Antonio Conte (220 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
"Conte wanted to leave in May but the board convinced him to stay, and said that after holidays he would have again the energy to continue. He said "ok" but after he came back from holidays he simply didn't have the energy to continue." - Nedved
Where's that quote from?

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Amazing how people can be mad at Conte for leaving all of a sudden without them knowing what drove him to it. Wait till we start knowing more about what happened behind closed doors.
See that's the thing. I don't know why he left and I don't care either but nothing (except for a personal/family issue) justifies leaving the club like this and at this point of time.

Yes, if he thought that staying at Juve would destroy his reputation as a top coach even further than what happened last year then he should stay because loyalty is more important than his own career. If the board decided to sell all his key players and hire midgets in their stead then he should still stay because he is a juventus slave and should only obey his masters.

This is the same stupid anger that was directed at Cannavaro for leaving us in 2006. What a traitor... how dare he not want to play in Serie B during the peak of his career.
His reputation as a top coach? Who says he's a top coach? He's been at top level (with a very bad record at Europe) only for a few years. That doesn't make him a top coach yet.

Actually I think fans' outrage towards Cannavaro was far less warranted. Cannavaro was indeed a top player who had a couple years left in his career and he was never as tied to Juve as Conte was. Cannavaro was a top player way before he was signed for us anyway. Whether it was the board's incompetency to meet Conte's demands or it was an offer from the national team, Conte screwed the team which had given him everything to become what he is today.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Selling his best players and replacing them with midget? As far as we're concerned, nobody here is sold/being sold. Or you're gonna believe the bullshits from the Daily Mail that claim the "imminent" Vidal transfer to Utd and Chelsea getting Pogba without any opposition? :lol: Even the day after the resignation, Marotta repeated that these players are not for sale at all and also that there is no current dealing with those clubs (and we rejected a Man Utd approach 3 weeks ago), although the resignation of Conte could affect it. You act like if the sale (???) of these players forced Conte to leave, while it could actually be the other way around, how ironic. :lol:

The reason some people are angry to him is just the timing of this (still ridiculous, cause there are not better choices to win than Juve actually, a club where everybody always appreciated/loved him) decision.

It's not like in May the club claimed to be in the money and that we could spend the $#@! we wanted.

He took the lust to decide, with his arrogance and ego, to leave in a period where, he knew, left everybody in trouble, from the club to the fans, that, to add a detail, always appreciated and complimented him. With the season beginning, and I repeat, it's an uni$#@! in history.

If someone pretends that it's obligatory to close our eyes and hail the arrogant Conte more than Juve, well, it's a funny pretention, for who supports Juve. Everybody can make his own choices, I'm not gonna jump at those who still love Conte, not everybody can put aside 3 years in a moment, but those who are criticizing him, can't be blamed at all.
You completely missed my point. I was being sarcastic and merely making an absurd example for the loyalty talk being spewed around.

No one knows what happened behind closed doors yet. The board breaking their promises is one possible scenario amongst many and if they did do that there is no wrong in what Conte did. IF Conte believed that the team wont deliver in europe without signing a specific caliber of players and IF Marotta promised him those names and then failed to make it happen then Conte should not be attacked for quitting now. Under that scenario he has to choose between Juve's stability and his own reputation as a coach and quitting is thus the rational choice.

Again, this is only a possible scenario.. I am not claiming that this is what really happened.
The guys hating him for leaving like that dont know why he left either and they act as if Conte should always favor Juve's best interests even if it means that his reputation/own best interest will suffer. That is just insane and naiive. They are the same people who blamed cannavaro for leaving us when we got demoted. Alex, Nedved, Camo, Buffon and Trezguet did Juve a HUUUUGE FAVOR in staying with the team and thats why we will always thank them but there is nothing wrong with leaving and saving yourself... fans that DEMAND that kind of behaviour from Conte or Cannavaro are idiots.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
You completely missed my point. I was being sarcastic and merely making an absurd example for the loyalty talk being spewed around.

