Antonio Conte (142 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I know exactly what he means.

But where do you play this world class starter. Who gets benched?

Let's keep in mind here that the two players form the starting XI who did NOT make the WC this year happen to be the strikers on this club, and they combined for 40 goals between the two of them this year, in their first year at the club. And it could be argued that they both should have been there.

This team all of a sudden did not become a bunch of mid table quality scrubs because the coach left.
The person who is not as good as the new guy?

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Pogba doesn't count as "buying a starter". And neither does Asamoah for that matter. Sure both turned out to be wonderful, but neither was intended to have huge impact on the team.

I would buy a player than can play behind the strikers. In Allegri's system, that seems to be a very important position. Plus it would give Juve another dimension in attack and tactical flexibility in both the 3-5-2 and 4-3-1-2. Seems better than the "we can't affort 50 wingers argument".
But doens't that give sound testimony to the overall quality of finding talent at a reasonable price rather than just squabbling our transfer funds on 1 player?

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't matter who you bench. Neither of Tevez or Llorente are untouchable. We could even sell one of them.

We could bench Bonucci and move to a four men backline which gives us another open spots.

The players we have bar Pogba and Vidal are all easily replaceable
So then what "untouchable" players should the club have gotten? Of course, considering all things such as transfer fee, wages, and opposition club willing to sell.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
The person who is not as good as the new guy?
At what position?

What part of the starting XI needs that much of an upgrade that you would have to spend millions on, that would be substantially better than what they currently have now?

Again, the only position I can see that is in the defense, where thy need to get younger anyway, and get rid of Bonnucci in the process.

But again, this brings up the point I made earlier that people on this fourm would go ballistic if they spent a huge amount on that backline.

- - - Updated - - -

also a big :lol: @ the cheerleaders
I was going to say this to you via PM, but you've become quite a contentious prick ever since you've become a Mod.

I said it.

Ban me, do whatever you want, but you have become nothing but absolutely condescending ever since.

I really don't fucking care.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
But doens't that give sound testimony to the overall quality of finding talent at a reasonable price rather than just squabbling our transfer funds on 1 player?
"The overal quality of finding talent at a reasonable price", sounds pretty but means nothing. Porto and Benfica are great at finding cheap talent. Do you want Juve to be Port and Benfica?

It doesn't matter that Pogba turned out to be a great player. At the time 30 people in the world knew who he was. He was a no-risk transfer.

What people are saying is that the board should target players that are talented and will improve the team. It's what ambitious clubs do, it's what big clubs do. No one is saying spend 50 million euros on a player. But simply look for players that are better than those available at the club. And if one comes available buy him.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
"The overal quality of finding talen at a reasonable price", sounds pretty but means nothing. Porto and Benfica are great at finding cheap talent. Do you want Juve to be Port and Benfica?

It doesn't matter that Pogba turned out to be a great player. At the time 30 people in the world knew who he was. He was a no-risk transfer.

What people are saying is that the board should target players that are talented and will improve the team. It's what ambitious clubs do, it's what big clubs do. No one is saying spend 50 million euros on a player. But simply look for players that are better than those available at the club. And if one comes available buy him.
I understand. But it's hard to find players better than Buffon, Chiellini, Pirlo, Vidal, Pogba, Licht, Tevez, or Llorente without spending 40-50m dollars, isn't it?

- - - Updated - - -

Idk, I'm not the GM :D
Exactly. No one here is and no one can name one player we "could" have bought because no one here was at the negotiating table.

- - - Updated - - -

At what position?

What part of the starting XI needs that much of an upgrade that you would have to spend millions on, that would be substantially better than what they currently have now?

Again, the only position I can see that is in the defense, where thy need to get younger anyway, and get rid of Bonnucci in the process.

But again, this brings up the point I made earlier that people on this fourm would go ballistic if they spent a huge amount on that backline.

- - - Updated - - -

I was going to say this to you via PM, but you've become quite a contentious prick ever since you've become a Mod.

I said it.

Ban me, do whatever you want, but you have become nothing but absolutely condescending ever since.

+rep

- - - Updated - - -

I can't rep you, Serg but the thought is there. :D

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
Pogba doesn't count as "buying a starter". And neither does Asamoah for that matter. Sure both turned out to be wonderful, but neither was intended to have huge impact on the team.
But does it really matters?

What if you buy a player intended to start and he fails?

Is Amauri more of a "starter" than Pogba?

Because I see no one praising Secco for his good intentions.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
At what position?

Obviously the back line is not a huge area in need of upgrade. The midfield or strikers is where I would look for improvement. Tevez is old, Pirlo is old, Llorente's form comes and goes. Buy someone who puts Pirlo on the bench, when he's tired, he's a liability. Buy someone that forces the manager to rotate Llorente and Tevez. Or purchase a player that Juve doesn't current have like an attacking midfielder.

Not to say any camp is right or wrong, but I can certainly see where each is coming from. It's great to hit home runs like Pogba. But how many teenage free transfers go on to start for the NT in a World Cup a few years later?

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
It doesn't matter who you bench. Neither of Tevez or Llorente are untouchable. We could even sell one of them.

We could bench Bonucci and move to a four men backline which gives us another open spots.

The players we have bar Pogba and Vidal are all easily replaceable
Sell Llorente or Tevez?

Seriously? Replacable by what players? Falcao, Aguero?

