Antonio Conte (224 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Timing is everything though, and the timing was just awful.

I've left jobs several times in my career, but never just walked into my employer's office and just quit on them.
What would make you walk into the office and just quit on them?

- - - Updated - - -

So he quit because of possible scenario (btw nothing would suggest that happening), but yeah I am convinced now. Made the right choice for leaving us in the mid of July.
We could debate whether something would suggest that happening but thats irrelevant. I never said he made the right decision. I always maintained that we dont know why he left us all of a sudden yet.. we dont even know if it is sudden at all (to the board) .. All I said is that he might have made the right choice and to preserve your judgment and anger for later when things become clearer maybe... maybe he has good reasons.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
so what could he have done?

- - - Updated - - -

:tup:
If what Nedved is saying is true, that he wanted to leave in May, to be honest, they should have just let him walk away.

But what should he have done? Considering that he is under contract? What do you think he should have done? I don't know, see the contract out maybe?

And if during that time that he was on holiday, he knew in his heart that he didn't want to come back, then he could have told them earlier, before the preseason started. Did he just walk into training on Monday and say "Nah, I don't think so?".

And everyone here is making it seem as if he were working in the worst possible environment. Come on. He's the coach of the most successful team in Italy coming off of three straight Serie A titles and 3 Straight automatic CL qualifications.

And does the transfer season end tomorrow? Not as far as I know.

Ok they didn't get Sanchez. They were never going to. Arsenal paid 42.5 million and there was no way they were going to spend a significant portion of their budget one one player, and that one player not being a franchise player. They weren't going to allow Iturbe's agent to retain partial control of the player. Fine.

But it's July 18th, with 6 weeks still to go in the transfer campaign. 2 players that Conte knew full well were going to be here (Evra, Morata) at the time he made his comment about the transfer market 10 days ago are now on their way.

So then what is the reason for him leaving?

Was it for personal reasons, as intimated by both Nedved and Marotta? Then that's cool. I get that. But if what Nedved is saying is true, and Juve convinced him that he would have his energy to coach again after the holiday, and Conte gave his OK to it, then there had to have been some soul searching going on with Conte. And if that soul searching led him to not want to do this anymore with this club, he should have let them know earlier.

- - - Updated - - -

What would make you walk into the office and just quit on them?

- - - Updated - - -

We could debate whether something would suggest that happening but thats irrelevant. I never said he made the right decision. I always maintained that we dont know why he left us all of a sudden yet.. we dont even know if it is sudden at all (to the board) .. All I said is that he might have made the right choice and to preserve your judgment and anger for later when things become clearer maybe... maybe he has good reasons.
If I wasn't being paid. If I was being verbally abused.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Every player/coach can make his choices, but there is a timing and other factors for those, as I pointed out in the post you quoted. Just that. I never blamed any of the players that left in 2006 if you want to know, except those who talked $#@! about us after that (so, just Zambrotta and Thuram).

About the reason for Conte leaving, in the meantime you were writing Nedved has released an interview that confirmed my impressions. Check it out, perhaps. ;)
If this is true then he did a guardiola on us and the board were aware he is going so the timing isnt as bad as initially thought. In this scenario, Conte tells the board early-on he doesnt want to continue.. they tell him to see how its like after the holidays.. he tells them he is too tired to properly perform and steps down. No reason for hate or anger either :p Its only a surprise to us.

- - - Updated - - -

Italy's appointment is a good reason.
It would be a good reason if he had left earlier. Otherwise he'd be just dumping Juve.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
If this is true then he did a guardiola on us and the board were aware he is going so the timing isnt as bad as initially thought. In this scenario, Conte tells the board early-on he doesnt want to continue.. they tell him to see how its like after the holidays.. he tells them he is too tired to properly perform and steps down. No reason for hate or anger either :p Its only a surprise to us.

- - - Updated - - -

It would be a good reason if he had left earlier. Otherwise he'd be just dumping Juve.
Then if what you are saying is true, then no one should be to blame. Not Conte, Not Marotta, Not Agnelli. And all of us should doing what we as fans are supposed to be doing, and that is looking ahead, not looking back.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
If what Nedved is saying is true, that he wanted to leave in May, to be honest, they should have just let him walk away.

But what should he have done? Considering that he is under contract? What do you think he should have done? I don't know, see the contract out maybe?

