American NFL Football (25 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
one would think they could have gotten something more than a 6th rounder from a team that is basically drowning in picks this year but then again he is gonna be 33 this season.

Makes sense for the Ravens if they couldn't hold onto Boldin to at least get him out of the AFC and not many teams out there with the salary cap space than could afford a 33 yo WR on those terms, right now.

Good pick up by the 49ers too, great even considering the price they paid.
A 6th round pick basically has no value, unless you get really lucky. Boldin was great in the play-offs, he's an on-field leader, and still has the skill set to get the job done. Great pick up for a team that will have a young quarterback trying to avoid the second year hangover.

Jul 10, 2006
It's not a dumb move by the Ravens. If they didn't trade him they would have just released him. He refused to restructure his contract and they have other moves they want to make. Wait and see what they do with the money saved from getting Boldin off of the books before we decide the trade a steal.

Boldin was due to make $6m AND he hasn't caught more than 65 passes in a season for the past three years. I know he had a great super bowl, but still, he's been very average the last few years and they can probably find someone for cheaper who can put up similar numbers.

Also, Boldin is 32 and likely in the last couple years of his career. Tough to lose a veteran, but probably a smart move by the Ravens in the long run.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
A 6th round pick basically has no value, unless you get really lucky. Boldin was great in the play-offs, he's an on-field leader, and still has the skill set to get the job done. Great pick up for a team that will have a young quarterback trying to avoid the second year hangover.
I dont necessarily disagree with you but you need to keep in mind the circumstances which the Ravens were facing - they were about to release Boldin, who as Vinny mentioned refused to restructure his contract, anyway and would have risked seeing him go to the Pats or Colts or Texans even.

The Ravens may not have gotten much with that 6th round pick but they freed up some much needed cap space, as well as made sure he didn't got to another AFC team. Also, not many options there for trade partners when talking about a 33 yo WR (about to be anyway), who was due 6-7 mil in salary (also due to cap space limitation many teams out there are facing), which limited what they could get in a trade.

Plus, as Vinny mentioned again, Boldin may have been great in the p-offs but he performed well above his average/usual level there, so can't just freely assume next year you'd be getting the same WR, who was instrumental in the Ravens' SB run this postseason ... not at that level, at least.

- - - Updated - - -

a comment on the ESPN article about the Boldin trade:

Mom, John is giving me his leftovers.
:lol:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I dont necessarily disagree with you but you need to keep in mind the circumstances which the Ravens were facing - they were about to release Boldin, who as Vinny mentioned refused to restructure his contract, anyway and would have risked seeing him go to the Pats or Colts or Texans even.

The Ravens may not have gotten much with that 6th round pick but they freed up some much needed cap space, as well as made sure he didn't got to another AFC team. Also, not many options there for trade partners when talking about a 33 yo WR (about to be anyway), who was due 6-7 mil in salary (also due to cap space limitation many teams out there are facing), which limited what they could get in a trade.

Plus, as Vinny mentioned again, Boldin may have been great in the p-offs but he performed well above his average/usual level there, so can't just freely assume next year you'd be getting the same WR, who was instrumental in the Ravens' SB run this postseason ... not at that level, at least.

- - - Updated - - -

a comment on the ESPN article about the Boldin trade:

:lol:
Ravens probably shouldn't have made Flacco so rich.:D

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008

The Ravens may not be getting much with that 6th round pick but they are freeing up some much needed cap space, as well as making sure he doesn't got to another AFC team. Also, not many options there for trade partners when talking about a 33 yo WR (about to be anyway), who's due 6-7 mil in salary this year (also due to cap space limitation many teams out there are facing), which limited what they could get in a trade.

AC, you may as well have just said that Boldin is a clutch player, a consummate professional, who apparently plays his best football when it counts most.

9er fans are going to be more than alright with AB. His experience is great, he'll help our young receivers and QB a ton.

