill never forgive him not beating or even being able to score once vs 10man Benfica at home.
Trophies are trophies, and I don't remember anyone ever being upset about Juve winning one.

Especially in the ultra rare moment of having it in your home stadium. And for all the good that breaking that record did, it also broke Vidal for the better part of the following season, as he struggled to recover from his knee injury the prior season in that push for the Serie A record.

- - - Updated - - -

And they were already on 90 points leading up to the Sassuolo match a few days before the 2nd leg. The league was already wrapped up by that point.
Both of you. Spot on

To me this is simple. COnte was fuking afraid of europe. He wanted to save face by achieveing that meaningless record and try to deviate the attention to that. To no avail obviouslyl. That record was a stupid overkill. In a non european run it would have been ok... but is simply idiotic to waste ur players for that, when you had a way more important task going on in europe.

Call europa league all what u want, but the final was in our stadium and the fans DESERVED that victtory after our embarrasment in the CL. Anyone who tries to belittle the chance of a european throphy in our stadium is wrong.

Well I agree somewhat, but I don't place nearly as much importance on EL as you do.

But points wise, the league is as much secured right now as it was in that season.
Yet conte opted to overkill the title with a menaingless record no one cares today. It only served to •fill his ego.

We had the squad to be a top 4-8 team in Europe Conte's last year. We should have been CL QFs-SFs draw-dependent. And easily should have won Europa. I love Conte but he held that team back imo with stubbornness and a lot of nonsense about being unable to compete in europe.
Not to mention his inferiority complex which was one of the main reasons we entered the field in europe looking like ghosts.

To me, all this is clear as water. Some here try to depict conte as some kind of badass dude... but his european runs showed hick lack of experience , horridbly.

All that said, i really liked conte in his first season. Full of evrything. But in the following 2 seasons in europe, he let me xown hardcore, and used serie A as a make up of his shortcomings.

Bad, very bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 62)

• Ali