American NFL Football (9 Viewers)

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Better than Seattle.

Mytlanta is a tough opponent, and the dome is loud. But I would rather face this year's Mylanta over last year's Giants. Should be a well-matched game.

And btw, dolphins are much more fearsome when there are bombs strapped to their dorsal fins. :stuckup:

cant be as effective as patriot missiles

what matchup? :D ... they may as well book the flights and hotel rooms in NO

phew, this game is finally over. Hate it when they try so hard to revive a dead game ... think at some point the refs made a decision that went the Pats' way but can't remember what it was about :p. Anyways, bad luck with the Gronk injury - seems to be done for the season ... the Pats just can't catch a break with their mist imposing weapon on offense - last year he was injured for the SB and now won't even make the AFC title game :sad:. Next man up, I guess.
Will be a tough game vs the Ravens. Those fuckers always come to play in this type of games.

And Seattle, wtf :sergio:
i call atlanta upset :D and pats have enough familiarity and weapons to be alright

Buy on AliExpress.com
Mar 4, 2007
Bring on the 49ers.. I don't think CK will repeat the same performance like the one last night. the niners secondary is not good as the Seattle's one. and playing at home should give as the edge on this one.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
told you acmilan. falcons over seahawks.
way to make a point after the falcons barely escaped the shame of the decade :p - Seattle let the win slip thru their fingers. Now the Falcons' only shot vs the 49ers is that they play at home and hopefully Kaep will be rattled in an away play off game

- - - Updated - - -

Bring on the 49ers.. I don't think CK will repeat the same performance like the one last night. the niners secondary is not good as the Seattle's one. and playing at home should give as the edge on this one.
I don't think the 9er secondary is worse than that of Seattle - if anything their pass-rush is much better, which would help out the secondary a lot. Also, I think the problem with seattle was that they weren't prepped mentally for the game as the team looked rattled and confused, lacked energy, urgency, you name it in the 1st half and dug itself in a big hole. Had they played properly for the entire game, it would have never been such a close game. Seattle had that problem vs the Skins too and only RG3's injury saved their asses there. They seem to be a very diff team playing away compared to when they are in seattle even in the playoffs when teams usually elevate their game a level.
I think this is largely due to how the coach preps his players for the game and Jim Harbaugh is excellent in that regard and doubt his team would need an entire half to get going - I really don't see how Atlanta can get favorable match-ups vs the 9ers and hope to win that game.

- - - Updated - - -

i call atlanta upset :D and pats have enough familiarity and weapons to be alright
well, you got that right - it would be an upset :p

the Pats deal as well as any other team out there with injuries but Gronky is such a massive weapon, there is just no way he won't be missed in what would be one or two very close games as the quality of the opposition only gets better and better as you go deeper into the postseason. Can only hope what they have left would prove to be enough :xfinger:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
AC Milan, see if you agree with me on this.

Here is what I see needs to be done on defense for the Niners to win on Sunday.

#1) Seal the edges on the running game, but not by going sideline to sideline. Watching the Falcons yesterday, it seems that they have been able to somewhat find their running game by running the ball slightly off tackle with Michael Turner. Turner doesn't have the speed to go totally wide on either side of the field, so they have narrowed the running lanes for him to go through. It will be imperaitve for Borrks and especially Aldon Smith to seal off those small edges and force Turner to run up the middle.

#2) Funnel the passing attack towards the middle of the field. Brown and Rogers will have trouble physically with Jones and White downfield, however they can do a solid job on the short routes. Therefore, I think the Niners will need to get at Matt Ryan early enough in the game to speed up his mental clock when he drops back to pass. I notice that the Falcons don't use very many short routes with their wide receivers, as it is usually intermediate to deep routes. If the Niners can get Ryan to read and release a half second earlier, he will be forced to go over the middle more often, where the strength of the defense with Willis, Bowman, Whitner, and Goldson happen to be..

For the Falcons to win on the defensive side of the ball. It is imperative that they have a spy on Kaepernick at all times. One of their middle LB's are going to need to keep an eye on him every single play. Now, that basically does take away a defender on every play, but if Kaepernick does not develop an early rapport with Davis on crossing routes over the middle or seam routes, it could work in Atalanta's favor

Doubleteam Crabtree at every opportunity. I never would have said that at this time last year, but Crabtree has now developed into a top tier WR. He always had great hands, but now he reads the field better, and is able to find holes in the secondary to get first downs, and he is as money as you can get in the red zone now.

One of the things that should worry Falcons fans is the progression of Kaepernick as a passer. He was always a runner and a thrower, but he has developed rapidly in the last 8 weeks as a passer.

What worries me as a Niners fan is if Ryan gets enough time to throw, he could hit Jones and/or White with several big plays downfield.

Thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

And yes.

I Kaepernicked this morning, in case anyone was wondering

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
yep, Sergio, I agree on basically all accounts. As much as I understand your anxiety, I really don't think you have much to worry about - trust me, I'd love for the Falcons to win should the Pats make the SB, but I just can't find one good reason for why this could actually happen. As poor the Ravens have been by their usual standard this year, and as good as the falcons have been - probably the best Falcons team I've seen, ever - I'd much rather see my Pats play away at the Falcons than at home vs the Ravens.

When it comes to RBs, I'd worry more about the small but tough and elusive Rodgers than Turner. As good a RB as the latter is, he's a bit too slow to pose a real threat, on a consistent basis, to the quick and tough LB core of the 49ers, should he make it past the front 4, that is. Good thing for you guys is that the Falcons don't give Rodgers as many snaps as they should, imo. Also, while I don't have the stats from last game, the Falcons don't have a consistent running game in general and most of their running yards vs Seattle came in the 1st half when the seahawks were still finding their footing (very much like the Skins had gashed them a week earlier). Once Seattle woke up and realized the game had already started, however, Atlanta had a tough time running on them, this made them too 1-D on offense and the seattle secondary won the battle with the falcons WR. I honestly cannot imagine the 49ers taking so long to enter the game as the Seahawks did, which I think is the main difference between two very similarly built teams.

One other thing that comes to mind is something I don't see mentioned enough - Atlanta is a one-half of football team. I have yet to see them play consistently thru 60 min, ecpet maybe vs a dead NY Giants team. Atlanta is usually very good for either the 1st or 2nd half but rarely, if ever, thruout an entire game. Yesterday, for example, the game seemed to be over at HT but I was telling friends I was watching it with that the Falcons would cool off in the 2nd and Seattle would make a come back and if not for the 6 pts seattle left on the field, they'd have won the game. That's another reason why I just can't for the life of me come up with a good reason why they stand a chance vs the 49ers even in Atlanta. In San fran this game would have been a 4-5 possession blowout, imo, but because it's in Atlanta, I'd say it would be a 3 possession game. Would love to see the Falcons pull it off somehow, but it's simply beyond me how that could happen.

All in all, the 49ers, with their quick yet tough defense and balanced offense, are way too tough a match up for a team like the Falcons, with it's average defense and relying too heavily on passing O, as they use their more often than not anemic running game simply to set up the pass. Yet, the biggest mismatch I see between these two is the mentality of these teams - while Matty Ice is a good QB, he is not a winner and see him struggling vs the 49ers secondary (less tha 3-4 ints, and I'd be officially impressed), and the same goes for the Falcons' coach - just looking at the guys body-language tells me all I need to know, don't even have to look at his postseason record. At the same time the 9ers are as tough a team as there is in the league, they aren't perfect, but are mentally tough.

Of course the Falcons have a very good WR core, of course Ryan is a good QB and can swing it, of course they would make some big plays here and there just don't see them doing it on a consistent enough basis to win this game. Barring a brain-fart of a performance from Kaep, who I have to say has been guilty of some of these this season, there is just no game here for me.

Oh, and did I mention John Abraham may well not be able to play and even if he makes it, he would likely be very limited and ineffective?

P.S. Apologies to Falcon fans around here if I seem to dis their team too much but it's how I see it unravel.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Living less than two miles from Candlestick, I'm bummed that the 9ers have to go to the Dog Mauling Dome in Mylanta. (Ya know, this Kaepernick guy sure can run for a QB... he just doesn't look the part. :rndh:) But I would much rather face Atlanta than Seattle.

Vernon Davis has to come up with some QB chemistry for this one, as if I were Atlanta I would double-team the hell out of Crabtree.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Interesting tidbit.

Kaepernick beat two NFL MVP's this season in the span of a month, and beat three Super Bowl MVP's this season, two of them on the road

@acmilan Thank you for your response

- - - Updated - - -

Living less than two miles from Candlestick, I'm bummed that the 9ers have to go to the Dog Mauling Dome in Mylanta. (Ya know, this Kaepernick guy sure can run for a QB... he just doesn't look the part. :rndh:) But I would much rather face Atlanta than Seattle.

Vernon Davis has to come up with some QB chemistry for this one, as if I were Atlanta I would double-team the hell out of Crabtree.[/QUOTE]

Hey, thanks for not even taking a passing glance at my post this morning :D

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Vernon Davis has to come up with some QB chemistry for this one, as if I were Atlanta I would double-team the hell out of Crabtree.[/QUOTE]

Hey, thanks for not even taking a passing glance at my post this morning :D
I didn't give you the full Cronios treatment... I did read some bits. :D

But you needed to spell out Davis more. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)