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
but the understanding here amongst everyone is that our team is by far the best in serie A and that scudetto will be a walk in the park so how we damage our chances of making cl if we pass on morata and pereyra and get a 35-40 mil player? risk will have to be taken and the longer we wait the more risk we actually have to take to close the gap.
See, I think the mistake you make is not properly evaluating the players. For me, Morata is not just a bench player or someone you can do without.

He's one of the best strikers in the world at 22 years old or younger. To me, it's certainly possible he can be better than Sanchez. He has the potential to be a 40M player, after all, Madrid has agreed a 35M buy back (and let's not debate the buy back. It's confirmed that the player must agree as well and it's possible Madrid would not bother if they move for someone bigger which they likely will).

Morata for 20M is a very worthy signing to me. I would not pass on him in most circumstances. If he becomes good and we avoid the buy back then it's like hitting the lottery. We'd have him for something like 10 years and for only 20M and modest wages for at least a little while. Morata is not like Pereyra or Romulo. He's in a much different category.

If I could buy two Moratas instead of one Sanchez then I would do that in all honesty. It's buying at half the value of the player when buying Sanchez is paying absolute full price in every sense.

Pereyra is a questionable signing for me and I've said that before. But the structure of his transfer fee is what entices our management as always. Paying it off in 5 years is a joke.

Personally I could be convinced to give up Pereyra and Sturaro for a 25M player. That would make sense to me. Someone like De Bruyne instead would have been great.

Besides that, Evra is a necessity because of AFCON. Romulo for 1M + 7M payable whenever is another no-brainer for me. Coman is free so obviously that's a no-brainer.

If you don't include Morata, and want to give up Pereyra, Sturaro, Evra's wages and Romulo to get Sanchez (and even that would still not be enough), that is a risk for me, we'd have no left back and only 1 CM sub being Marchisio.

If you want to give up Morata then there's certainly risk that you passed on a potential 22-25 year old WC striker for only 20M.

I know you want to replace all our aging starters, but you can't replace each one with someone rated 40M Euros. You have to replace Llorente with 20M Morata, and Berardi can replace Tevez for 10-15M, Coman can maybe start in a couple years for 0M. Maybe Sturaro can play DM between Vidal and Pogba for 8M or whatever it was.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Sell Llorente or Tevez?

Seriously? Replacable by what players? Falcao, Aguero?
Llorente did remarkably well after sitting for nearly a season before coming here. Tevez has given us exactly what we bought him for. To replace either one of those with a guaranteed starter is going to cost more than we have for a budget. THEN we would need to find a way to meet their wage demands.

I still haven't seen any names pop up anywhere by these folks that we genuinely could have signed.

- - - Updated - - -

See, I think the mistake you make is not properly evaluating the players. For me, Morata is not just a bench player or someone you can do without.

He's one of the best strikers in the world at 22 years old or younger. To me, it's certainly possible he can be better than Sanchez. He has the potential to be a 40M player, after all, Madrid has agreed a 35M buy back (and let's not debate the buy back. It's confirmed that the player must agree as well and it's possible Madrid would not bother if they move for someone bigger which they likely will).

Morata for 20M is a very worthy signing to me. I would not pass on him in most circumstances. If he becomes good and we avoid the buy back then it's like hitting the lottery. We'd have him for something like 10 years and for only 20M and modest wages for at least a little while. Morata is not like Pereyra or Romulo. He's in a much different category.

If I could buy two Moratas instead of one Sanchez then I would do that in all honesty. It's buying at half the value of the player when buying Sanchez is paying absolute full price in every sense.

Pereyra is a questionable signing for me and I've said that before. But the structure of his transfer fee is what entices our management as always. Paying it off in 5 years is a joke.

Personally I could be convinced to give up Pereyra and Sturaro for a 25M player. That would make sense to me. Someone like De Bruyne instead would have been great.

Besides that, Evra is a necessity because of AFCON. Romulo for 1M + 7M payable whenever is another no-brainer for me. Coman is free so obviously that's a no-brainer.

If you don't include Morata, and want to give up Pereyra, Sturaro, Evra's wages and Romulo to get Sanchez (and even that would still not be enough), that is a risk for me, we'd have no left back and only 1 CM sub being Marchisio.

If you want to give up Morata then there's certainly risk that you passed on a potential 22-25 year old WC striker for only 20M.
Damn fine post. :tup:

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

I said it.

what you should care about is the fact that most of us here treat you differently, show you more respect, but dont push it

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

I know you want to replace all our aging starters, but you can't replace each one with someone rated 40M Euros. You have to replace Llorente with 20M Morata, and Berardi can replace Tevez for 10-15M, Coman can maybe start in a couple years for 0M. Maybe Sturaro can play DM between Vidal and Pogba for 8M or whatever it was.

well thats rich :D
anyways i actually like morata, but i wouldnt drop 20 mil on him especially where we currently stand financially AND with that buy back clause. But thats not the point, your assessment of these players is ridiculously skewed on the optimistic side, i choose to see their progress as more of a pleasant surprise rather than mortgage the club's future on them.
Romulo is fine imo, the contentious point here is the morata+pereyra that stands at about 35 mil and ~3.5-4 mil a year salary.
what i ideally want is to capitalize on what we currently have especially with players like vidal and soon pogba hitting their prime, they are not going to want to be part of a 'project' and id rather not lose them because we dont think we will get adequate replacements.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 142)