American NFL Football (38 Viewers)

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
They will probably end up re-signing him.

My train of thought is that a great CB makes an average Safety look good.

A great safety with a bad CB is still an average secondary
hes going to want a lot of money, i really dont think hes staying

I guess we'll see what happens with Dashon... how many times has he been franchised? Just last year? I do hope they bring him back, love the way those boys hit back there, make the opposition aware of that presence. Damn, I'm excited for football, time for a workout.
:D cute

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I wasn't referring to the 49ers. I was just speaking in general.
Ohhhh, yoooouuuuuu're jellllly. :D

Seriously though, I am not an authority at all on college ball. I have read that there are some decent prospects in the secondary, and along the D Line though, and that's where the 9 are most in need of help. We'll still get a bit of a skill position injection anyway, with LaMichael and hopefully AJ making a bigger (read: any) impact this year.

hes going to want a lot of money, i really dont think hes staying

:D cute
It's been awhile, brother. :D Almost a 2.5 month hiatus on any significant workouts, it was relatively minor today, but glorious. Still buzzing.

It sounds like they could be saving that franchise tag for Delaney; Baalke said Dashon's a priority, but it seems like he could walk.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I've been a Houston fan since I was little, a Texans fan since their inception. I could care less about the 49ers. :p

I thought the 49ers weren't going to franchise Golston again? I think he'd be stupid to walk. He should remember Mario.

Anywho, there's not the amazing top 10 talent like there has been the last few years. The awesome DT from Utah has a heart condition. None of the QBs are sure things and the running backs all ran 4.6 40s.

That said, I like the corner from Alabama that ran a 4.3something with a messed up shoulder and any WVU.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
Oh Thank God.

Finally.

I can't believe the Chiefs actually gave up their 2nd round pick :howler:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...ee-trade-alex-smith-kansas-city-chiefs-source

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and one more thing.

A big THANK YOU to Kansas City for helping the 49ers clear out nearly 9 million in cap space too :howler:
imo, there are no losers in this deal - both teams get good value for what they give away. With this poor QB class and lack of free agents, if it wasn't for Smith's hefty contract and not so young age, the 49ers could have gotten even that 1st pick. KC couldn't afford to wait and hope that Luck 2.0 falls in their lap from somewhere and got easily the best QB in the draft/free agency, while preserving that 1st pick they'd have had to otherwise waste on Geno Smith or whoever. At the same time, the 49ers got good value for a player they didn't need anymore and even had to get rid of, with cap-space in mind. So, all in all, this is a match made in heaven, as far as I am concerned.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
imo, there are no losers in this deal - both teams get good value for what they give away. With this poor QB class and lack of free agents, if it wasn't for Smith's hefty contract and not so young age, the 49ers could have gotten even that 1st pick. KC couldn't afford to wait and hope that Luck 2.0 falls in their lap from somewhere and got easily the best QB in the draft/free agency, while preserving that 1st pick they'd have had to otherwise waste on Geno Smith or whoever. At the same time, the 49ers got good value for a player they didn't need anymore and even had to get rid of, with cap-space in mind. So, all in all, this is a match made in heaven, as far as I am concerned.
I think it's a good match. KC has some weapons, now they've got a solid QB.

I'm interested to see how high Geno goes. He's not top 10 material, but he did run a 4.58.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
Long on Depth, short on Sure fire talents.

And when you are picking where the 49ers are, it's all about depth at this point.
generally, I'd agree but the sure-fire talent doesn't exactly fall beyond 15-18th pick in other years either, so I think people/media tend to dis this year's draft quality mostly because there is no Andrew Luck or RG3 to suck off till end of April. Other than that, while there may not be the odd Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson option, this draft is particularly rich in WR, DL (both DE and especially DT), OL, and S talent and there are quite a few QBs that project in the 1st round too. In other words, minus the obvious lock for the top pick or top two picks, I don't think it's any diff than most previous drafts.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003

I'm not knocking KC for getting him, because he is a lot better than what they've had the past 6 years. It's just...........................................................just......................................................................................a 2nd round pick this year and a pick next year that ca be as high as a 3rd :howler:

If someone told me 2 weeks ago that the 49ers would be able to get a pick in the first 40 selections of this year's draft for Alex Smith and his 9 million dollar contract, I would have asked for the number of their drug dealer.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
I think it's a good match. KC has some weapons, now they've got a solid QB.

I'm interested to see how high Geno goes. He's not top 10 material, but he did run a 4.58.
imo, there is no QB this year that's worth a top 40 pick. this being said, because of the lack of QB quality options in free agency and the number of teams in need for a new QB (now it's minus 1 with KC getting A. Smith), I expect 1-2 QBs to go in top 10 (before the Smith deal, it was actually 2-3). Geno Smith imo would go to one of Oakland or Arizona, and that's excluding teams like the Browns, Jags, Bills that are on the balance of whether they should go for a new QB this year or next.
Any future free agency dealings like the one for A. Smith could change that, of course. Geno Smith should be 1st one off the board, imo, even if I can see Arizona draft Glennon over him with Ariens taking over and his previous experience with Big Ben at Pittsburgh.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I understand the money issue, but Smith has been pretty good the past few seasons. 2nd rounder seems fair.

