Aaah, the drama in Rome... (3 Viewers)

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
Montella adds to Roma chaos
Thursday 30 September, 2004

Roma are set to fine Vincenzo Montella after he allegedly refused to play against Real Madrid.

Reports in Italy on Thursday suggest that the striker was told to warm up in preparation for a second half substitute appearance – but he ignored caretaker boss Ezio Sella.

It seems that Montella was unhappy at being relegated to the bench despite his scoring record this season.

The Italian has netted four goals in just 221 minutes of Serie A football but was left out of the line-up for the recent defeats to both Bologna and Real.

Montella, who also had a difficult relationship with former boss Fabio Capello, is now set to be handed a fine by the Giallorossi.

This incident is just the latest in a long line of indiscipline that has marred the capital club’s start to the season.

Antonio Cassano and Philippe Mexes have also been handed financial penalties this term after being sent-off in matches.

Montella will be hoping that the arrival of Gigi Del Neri as new Coach will help his situation at the Stadio Olimpico.

Especially as the former Chievo boss did hint that the Sampdoria legend would be a key figure in his plans.

"Roma won’t have too many problems with Totti, Cassano and Montella in the side," he said at his official unveiling yesterday.

Meanwhile, Roma are today being linked with a double swoop once the January transfer window opens.

They are keen to land Siena winger Rodrigo Taddei and Ajax defender Maxwell, who has also been linked with Juventus.

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
That Montella story reflects a big part of Roma's problem right now: too much me and not enough we.

One of the most impressive things that Ancelotti did last season for AC Milan, and it was reflected in their record, is ensure that the depth of their quality players always put team success over personal wishes.

A big part of Roma's current crisis is that too many players are putting their own personal interests ahead of the team's. And the results show.

The Pado

Filthy Gobbo
Jul 12, 2002
It's probably difficult to think about the team when they have not seen a pay check in six months. They are just thinking how can I move to a club that will pay me.

OP
Erkka

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
  • Thread Starter #144
    actually I'm pretty sure that there's a rule about pay checks... I mean that if you don't pay the players' wages in 6months they can leave for free or something... :undecide: Got to check ut out...

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
    I think that Roma should concentrate on playing well 1st. Then the team will be very strong in Team cooperation.

Hope that Roma will solve their financial crisis problem asap

The Pado

Filthy Gobbo
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Erkka ] ++
    actually I'm pretty sure that there's a rule about pay checks... I mean that if you don't pay the players' wages in 6months they can leave for free or something... :undecide: Got to check ut out...
    That is, in fact, the very rule that allowed Fabio Capello to walk out on Roma. Since he had not been paid in 6 months, his Roma contract was voidable.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Arif ] ++
    Montella adds to Roma chaos
    Thursday 30 September, 2004

Roma are set to fine Vincenzo Montella after he allegedly refused to play against Real Madrid.

Reports in Italy on Thursday suggest that the striker was told to warm up in preparation for a second half substitute appearance – but he ignored caretaker boss Ezio Sella.

It seems that Montella was unhappy at being relegated to the bench despite his scoring record this season.

The Italian has netted four goals in just 221 minutes of Serie A football but was left out of the line-up for the recent defeats to both Bologna and Real.

Montella, who also had a difficult relationship with former boss Fabio Capello, is now set to be handed a fine by the Giallorossi.

This incident is just the latest in a long line of indiscipline that has marred the capital club’s start to the season.

Antonio Cassano and Philippe Mexes have also been handed financial penalties this term after being sent-off in matches.

Montella will be hoping that the arrival of Gigi Del Neri as new Coach will help his situation at the Stadio Olimpico.

Especially as the former Chievo boss did hint that the Sampdoria legend would be a key figure in his plans.

"Roma won’t have too many problems with Totti, Cassano and Montella in the side," he said at his official unveiling yesterday.

Meanwhile, Roma are today being linked with a double swoop once the January transfer window opens.

They are keen to land Siena winger Rodrigo Taddei and Ajax defender Maxwell, who has also been linked with Juventus.
    i perfectly understand the fine,roma need every cent they can get.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    You guys sure that Roma haven't paid for them? UEFA has this new rule under which if you don't close your books you don't play in European competitions.

Aug 1, 2003
    Still, I just wonder what Sensi does to lure these players to Roma. I don't mean to sound criticizing or looking down on Roma, but what do they really have got to offer compared to Inter, Milan and Juve? What do they offer to Chivu, Mexes etc? :undecide:

The Pado

Filthy Gobbo
    Jul 12, 2002
    Roma can offer the bright lights of Serie A, the promise of European competition and the beautiful city of Rome, where most people would love to live.

Aug 1, 2003
    So can Juve, Inter, and Milan (except maybe that first team thing) and I don't think staying in Rome could be a big factor... could it? Milan seems to be a better city, that's what they say anyway

OP
    Erkka

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
  • Thread Starter #160
    Zebina erases Roma stint
    Wednesday 6 October, 2004

------------------------------------------------------------------

Juventus stopper Jonathan Zebina says he would rather forget about his four years with Roma.

"I was under intense pressure for my entire stay there in a negative and unhealthy environment," said the defender.

"I had to cope with certain responsibilities which should never have been put onto my shoulders. It’s best to simply forget."

Zebina had some tough times in the capital and was often criticised by the Giallorossi fans for his performances.

But the former Cagliari ace looks to have been reborn following a summer switch to Juventus, a move that has seen him win a place in the French squad.

"This call-up is thanks to Juventus and Fabio Capello," he said from the Clairefontaine training base.

"It is easier to get noticed in Turin and I’m finally here. It is now my objective to remain in the squad by proving my worth.

"I have the right attitude, the determination and aggressiveness to do well with the national side."

Zebina has enjoyed a wonderful start to the new season as he has quickly settled into the right-back role for the Old Lady.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)