Other than that, a quick glance at his stats shows me his highest reception and yardage totals from his time in Baltimore were last season. He's not a player who's going to all of a sudden drop off the deep end, he's only 33 and takes great care of his body.

For a year, Boldin is going to be a very nice complimentary piece in San Francisco. This is a classy move by the Ravens, who get the highest pick they were offered (read a report, apparently one other team offered a 7 - can't remember who it supposedly was... Minny, maybe?), and keep their player out of the Division.

Crabtree, Manningham, Boldin - and then they'll obviously be planning on gradually integrating AJ Jenkins a little more. This is a tremendous stop gap move for a Superbowl contender - frankly, I think it would be pretty hard to find someone knowledgable about the game who would disagree with that. No long term risk, the only issue with the player was that cap hit, there are no legitimate grievances or flags with Boldin - he's a known commodity, who's going to fit in great and bring a tremendous work ethic to the team.

T. Smith is crushed Boldin's on his way out, I bet there are a lot of Ravens who aren't happy about what happened this afternoon.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
AC, you may as well have just said that Boldin is a clutch player, a consummate professional, who apparently plays his best football when it counts most.

9er fans are going to be more than alright with AB. His experience is great, he'll help our young receivers and QB a ton.

Other than that, a quick glance at his stats shows me his highest reception and yardage totals from his time in Baltimore were last season. He's not a player who's going to all of a sudden drop off the deep end, he's only 33 and takes great care of his body.

For a year, Boldin is going to be a very nice complimentary piece in San Francisco. This is a classy move by the Ravens, who get the highest pick they were offered (read a report, apparently one other team offered a 7 - can't remember who it supposedly was... Minny, maybe?), and keep their player out of the Division.

Crabtree, Manningham, Boldin - and then they'll obviously be planning on gradually integrating AJ Jenkins a little more. This is a tremendous stop gap move for a Superbowl contender - frankly, I think it would be pretty hard to find someone knowledgable about the game who would disagree with that. No long term risk, the only issue with the player was that cap hit, there are no legitimate grievances or flags with Boldin - he's a known commodity, who's going to fit in great and bring a tremendous work ethic to the team.

T. Smith is crushed Boldin's on his way out, I bet there are a lot of Ravens who aren't happy about what happened this afternoon.
Rollie, you may as well have said you are a 49ers fan :D

Boldin had a great postseason last season but that was the peak of his career, so far, and not something he'd shown on a regular basis prior to that spell of 4 games or so (an mind you, he's played in p-off games before too). Doing so at 32, soon to be 33, that spells more like a swan song to me than a preview of things to come.
Let's not make it sound like we are talking about a player entering his prime, who's just reached a new high in his level of performance and is likely to keep it up for another 5+ years.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008

Boldin had a great postseason last season but that was the peak of his career, so far, and not something he'd shown on a regular basis prior to that spell of 4 games or so (an mind you, he's played in p-off games before too). Doing so at 32, soon to be 33, that spells more like a swan song to me than a preview of things to come.
Let's not make it sound like we are talking about a player entering his prime, who's just reached a new high in his level of performance and is likely to keep it up for another 5+ years.
Love my 9 :D

But you're missing the point, brother. Nobody, absolutely nobody, in San Francisco's management (or here) is expecting Boldin to average 95 yards a game. They expect, roughly, to get what I said: a consummate professional, great teammate, tremendous work ethic, tough as nails; somebody everybody respects, who will be easy to integrate into the team. If you look at his playoff numbers throughout his career, they're generally quite solid - the guy is a big game player. He'll probably post right around the totals that he has the past three years in B-More - that's what I expect. I don't really rate Flacco at all, and Boldin will be entering a contract year, so he could even be a shade north of that, but I think what you see is basically what you get with this guy.

When I said Boldin would be with the 9 for 1 year, how did I make it sound like I was expecting he was going to keep it up for 5+ more? His game is not predicated on speed, he's a workout warrior who will abuse his opponents for possession yardage, and help with our spacing. I simply don't see his numbers taking a nose dive this season - and this season is almost certainly all that matters to San Francisco regarding Boldin.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003

I don't think that anyone is saying this.