Coincidence that it has happened since Harbaugh was there?

Here's the issue. Andy Reid does not like to run the ball. With McCoy, he barely did it, and with Charles, I don't think he's going to alter from his gameplans. He is just that stubborn

Which means that Alex Smith is going to be required to throw the ball at least 10 times more per game than he is used to. Anytime he has to throw over 25 times per game, he runs into problems

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

Here's the issue. Andy Reid does not like to run the ball. With McCoy, he barely did it, and with Charles, I don't think he's going to alter from his gameplans. He is just that stubborn

Which means that Alex Smith is going to be required to throw the ball at least 10 times more per game than he is used to. Anytime he has to throw over 25 times per game, he runs into problems
Ah, so you expect him to flop in KC. Wouldn't surprise me either.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

bang bang

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Ah, so you expect him to flop in KC. Wouldn't surprise me either.
I don't know what to expect.

I don't want him to flop. He's a class individual (However people need to stop with this ridiculous notion that somehow the 49ers did him wrong. If I sucked at my job the first 6 years I was employed and got nearly 40 million dollars guaranteed during that span, the last thing that I would want is for people to say that I was wronged)

History shows that the more he throws, the more chances there are to mess things up. Harbaugh knew his strengths, knew to keep the routes to short and intermediate, to never stretch the field.

Andy Reid stretches the field, and Alex doesn't have that kind of arm anymore. He never really truly had one, but once his shoulder became shredded wheat thanks to Mike Nolan, he doesn't have the arm strength

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
I'm not knocking KC for getting him, because he is a lot better than what they've had the past 6 years. It's just...........................................................just......................................................................................a 2nd round pick this year and a pick next year that ca be as high as a 3rd :howler:

If someone told me 2 weeks ago that the 49ers would be able to get a pick in the first 40 selections of this year's draft for Alex Smith and his 9 million dollar contract, I would have asked for the number of their drug dealer.
When you don't have a QB, yo got no project. When you got no project to build on, what the f-ing hell would you need all those draft picks, especially the ones in the top 3 rounds that got some tangible value? Improve from a 2-14 record onto a 5-11 one? :p

For a team in KC situation, they couldn't afford to not draft a QB with their top pick, which would have given them very poor return, considering the QB class this year. Let's say they didn't and waited to take that rookie QB with the 34th pick - who do you get there when it's quite likely that Geno Smith and Matt Barkley or any other QBs that may be worth looking at in this draft may well not fall there. Let's say they get Glennon or Nassib with it, do they really get better value for that 34th pick than sending to the 49ers for Smith? Doubt that unless part of their plans for next season or two include pulling Brady 2.0 somewhere in the 6th :D
Either way, they end up spending at least an early 2nd rounder for a QB who would be nowhere near Smith's level. Now, they at least have a project with a tried and true quantity like Smith at Qb and still have that 1st rounder to build on to it.

Something else, considering the KCs track record of getting top value for their picks - unless you think they have all those early pick year after year by sheer coincidence :p - who knows what crap of a player (not just QB) they'd have spent that pick(s) they gave the 9ers anyway. At least now they get a good Qb in Smith.

No losers in this deal, imo. :)

- - - Updated - - -

not a coincidence but you always have to account that for a good QB to shine and show his actual value, the rest of the team has to be up to scratch too. Doubt even Brady would have made out of that previous 9ers team SB contenders.

Similarly with Smth - he is unlikely to find the same level of ability and talent at KC he had with the 9ers under Harbough but he's shown he can do well when those around him do their job. So, as long as the other pieces of the puzzle fit well together for KC, he can be very good for them - best of what was available anyway. If not and things stay as messy as they are, Smith would fair as well as any other QB in the midst of a chaotic, self-destructing organization.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I don't know if Alex will flop or not in KC, but this was a best case scenario for the 9. I've been doing backflips all day.

San Fran caught a break with the market/number of teams needing QB help. That, and Andy Reid wants to do bad man things to Alex.

Otherwise, I think KC overpaid. Again. As Sergio mentioned, there were a lot of factors running in Alex's favour. Others include the O-line blossoming, and having that defense backing up Alex - that was huge for his confidence. My gut feeling is that KC overpaid here. Either way, I'm expecting a lot of check downs to Charles, lots of short stuff to Dexter.

It'll be interesting to see what the contract ends up looking like.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
@acmilan

How many of those players on offense were brought in by Jim Harbaugh when he took over the 49ers 2 years ago?

Give up?

Ready for this?

Zero

Nada

None

The entire offensive starting XI, and including Delanie Walker as the 2nd TE, were holdovers from the 2010-2011 season. The only addition was Kendall Hunter.

Tom Brady takes the 2010-2011 49ers very, very deep into the playoffs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 35)