Who is the greatest Italian player ever? (1 Viewer)

Greatest Italian Player Ever

• Roberto Baggio

• Franco Baresi

• Alessandro Del Piero

• Dino Zoff

• Paolo Maldinosaurus

• Fabio Cannavaro

• Giacinto Facchetti

• Giuseppe Bergomi

• Gaetano Scirea

• Gianluigi Buffon

• Giuseppe Meazza

• Luigi Riva

• Francesco Totti

• Alessandro Del Baggio

• Balotelli

Results are only viewable after voting.
Apr 12, 2004
:lol: @ Alen

I voted Scirea. Because he won every competition he ever played in, because he was a loyal and classy player, because he never took a single red card, but most importantly, because this guy revolutioned the way central defenders participated in the game.

Before him, central defenders were just markers and destroyers; if in possession, they'd just kick the ball as far as possible. Scirea was the first central defender to do something with the ball, often being the first passer in a build-up. Heck, he even scored 32 goals in his carreer, which was pretty sensational for a defender. IMO, Scirea did in Italy what Beckenbauer did in Germany.

I really wish I could've seen him play live...
Probably the best, most logical post in this thread. Plus, I don't think Scirea was EVER carded, yellow or red.
@ the mods: it's time to give DP the comfortable lead to squash everybody in the list, it's not looking good with Baggio ahead of him
Well, you can always leave the forums.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Again, you guys are stupid if you use this "I never saw him play" thing. It's just something to fall back on so you can vote for your favorite player. Baresi and Scirea were better than both Delpie or Baggio.
Why?

Unless you go purely by honours won, greatness is hard to judge without watching players for a reasonable period of time.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Again, you guys are stupid if you use this "I never saw him play" thing. It's just something to fall back on so you can vote for your favorite player. Baresi and Scirea were better than both Delpie or Baggio.
that doesnt make sense, how can you judge a player you havent watched?? And dont say its about "honors" and "what you won", because by that argument, G.Neville really is one of the best defenders that ever lived and Giggs is probably the best player at club level in the 90's.

Jan 7, 2004
My grandfather would say Giuseppe Meazza, my father will tell you Luigi Riva, i say Roberto Baggio and my son will say Sebastian Giovinco.

Now you see how pointless this thread is :D
My grandfather would say Paolo Maldini, my father will tell you Paolo Maldini, i say Paolo Maldini and my son will say Paolo Maldini:rolleyes:

well, one of them has a stadium with his name, so when they name the stadium maldini you might have a case turk

malducato1

Dec 26, 2005
As much as I love Del Piero, Baggio is the best Italian Player on that list. If the guy was born in Brazil Or Argentina he would be mentioned in the same breath as Pele or Maradona.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
This post doesn't make sense at all.

Anyone can vote for Scirea or any other player of his generation, but you can't argue and try to convince people who is better than who when you never saw the player playing live. I'm quite sure it's different thing judging a player from youtube link/ tv reportage from watching a player live.

I respect anyone who thinks Scirea is the greatest Italian player, thats their choice but one thing is certain is that you can't and shouldn't argue if he's better when he/she haven't seen one single game of the player not to mention if they remember how he looked at that time.

Now lets go have some Nesta juice.

Apr 12, 2004
Did they have cards back then?
Ummmm, yea. Do some reading.
As much as I love Del Piero, Baggio is the best Italian Player on that list. If the guy was born in Brazil Or Argentina he would be mentioned in the same breath as Pele or Maradona.
:shifty:

Don't know about that.

Anyone can vote for Scirea or any other player of his generation, but you can't argue and try to convince people who is better than who when you never saw the player playing live. I'm quite sure it's different thing judging a player from youtube link/ tv reportage from watching a player live.

I respect anyone who thinks Scirea is the greatest Italian player, thats their choice but one thing is certain is that you can't and shouldn't argue if he's better when he/she haven't seen one single game of the player not to mention if they remember how he looked at that time.

No, this doesn't make sense. As I said, I never saw Mueller play live, but IF the best one I'd ever seen was sayyyyyy KLOSE, I would, by your reckoning HAVE to vote for Klose.

It makes no sense and you guys are only using that to support your claim that DelPie is the best Italian player ever, when it is quite obvious he isn't.
maybe he was drunk when he posted it? :burke:
nah, I'm drunk now.

Sep 1, 2002
I saw Scriea play and he was that good if I had been striker I would have gone shopping insted of Playing against him. Yes he was yellow carded, but who gives a monkey's!

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
:lol: @ Alen

I voted Scirea. Because he won every competition he ever played in, because he was a loyal and classy player, because he never took a single red card, but most importantly, because this guy revolutioned the way central defenders participated in the game.

Before him, central defenders were just markers and destroyers; if in possession, they'd just kick the ball as far as possible. Scirea was the first central defender to do something with the ball, often being the first passer in a build-up. Heck, he even scored 32 goals in his carreer, which was pretty sensational for a defender. IMO, Scirea did in Italy what Beckenbauer did in Germany.

I really wish I could've seen him play live...
i think i love you

that is like the argument i had with that ascension guy who claimed that nesta and cannavaro were the greatest defenders ever to play the game,refused to acknowledge any past great because he "didn't see them play" so in his mind that meant that they could not have been that great.
loads of folk make the same mistake when they discount the record of Pele,who,like Beckenbauer and Scirea,were 20 years ahead of anyone else when they played

I saw Scriea play and he was that good if I had been striker I would have gone shopping insted of Playing against him. Yes he was yellow carded, but who gives a monkey's!
:tup:

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

Completely agreed.

Ummmm, yea. Do some reading.

:shifty:

Don't know about that.

No, this doesn't make sense. As I said, I never saw Mueller play live, but IF the best one I'd ever seen was sayyyyyy KLOSE, I would, by your reckoning HAVE to vote for Klose.

It makes no sense and you guys are only using that to support your claim that DelPie is the best Italian player ever, when it is quite obvious he isn't.

nah, I'm drunk now.
You cant really answer the question because you havent watched Mueller play. Videos and highlights are not enough to make a good enough judgement imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)