No one knows what happened behind closed doors yet. The board breaking their promises is one possible scenario amongst many and if they did do that there is no wrong in what Conte did. IF Conte believed that the team wont deliver in europe without signing a specific caliber of players and IF Marotta promised him those names and then failed to make it happen then Conte should not be attacked for quitting now. Under that scenario he has to choose between Juve's stability and his own reputation as a coach and quitting is thus the rational choice.

Again, this is only a possible scenario.. I am not claiming that this is what really happened.
The guys hating him for leaving like that dont know why he left either and they act as if Conte should always favor Juve's best interests even if it means that his reputation/own best interest will suffer. That is just insane and naiive. They are the same people who blamed cannavaro for leaving us when we got demoted. Alex, Nedved, Camo, Buffon and Trezguet did Juve a HUUUUGE FAVOR in staying with the team and thats why we will always thank them but there is nothing wrong with leaving and saving yourself... fans that DEMAND that kind of behaviour from Conte or Cannavaro are idiots.

Timing is everything though, and the timing was just awful.

I've left jobs several times in my career, but never just walked into my employer's office and just quit on them.

AlexOB

Apr 2, 2014

Every player/coach can make his choices, but there is a timing and other factors for those, as I pointed out in the post you quoted. Just that. I never blamed any of the players that left in 2006 if you want to know, except those who talked shit about us after that (so, just Zambrotta and Thuram).

About the reason for Conte leaving, in the meantime you were writing Nedved has released an interview that confirmed my impressions. Check it out, perhaps. ;)

David01

Aug 20, 2006
the thing is; Conte walked out on Juve but nobody makes a beep when clubs dump their coaches after two games in charge, somehow that is considered the normal way

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
See that's the thing. I don't know why he left and I don't care either but nothing (except for a personal/family issue) justifies leaving the club like this and at this point of time.

His reputation as a top coach? Who says he's a top coach? He's been at top level (with a very bad record at Europe) only for a few years. That doesn't make him a top coach yet.

Actually I think fans' outrage towards Cannavaro was far less warranted. Cannavaro was indeed a top player who had a couple years left in his career and he was never as tied to Juve as Conte was. Cannavaro was a top player way before he was signed for us anyway. Whether it was the board's incompetency to meet Conte's demands or it was an offer from the national team, Conte screwed the team which had given him everything to become what he is today.
Why do you say that Conte isnt a top coach? because of his group stage exit in Europe. What did Conte want to do about it? Sign some world class players and keep the current ones. What would happen if Conte doesnt get these players? Another Group stage exit in Europe which further damages his reputation as a coach even in your eyes. The timing of the exit can be explained by the timing of Marotta's failure.

Now you demand that, even if this scenario is what really happened behind closed doors, Conte should stay on as our coach and suffer more reputation damage. You demand that he damages his own career for Marotta's failures. Thats way too much to ask of anyone for anybody. If he had done that then he had given Juve a huge favor.. but Juve and its fans are certainly not entitled to that kind of irrational action you demand from Conte.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Marotta's failures, oh boy, delusion of some. :lol:

Do you know how much Juve's reputation suffered when they decided to stick with the coach, who was involved in a match fixing scandal? Who could blame our mgt if they decided to part ways back then.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
the thing is; Conte walked out on Juve but nobody makes a beep when clubs dump their coaches after two games in charge, somehow that is considered the normal way
Yeah following King Ale's logic, Juve should have never let any of Ferrara go for sporting/success reasons. Juve should stick by him even if Ferrara takes Juve to Serie Z.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Timing is everything though, and the timing was just awful.

I've left jobs several times in my career, but never just walked into my employer's office and just quit on them.
You would give a month or two of notice right? Lol if Conte did that, we'd be more screwed. The only way we wouldn't have been left in a mess is if he waited til the end of the season, which isn't reasonable in the scenario Hist presented

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Ever heard of the term a hypothetical scenario? or a possible scenario?
So he quit because of possible scenario (btw nothing would suggest that happening), but yeah I am convinced now. Made the right choice for leaving us in the mid of July.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 211)