Android (6 Viewers)

Nedvěd

I got a X8 and today it told me that there's an update, should I update it directly from the phone, or is there anybetter way?
Btw is this update 2.3?

Apr 15, 2006
Nedvěd;2898413 said:
I got a X8 and today it told me that there's an update, should I update it directly from the phone, or is there anybetter way?
Btw is this update 2.3?
The update should have information about the update. I see that the phone actually ships with 1.6 and is upgradable to 2.1 Have you check what version your phone is running right now? Go to Settings>About Phone>Software Information and check the Android version.

Either way, go ahead and install the update. It shouldn't do you any harm.

Apr 15, 2006
Why weren't you impressed btw?

The Desire S and Incredible S seem like moderate upgrades, but since you're coming from a Hero, it should still be a good update. I'd like to see what new features the new Sense has too.

Nedvěd

The update should have information about the update. I see that the phone actually ships with 1.6 and is upgradable to 2.1 Have you check what version your phone is running right now? Go to Settings>About Phone>Software Information and check the Android version.

Either way, go ahead and install the update. It shouldn't do you any harm.
I'm on 2.1 already, so do I get 2.3?

My mate told me not to update it via phone (he has a HTC)

Gonna update it later tonight, thanks for the info mate.

Apr 15, 2006
Nedvěd;2898569 said:
I'm on 2.1 already, so do I get 2.3?

My mate told me not to update it via phone (he has a HTC)

Gonna update it later tonight, thanks for the info mate.
I think it's just a bug fixes update to 2.1 itself. Don't think there's an official Android 2.2 or 2.3 update for the X8 available yet.

EDIT: Just checked SE's website. There's no mention of 2.3 or 2.2 for the X8. I'm afraid the update you're seeing is just a maintainence update, and not a complete OS update.

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/support/phones/xperiax8?cc=us&lc=en

Marty

tuz
Administrator
Jul 2, 2005
What's the real advantage of 2.2? I guess it would be faster but I find the phone to be fairly quick anyway. Anything else I'd get with 2.2?

OP
JCK

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #1,972
    Why weren't you impressed btw?

The Desire S and Incredible S seem like moderate upgrades, but since you're coming from a Hero, it should still be a good update. I'd like to see what new features the new Sense has too.
    Because both phones you mentioned seem to be released just for the sake of releasing where the Desire HD is still their flagship. All manufacturers released great devices at the MWC except HTC which were just satisfied by, as you said, decent upgrades. That and a lame tablet.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #1,974
    What's the real advantage of 2.2? I guess it would be faster but I find the phone to be fairly quick anyway. Anything else I'd get with 2.2?
    Not much of a difference I guess but the 2.3 is something.

Apr 15, 2006
    Here's the changelog from Wiki:

On 20 May 2010, the 2.2 (Froyo) SDK was released.[15] Changes included:[16]
    General Android OS speed, memory, and performance optimizations[17]
    Additional application speed improvements courtesy of JIT implementation[18]
    Integration of Chrome's V8 JavaScript engine into the Browser application
    Increased Microsoft Exchange support (security policies, auto-discovery, GAL look-up, calendar synchronization, remote wipe)
    Improved application launcher with shortcuts to Phone and Browser applications
    USB tethering and Wi-Fi hotspot functionality
    Added an option to disable data access over mobile network
    Updated Market application with batch and automatic update features[17]
    Quick switching between multiple keyboard languages and their dictionaries
    Voice dialing and contact sharing over Bluetooth
    Support for numeric and alphanumeric passwords
    Support for file upload fields in the Browser application[19]
    Support for installing applications to the expandable memory
    Adobe Flash 10.1 support[20]
    Support for extra high DPI screens (320 dpi), such as 4" 720p

Because both phones you mentioned seem to be released just for the sake of releasing where the Desire HD is still their flagship. All manufacturers released great devices at the MWC except HTC which were just satisfied by, as you said, decent upgrades. That and a lame tablet.
    True, but at least these phones have the much needed front facing camera, and higher RAM, plus a GPU. I wouldn't upgrade my Desire to the Desire S, but for you, it is a pretty feature-filled phone.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #1,976
    True, but at least these phones have the much needed front facing camera, and higher RAM, plus a GPU. I wouldn't upgrade my Desire to the Desire S, but for you, it is a pretty feature-filled phone.
    It is indeed a huge jump for me but I could have done that with the Desire or the Desire HD and I can still do at even lower prices now that there are newer slightly better devices.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #1,978
    Can I ask guys how often do you charge your phones? Mine tends to last something like 3-4 days at very light use.
    2 years for me. I just get a contract for 24 months and I change phone when it is out and sign a new contract.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
    Aug 27, 2008
    :D

Mine depends on the usage. Sometimes I charge every two days and some days twice a day... A lot to do with the amount of time I've WiFi on...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)