World Cup Formations Thread (3 Viewers)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Jeeks said:
I think Van Persie is better than Kuijt.
Well yeah but Kuyt is a hard worker, which for some off reason a lot of people in the North of the country (damn calivinists) seem to appreciate. I don't want to watch some boring dude run across the pitch, I want to see nice football. I'd take Van Persie over Kuyt any day (although I'll admit Van Persie is better on the left than on the right).

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
That ain't the issue, it's about probably line-ups. And going by how often Kuijt has been used and how valued he is by Van Basten, I'm pretty sure Kuijt will start.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Erik said:
Well yeah but Kuyt is a hard worker, which for some off reason a lot of people in the North of the country (damn calivinists) seem to appreciate. I don't want to watch some boring dude run across the pitch, I want to see nice football. I'd take Van Persie over Kuyt any day (although I'll admit Van Persie is better on the left than on the right).
And for this fact, you don't see Robben dropped for Van Persie to play on the left and Kuijt to play on the right. (by the way, why do you spell it Kuyt and Dominic spells it Kuijt?)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Good question, I have the same problem with my own last name so I did thorough research on it.

Official spelling is always with 'ij' (barring a few exceptions). Kuijt, Feijenoord, etc

However, for pronunciation issues, international spelling allows (doesn't oblige) using 'y' instead of 'ij'

So Kuyt, Feyenoord, etc

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Off topic: How would you pronounce my name in Dutch, Yack och Jack?

Since I moved to Sweden, I even started to present myself as Yack...

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
Andy said:
Nowotny at the back for Klinsmann?

I think he will opt for Mertersacker instead.
i dont know abt that position, cuz bringing in nowotony just mixed things up for me.

i mertesacker is in better form and has a good understand with the others ,but the defence needs some experience.. did klinsi bring nowotony just as another option or did he bring to him start ? thing will clear up after the japan game i guess

i would like to see merterasker with metzelder in the back

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Erik said:
You shouldn't care what others think. And don't mind the Belgians; they're jealous, angry and frustrated because they don't have a country.
No we're not. We're just not very fond of the Dutch arrogance when it comes to football. The 29th of June 2000 was one of the best days in my life because of that.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Jeeks said:
Off topic: How would you pronounce my name in Dutch, Yack och Jack?

Since I moved to Sweden, I even started to present myself as Yack...
bleh, I had that Swedish (and Norwegian alike) lack of imagination with respect to [well known] international names. It's why I practically changed my name to Martin, so idiots wouldn't have to scratch their heads at a mutant 'c' in my name. :lazy:

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
Seven said:
No we're not. We're just not very fond of the Dutch arrogance when it comes to football. The 29th of June 2000 was one of the best days in my life because of that.

and now the claws come out

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Martin said:
bleh, I had that Swedish (and Norwegian alike) lack of imagination with respect to [well known] international names. It's why I practically changed my name to Martin, so idiots wouldn't have to scratch their heads at a mutant 'c' in my name. :lazy:
Where was that 'c'?

My friend's parents came from Yugoslavia and had their children in Sweden. The one I am talking about is called Zdenko, so he had to change his name to Denko due to the same lack of imagination you talked about.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Erik said:
Van der Vaart and Heitinga are by far my favourite players. Sublime skills for the former and stylish defending for the latter... I like that.
Van Bronckhorst on the other hand :howler:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Jeeks said:
Where was that 'c'?

My friend's parents came from Yugoslavia and had their children in Sweden. The one I am talking about is called Zdenko, so he had to change his name to Denko due to the same lack of imagination you talked about.
Marcin. Since I started using Martin when I was 12 it's become almost more natural to me.

And yes I've seen plenty of those kinds of cases. :disagree:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Seven said:
The residents of the Randstad area do have that boasting attitude that appalls the other 8.5 million of the Dutch population. That part of the population has the same attitude you have, with the minor but not unimportant difference that they would refer to it as Randstad arrogance as opposed to Dutch arrogance. That's the superficial side of it.

The deeper motives behind said 'arrogance' are socio-cultural and historical and when examined can be closely linked to a very strange paradox between optimism and calvinist influences. Optimism not shared by the rest of the nation. I could go deeper into that, but I won't.

Finally, that same 'arrogance' is something you will encounter in Italy. If you can't tolerate or appreciate it, you might need to rethink that Erasmus plan.

Also, I'm baffled by how I keep running into that attitude when interacting with Belgians (the Flemish population, anyway). Why the hell would anyone care so much about another nation that it actively turns into hatred? Even the Dutch-German rivalry doesn't have nearly the same dimensions.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Erik said:
The residents of the Randstad area do have that boasting attitude that appalls the other 8.5 million of the Dutch population. That part of the population has the same attitude you have, with the minor but not unimportant difference that they would refer to it as Randstad arrogance as opposed to Dutch arrogance. That's the superficial side of it.

The deeper motives behind said 'arrogance' are socio-cultural and historical and when examined can be closely linked to a very strange paradox between optimism and calvinist influences. Optimism not shared by the rest of the nation. I could go deeper into that, but I won't.

Finally, that same 'arrogance' is something you will encounter in Italy. If you can't tolerate or appreciate it, you might need to rethink that Erasmus plan.

Also, I'm baffled by how I keep running into that attitude when interacting with Belgians (the Flemish population, anyway). Why the hell would anyone care so much about another nation that it actively turns into hatred? Even the Dutch-German rivalry doesn't have nearly the same dimensions.
Oh no, I'm actually very fond of Italian arrogance :D. To us, Flemish, "Randstad arrogance" is what I would call "Zlatan arrogance". Not only unjustified, but also very unstylish and even clumsy.

Of course there are deeper motives behind it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Besides this doesn't mean I can't like Dutch people. It's also not the fact that the Dutch nation would be proud if Holland were to win the WC, it's that annoying "party attitude" some Dutch have. Somehow painting the town orange is annoying to me while the Spanish, Italian and Brazilian can have whatever festa they want :D.

This attitude is even strengthened by your players if I might add, Kluivert, Seedorf, Davids (I actually do like him) and Van Nistelrooij haven't aided your case.

I wouldn't know if that part about active hatred is actually true. To me the 29th of June was sweet because it was an historical Italian victory, and yes, also because the Dutch were so confident to win. I would probably have had just as much fun had it been England or Germany though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)