And if during that time that he was on holiday, he knew in his heart that he didn't want to come back, then he could have told them earlier, before the preseason started. Did he just walk into training on Monday and say "Nah, I don't think so?".

And everyone here is making it seem as if he were working in the worst possible environment. Come on. He's the coach of the most successful team in Italy coming off of three straight Serie A titles and 3 Straight automatic CL qualifications.

And does the transfer season end tomorrow? Not as far as I know.

Ok they didn't get Sanchez. They were never going to. Arsenal paid 42.5 million and there was no way they were going to spend a significant portion of their budget one one player, and that one player not being a franchise player. They weren't going to allow Iturbe's agent to retain partial control of the player. Fine.

But it's July 18th, with 6 weeks still to go in the transfer campaign. 2 players that Conte knew full well were going to be here (Evra, Morata) at the time he made his comment about the transfer market 10 days ago are now on their way.

So then what is the reason for him leaving?

Was it for personal reasons, as intimated by both Nedved and Marotta? Then that's cool. I get that. But if what Nedved is saying is true, and Juve convinced him that he would have his energy to coach again after the holiday, and Conte gave his OK to it, then there had to have been some soul searching going on with Conte. And if that soul searching led him to not want to do this anymore with this club, he should have let them know earlier.

- - - Updated - - -

If I wasn't being paid. If I was being verbally abused.

exactly which makes it more reasonable to think that 'something' happened after he came back. But regardless of all of that i have respect for the man for stepping down when his heart is not fully in it regardless of what led him there.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
exactly which makes it more reasonable to think that 'something' happened after he came back. But regardless of all of that i have respect for the man for stepping down when his heart is not fully in it regardless of what led him there.
And I understand that. I wouldn't a coach who wasn't fully invested in what he is doing.

But the timing is just fucking awful, and quite frankly I am sick of all the finger pointing and assumptions being thrown around when nobody really knows anything.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
I hope he doesn't take the Italy job. If he's actually tired then he should just take a break from football and coach another club when he's ready.

It'd be interesting to see what he can do with a different team. Forza Conte.

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
But the timing is just fucking awful, and quite frankly I am sick of all the finger pointing and assumptions being thrown around when nobody really knows anything.
how's the timing awful? it's mid-July, the pre-season has barely started, none of the internationals have returned, more than a month till season starts, the transfer window just a quarter way through and the whole transfer budget still intact (only sales so far).

for comparison, Mourinho left Chelsea mid September in 2007 by mutual consent.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
how's the timing awful? it's mid-July, the pre-season has barely started, none of the internationals have returned, more than a month till season starts, the transfer window still open and the whole transfer budget still intact.

The timing is awful because all the good coaches are already employed.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Maybe he just doesn't want to do it anymore.

Maybe he's tired of coaching in Italy, when he is coaching the most equally loved and hated club in the Peninsula.

Maybe he needs to recharge his batteries and coach somewhere else in Europe.

All these maybes, but I have two certainties. I love him deeply for what he has done as a player and coach, and I just hate what he has done

- - - Updated - - -

how's the timing awful? it's mid-July, the pre-season has barely started, none of the internationals have returned, more than a month till season starts, the transfer window still open and the whole transfer budget still intact.

The roster was already in place. All the transfer work was done therefore the pieces were there. This is a big difference. Now you have to bring in a new coach, with different ideas, which means that the entire roster needs to be reevaluated, and not only do you have to worry about trying to obtain players that you may not have previously planned on, you also have to work on selling players that the new coach suddenly deems as surplus to requirements.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
The roster was already in place. All the transfer work was done therefore the pieces were there. This is a big difference. Now you have to bring in a new coach, with different ideas, which means that the entire roster needs to be reevaluated, and not only do you have to worry about trying to obtain players that you may not have previously planned on, you also have to work on selling players that the new coach suddenly deems as surplus to requirements.
Not to mention that the number of coaches to choose from is (more) limited.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Then if what you are saying is true, then no one should be to blame. Not Conte, Not Marotta, Not Agnelli. And all of us should doing what we as fans are supposed to be doing, and that is looking ahead, not looking back.
But people here said so many disgusting things about both Conte and the mgmt that they won't admit they were wrong. They just keep hating.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Based on that Nedved quote, I'm just hoping that everything is alright with Conte and his family.

Really disappointed in his departure, I think he could have built something very special here. His work was great, but I still feel as though there were better things to come.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 214)