However, he is an immediate and marked improvement over Randy Moss, and the Niners only gave up a 6th round pick for him.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
I don't think that anyone is saying this.

However, he is an immediate and marked improvement over Randy Moss, and the Niners only gave up a 6th round pick for him.
Love my 9 :D

But you're missing the point, brother. Nobody, absolutely nobody, in San Francisco's management (or here) is expecting Boldin to average 95 yards a game. They expect, roughly, to get what I said: a consummate professional, great teammate, tremendous work ethic, tough as nails; somebody everybody respects, who will be easy to integrate into the team. If you look at his playoff numbers throughout his career, they're generally quite solid - the guy is a big game player. He'll probably post right around the totals that he has the past three years in B-More - that's what I expect. I don't really rate Flacco at all, and Boldin will be entering a contract year, so he could even be a shade north of that, but I think what you see is basically what you get with this guy.

When I said Boldin would be with the 9 for 1 year, how did I make it sound like I was expecting he was going to keep it up for 5+ more? His game is not predicated on speed, he's a workout warrior who will abuse his opponents for possession yardage, and help with our spacing. I simply don't see his numbers taking a nose dive this season - and this season is almost certainly all that matters to San Francisco regarding Boldin.
:oops: my bad - I was leaving in a hurry and read only the first part of your previous post, which made me think you were implying he'd be a long-term solution :D

I agree, and did so earlier too, that Boldin would be a very good pick up by the 49ers in the short run (next season, basically). The only issue I see with him would be the cap hit he would bring but as long as the 49ers can afford that, that's fine. He could well turn out to be the missing piece of the puzzle for the team.

Still, when it comes to projections and expectations, one should be wary of the fact that his performance last postseason was more an exception than the norm by his own standards. He would be what you need if he can repeat that last postseason in SanFran but again, that can't be taken as a given because he doesn't exactly have a career-long habit of being the clutch WR you believe he is.

- - - Updated - - -

what the fuck just happened today?!?
lots of shit :p

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
:oops: my bad - I was leaving in a hurry and read only the first part of your previous post, which made me think you were implying he'd be a long-term solution :D

I agree, and did so earlier too, that Boldin would be a very good pick up by the 49ers in the short run (next season, basically). The only issue I see with him would be the cap hit he would bring but as long as the 49ers can afford that, that's fine. He could well turn out to be the missing piece of the puzzle for the team.

Still, when it comes to projections and expectations, one should be wary of the fact that his performance last postseason was more an exception than the norm by his own standards. He would be what you need if he can repeat that last postseason in SanFran but again, that can't be taken as a given because he doesn't exactly have a career-long habit of being the clutch WR you believe he is.

- - - Updated - - -

lots of shit :p
Ahh, got you. But, like I said, the expectations are for him to basically be an awesome teammate, and a solid, productive #2/3 WR. That's really all it is.

He's a gamer, a guy who knows what it takes to win, and doesn't shy away from the big moments. I also think that considering we're talking about a guy who went over 1000 yards 5 times in his career (granted, not since his last season in AZ), you may have kind of undersold the player's historical quality in that previous post of yours (or whatever you want to call it - just saying, you make his career sound awfully pedestrian for a guy who once had 1400+ yards in 14 games, whether he's opposite Fitzy or not). As someone who grew up in the NFC west, I definitely have a solid appreciation for Boldin's qualities.

- - - Updated - - -

:D

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-netwo...9593/How-big-a-loss-is-Boldin-trade-to-Ravens

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-netwo...000149901/Flacco-Ravens-react-to-Boldin-trade

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty obvious that AP wasn't going to like the trade; he'd made a comment about PH similar to this previously, just after he went down with the ankle. I still think all of the 'health and character concerns' surrounding Percy that have been parroted and recycled by the media to a nauseating degree, are vastly overblown.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...peterson-equates-harvin-trade-to-stomach-kick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)