Would You Be Happy If Our League Rivals Sold Their Best Players To Foreign Leagues? (17 Viewers)

Would You Be Happy If Our League Rivals Sold Their Best Players To Foreign Leagues?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
evidence of this, is why ibra wants to leave. He's obviously got bored in winning the title constantly and finds it to easy.
Technically he's won like, what?, four straight scudetti between Juve and Inter?

I think what gnaws at him more is that he's adored in Italy but is considered an overrated hack outside of Italy and Holland -- both in his club and NT play. I believe he's motivated by this more than anything else.

And all due respect to Mourinho, and in losing to Manchowder in the elimination rounds is hardly a dishonor, but finishing second to Panathinaikos in your group is hardly the stuff of European legends.

Buy on AliExpress.com

daquanqm

Apr 3, 2009
Like Porto? :shifty:

Anyways...

Nah, the one thing that would make me happy is if our league rivals sold their best players into foreign slavery. Yes, that's right, get those chumps in shackles and make them build that Three Gorges Damn.
Disregarding sporadic successes; Holland and Portugal don't have a quality home base from where they can launch consistent successful attacks on Europe.

Weaker league = smaller audiences = less money = less buying power = less stars = a weaker league. A very, VERY difficult spiral to break through. It hasn't been done yet in modern times (since the Bosman arrest).

The holy grail of modern football is TV money (unless you're Russia - oligarchs). In the financial aspect of football, England has started an insane race that's spiraling out of control. If you fall back in this race, like Holland has, there's no coming back. Portugal is now following Holland's lead (Porto drawing serious parallels to the Ajax of the mid-1990s). If Italy is going to go down the same path, they're doomed. The point of no return is closer than many Italian football fans might think.

Italy's case is made worse by the fact Germany (extremely wealthy clubs & league) and Russia (oligarchs) are uneven competitors. Germany has always underperformed, its clubs are among the richest in Europe. Russia is just too rich to remain 6th forever. Serie A has to come up with a new game plan fast or they'll be caught and overtaken.

Mar 10, 2009
Disregarding sporadic successes; Holland and Portugal don't have a quality home base from where they can launch consistent successful attacks on Europe.

Weaker league = smaller audiences = less money = less buying power = less stars = a weaker league. A very, VERY difficult spiral to break through. It hasn't been done yet in modern times (since the Bosman arrest).

The holy grail of modern football is TV money (unless you're Russia - oligarchs). In the financial aspect of football, England has started an insane race that's spiraling out of control. If you fall back in this race, like Holland has, there's no coming back. Portugal is now following Holland's lead (Porto drawing serious parallels to the Ajax of the mid-1990s). If Italy is going to go down the same path, they're doomed. The point of no return is closer than many Italian football fans might think.

Italy's case is made worse by the fact Germany (extremely wealthy clubs & league) and Russia (oligarchs) are uneven competitors. Germany has always underperformed, its clubs are among the richest in Europe. Russia is just too rich to remain 6th forever. Serie A has to come up with a new game plan fast or they'll be caught and overtaken.
10/10

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
Don't work like that. Why do clubs from Portugal and Holland fall short in the Champions League? Because their clubs aren't used to playing at a level of high quality every single week. The weakness of their home leagues is costing them money, players and quality. Causing them to fail in Europe.
Don't agree with this post. Dutch and Potuguese leagues have pretty much always been under the top 5 and yet still managed to win CL on multiple ocassions (their best clubs ---> Benfica, Porto, Ajax, PSV, even Feyenoord). Besides, one Italian club less in the CL won't matter much.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
CL expanding as a competition has made the difference. No one gives a damn about Ajax these days for example. The great Ajax generation in the 90s, will it ever happen again? Most players will play 2-3 season in smaller leagues and run off then. Preferring to play for a epl side who finishes season in position 15 than for a top smaller league club.

Mar 30, 2006
I know stars leaving takes alot out of the league. But I voted yes because it is not like Milan and Inter will not replace the players they lose with other stars... and they also have enough stars in their line ups.

The main thing with me is I dont think Ibra should have been sold to another Serie A team in the first place so it will be nice to see the back of him. HE wants to win the CL and he obviously can't get it done in Europe so he needs better players to help him. As for Kaka from a business point of view it would be stupid not to sell him given the money madrid will pay and I dont think losing him will hurt them as much as people think.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
The great Ajax generation in the 90s, will it ever happen again? Most players will play 2-3 season in smaller leagues and run off then.
Actually, that generation didn't last too long. They were all sold after a year or two. It's just that they were too young and most of them played their first or second professional season. That's why Ajax had them at the same time.

Van der Sar 24 years old, Frank de Boer 24, Ronald de Boer 24, Bogarde 24
Litmanen 23, Finidi 23, Kreek 23,
Reiziger 21, Davids 21, Overmars 21
Seedorf 18, Kanu 18, Kluivert 18, Wooter 18
Musampa 17

Only Rijkaard (32) who came to finish his career in Ajax and Danny Blind (33) were older than 24.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Actually, that generation didn't last too long. They were all sold after a year or two. It's just that they were too young and most of them played their first or second professional season. That's why Ajax had them at the same time.

