Who is the greatest Italian player ever? (9 Viewers)

Greatest Italian Player Ever

• Roberto Baggio

• Franco Baresi

• Alessandro Del Piero

• Dino Zoff

• Paolo Maldinosaurus

• Fabio Cannavaro

• Giacinto Facchetti

• Giuseppe Bergomi

• Gaetano Scirea

• Gianluigi Buffon

• Giuseppe Meazza

• Luigi Riva

• Francesco Totti

• Alessandro Del Baggio

• Balotelli

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
My personal top 3 and what they won, maldini is for sure the greatest of his generation but one man pips him to the title IMO that man is Scirea who won EVERY club tournament possible

Gaetano Scirea-Honours

* 1974-75, 76-77, 77-78, 80-81, 81-82, 83-84, 85-86 Serie A
* 1978-79, 82-83 Coppa Italia
* 1976-77 UEFA Cup
* 1983-84 Cup Winners Cup
* 1984-85 European Cup
* 1984 European Supercup
* 1985 Intercontinental Cup
* 1982 Fifa World Cup

Paolo Maldini-Honours
* 1987-88, 1991-92, 1992-93, 1993-94, 1995-96, 1998-99, 2003-04 Serie A
* 2003 Coppa Italia
* 1989, 1990, 1994, 2003, 2007 UEFA Champions League
* 1989, 1990, 1994, 2003, 2007 UEFA Super Cup
* 1989, 1990 Intercontinental Cup
* 2007 FIFA Club World Cup

Dino Zoff-Honors
* 1972-73,74-75,76-77.77-78,80-81,81-82 Serie A
* 1977 UEFA Cup
* 1979,93 Italian Cup
* 1968 European Championship
* 1982 FIFA World Cup

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #22
    With all due respect to Scirea,who is easily one of the best defenders the game ever saw,I think team honours,despite being high in value,are not a great determinant of how good a player is individually.

I know thats not what you were implying,but this just hit me.A lot of people end up using team honours to determine how great a player was,which is wrong IMO.

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    right so do you want this to be a "who was the most technically gifted Italian ever" or who was the greatest? club honours (and international) are the benchmark you really want to set,he won EVERYTHING apart from a european championship with Italy. when you win every european competition,the intercontinental cup and a world cup then i think it is safe to say that you were,indeed,a bit special

OP
    HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #25
    Ofcourse Scirea was special.As far as great defenders go,he is perhaps only second to Baresi.But i think when we use the term 'great'..it encompasses everything.From skill,to individual and team honors.Im not trying to demean Scirea here.I just think that measuring greatness along the lines of what you achieived with your team alone is not as important as how skillful you were or the honors you won individually.

Perhaps the timing of my post suggests that im on an Anti-Scirea rant,but thats not the case.Im just speaking generally.I have great respect for Scirea and what he achieved as a player.

Talking about Scirea alone for example.I think the fact that he was never suspended or sent off in his entire career speaks more about his greatness as a player than the fact that he won the world cup or the CL.

If we go by the team honors logic,then Tacchinardi won more than Emerson as a player.But Emerson was the better player.My point is that measuring greatness along the lines of team honors alone,is wrong.

Apr 12, 2004
    With all due respect to Scirea,who is easily one of the best defenders the game ever saw,I think team honours,despite being high in value,are not a great determinant of how good a player is individually.

I know thats not what you were implying,but this just hit me.A lot of people end up using team honours to determine how great a player was,which is wrong IMO.
    Well then how many individual honors were won by the players listed before this page? I'm sure they had Balon d'or back in 1935 when half of those bastards played. [/sarcasm]

PS - Love that song in your sig...

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    ok but if you put in personal honours it is very rare that a defender is given recognition for their work,Baggio won 2 serie A titles and a coppa Italia. on the european stage he won nothing,for me the only man who comes close to Scirea is Maldini(who just edges Baresi as Milans greatest) both these men have won just about everything going and have edged their names into folklore at their respective clubs.
    i know it is not a personal thing with Scirea but it pisses em off that so many fans overlook him for a man who,while being great,was not a winner. how many other men have won every single club competition?

OP
    HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #30
    Personal honors alone do not do the talking.You need to consider the skill of the man too..which ofcourse,will only be done by people who've seen him play.Like in Baggio's case..or far more importantly,in a defender or goalkeeper's case.

I dont think people overlook Scirea TBH.He's regarded as the greatest Juventus player ever,and one of the greatest defenders of all time.People who know the game's history will never overlook how great a player he was.But justifying his greatness by his team honours alone seems wrong to me.His greatness should be justified by his skill as a player more than anything else IMO..the way it should be with every other player.Sure,team honors hold a lot of value.But they alone do not make a great player,which i think you'd agree with.

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    Whoever did not choose Scirea or Baresi is an idiot. And anyone who chose Baggio or Delpie is not only an idiot, but a shortsighted glory-hunting idiot.
    Very few folk here will have seen Scirea play, and many folk will only have seen Baresi at the very end of his career.

I know they were great, but I can't say just how good they were.

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    Personal honors alone do not do the talking.You need to consider the skill of the man too..which ofcourse,will only be done by people who've seen him play.Like in Baggio's case..or far more importantly,in a defender or goalkeeper's case.

I dont think people overlook Scirea TBH.He's regarded as the greatest Juventus player ever,and one of the greatest defenders of all time.People who know the game's history will never overlook how great a player he was.But justifying his greatness by his team honours alone seems wrong to me.His greatness should be justified by his skill as a player more than anything else IMO..the way it should be with every other player.Sure,team honors hold a lot of value.But they alone do not make a great player,which i think you'd agree with.
    oh i agree that team honours are not simply the mark of greatness,but they unarguably point to a players standing in history. this,afterall is a results based sport!

baggio was fantastic, a player of immense skill but when you look back at history he was not that succesful

Mar 3, 2008
    Baggio is still ahead of Del Piero, Azzurri7 it's time you give your vote:D

As for Baresi and Scirea I've never seen them play except in WC94 where I saw a little of Baresi...so out of these most of us only saw Baggio, DP, Maldini, Buffon, and Cannavaro..

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006
    Very few folk here will have seen Scirea play, and many folk will only have seen Baresi at the very end of his career.

I know they were great, but I can't say just how good they were.
    :agree: can't really say much about them, saw only a bit of Baresi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)