Antonio Conte (54 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

AOD4

Nov 24, 2004
Conte he deserves credit for this Italian run in Euro. Without injuries, who knows we might have done better. I have to admit he has proved me wrong. Thank you Conte.

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
Thing that struck me the most is how Conte build up a transition to attack. He knew that Italian midfield yesterday was made of at most decent distributors, so he tried to make this transition super fast, but not with long balls but with vertical one-two touches passing and set of players manoeuvres, when everyone knows where to ran. It maybe didn't work as well as could, because technical limitations of midfielders was too much of obstacle, but hell it was beauty times it worked.
We didn't see that in Juve that often, partly I think because we were to dependent on Pirlo.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
He still has some way to go.

Italys mid and attack was still too shitty to be able to win. They were hitting way above their league. De rossi was sorely missed.

Sya what u want, but his late subs were key imo. He could have done more.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Conte is gonna build a helluva team in Chelsea if given right players. We will beat them in CL 2017/2018 finals though.
Not necessarily. Conte's proven skill is to set up a squad that is short on talent in an ultra disciplined tactical system, and imbue the squad with an incredible fighting spirit. I would trust him to turn a 2011 Juve or a current Azzuri or an Inter or Milan squad level into proper teams that fight till the end. I also doubt any other coach (apart from Simeone maybe) to be able to lift up an average squad to a very high level. Pep can't do it and Enrique can't do it either.

However, there is no guarantee that if you give Conte Pep's or Enrique's squad, he would do better than them just because he could do more with a poor squad than they can. Pep and Enrique's ideas only work when they have a very high class of players performing them. They have brilliant systems but these systems require exceptional players for it to work, otherwise we see something like Enrique's roma where the possession football was crap, the attack was crap and the defense was crap. Give them Barca or Bayern's squad though and they will get them performing much better than any Mourinho team of equal squad quality.

So far we know that Conte is a master at getting mediocre squads to prosper significantly but we have never seen him coaching world class squads. He won't necessarily do better than Pep would if the squad is world class even though Conte would definitely do better than Pep with mediocre squads. When Juve upgraded the attack with Tevez and Llorente and added signings like Asamoah, we improved but ever so slightly. We saw allegri take the same squad farther by loosening up some of that discipline and allowing Tevez some freedom. Conte's last season with us might have been just a blip and he may have taken Juve farther the season after, all I am saying is that we havent seen Conte with a worldclass squad yet to know whether his best ideas are better than Enrique's or not.

Pep and Enrique do exceptionally great with great squads and do terrible with mediocre ones. Conte does very good with mediocre squads but can he do exceptionally great with a great squad? or would his disciplined system restrict the truly world class players? Afterall there would be very little weaknesses that need to be covered by heavy disciplining and there would be a lot of creativity that is lost by over-disciplining world class talents. Is his system heavily disciplined because he always had many holes in his squads, or is his system that disciplined even if he was coaching Madrid or barca?

My prediction is that he will discipline Chelsea and improve them significantly perhaps enough to even win the EPL and gradually assemble an absolutely world class squad over the next couple of years. At that point though, his heavy discipline system will restrict the qualities of the truly world class players that Chelsea will buy in future seasons.

Also Pep will struggle because City's players are not good enough to learn his complex system quickly. They should give him a Bayern like squad if they want City to be a powerhorse.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
he did ge screwed. not having de rossi and candreva.

marchisio and verratti injuries.

but let's be real, calling up sturaro ahead of pirlo and no giovinco but zaza? whhhuuuuutttt

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Azzurri attack looks like shit, if only icardi didnt play for albiceleste
I think it was the system, even if Conte had Icardi, he would still apply the tactics that Conte wants and it was obvious with Pelle.

I think Pelle was great apart from the Penalty of course, but the way he controlled the balled, gave his team mates space to breathe and his one touch pass + scoring twice, I think he did well and I really didn't expect him to be this good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 48)