Van der Sar 24 years old, Frank de Boer 24, Ronald de Boer 24, Bogarde 24
Litmanen 23, Finidi 23, Kreek 23,
Reiziger 21, Davids 21, Overmars 21
Seedorf 18, Kanu 18, Kluivert 18, Wooter 18
Musampa 17

Only Rijkaard (32) who came to finish his career in Ajax and Danny Blind (33) were older than 24.
thats why i said generation, these days watching around in smaller leagues you only have 1-2 young talents, those ajax players back in the day had come throw the youth ranks.

that would be more to do with the great wages they get in the EPL, rather than the CL expansion
that, but id also say Abramovic has had a very big influence here. EPL sides didnt spend THAT much. I remember when UTD won CL and EPL last season Mourinho said that he made utd what they are now, and his right, first of all he took chelsea to that next level, and therefore the competition really raised, lets not forget how Chelsea literally run away with the league in Mourinhos first season. UTD and others had to react. So thats why it is how it is.

And now its expanding over to the CL, epl sides (Chelsea, UTD, Pool) have such big squads that other top sides like Madrid and Barca, in order to compete need to spend also a lot.

Average Joe whos epl fan will keep talking how the epl sides are dominating the CL, but there are other reason then just playing good football in that. The money is in epl.

Having said all that, i think italian league, in order to compete, need to put more effort in marketing the league. I mean even Bundesliga, which is supposed to be more boring and less interesting league has a proper english website. Does italian serie a have one? Those who are already fans of serie a, know the english sources, like channel4, but those who are not, probably only read news from goal.com or smth.
There has been a small improvement, aka Gazzetta started english website, but still its not updating as fast as italian website.

2 years ago, they came up with this new website seriea.tv , now its been closed and supposedly being reopened in near future. http://www.seriea.tv/pubb_EN/serieatv_cortesia.html

Mar 30, 2006
Having said all that, i think italian league, in order to compete, need to put more effort in marketing the league. I mean even Bundesliga, which is supposed to be more boring and less interesting league has a proper english website. Does italian serie a have one? Those who are already fans of serie a, know the english sources, like channel4, but those who are not, probably only read news from goal.com or smth.
There has been a small improvement, aka Gazzetta started english website, but still its not updating as fast as italian website.

2 years ago, they came up with this new website seriea.tv , now its been closed and supposedly being reopened in near future. http://www.seriea.tv/pubb_EN/serieatv_cortesia.html

I think the Italian league is back on the way up. It has been in a bit of a free fall over the last few years but now with good young players coming through and other mid table teams becomeing more competitive the league is getting its luster back. The CL is the measuring stick alot of people go by so to truely get back to being recognized as a great league Serie A needs to do well in the CL. I think Juve will be be able to make that happen :)

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
The Kaka situation,The Zlatan situation etc.

Keeping everything in mind..from our ability to win,the credibility of the league where we win,even to our ability to attract major stars in the future.

Would you be happy?
YES! ABSOLUTELY!!

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Selling Kaka might be the best thing for Milan's future. They're old, slow, and don't seem to have any heart. Splashing the Kaka cash on some young, quality players and areas they need to be revamped might be for the best. Think about what happened when Juve sold Zidane. Very similar situation.

OP
HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #114
    What about you?Would you be happy if Chelsea,Manutd and Arsenal sold their best players to foreign leagues and ended up becoming weaker in the process?

Mar 10, 2009
    Selling Kaka might be the best thing for Milan's future. They're old, slow, and don't seem to have any heart. Splashing the Kaka cash on some young, quality players and areas they need to be revamped might be for the best. Think about what happened when Juve sold Zidane. Very similar situation.

back then italian teams still had a name and money to compete. No longer do world class players at their prime like to join italy. I feel that the end of italian top flight foorball is near. But hey at least we can say we were there when the stars where there ! Something our children will never witness

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    back then italian teams still had a name and money to compete. No longer do world class players at their prime like to join italy. I feel that the end of italian top flight foorball is near. But hey at least we can say we were there when the stars where there ! Something our children will never witness
    Thought's like that tend to be followed by binge drinking and suicide. That's some depressing. Who said you have to by stars in their prime? Why not be future stars and develop their game? It always seems to me that the top Serie A teams just want to do thing the easy way, buying talent.

Mar 10, 2009
    Thought's like that tend to be followed by binge drinking and suicide. That's some depressing. Who said you have to by stars in their prime? Why not be future stars and develop their game? It always seems to me that the top Serie A teams just want to do thing the easy way, buying talent.
    dude its over, this signals that every non italian will leave eventually, yes deigo will leave too, if he turns out to be to good. Notice how man utd kept hold of ronaldo even when he claimed he wanted to leave...

Who are we kidding ? In five years time our top team will be like lyon.

ps

I fucking hate zidane ! buming real when it was us that made him

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    dude its over, this signals that every non italian will leave eventually, yes deigo will leave too, if he turns out to be to good. Notice how man utd kept hold of ronaldo even when he claimed he wanted to leave...

Who are we kidding ? In five years time our top team will be like lyon.

ps

I fucking hate zidane ! buming real when it was us that made him
    Yeah but didn't his sale end up getting you Buffon and Nedved?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)