Who is the greatest Italian player ever? (8 Viewers)

Greatest Italian Player Ever

• Roberto Baggio

• Franco Baresi

• Alessandro Del Piero

• Dino Zoff

• Paolo Maldinosaurus

• Fabio Cannavaro

• Giacinto Facchetti

• Giuseppe Bergomi

• Gaetano Scirea

• Gianluigi Buffon

• Giuseppe Meazza

• Luigi Riva

• Francesco Totti

• Alessandro Del Baggio

• Balotelli

Results are only viewable after voting.
Dec 10, 2006
I've choosen Baggio...He was a REAL star! And the best I've ever seen!
But I take it with a grain of salt... I think Paolo Maldinosaurus was a legend too!! A Real legend...! And I really like him!

Notice that you should choose the best...Not the one who is Juventino and you like... the question is this : Who is the greatest Italian player ever??
Don't vote from your fanaticism!

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
Del Piero is a great juve player but IMO he did not reach the level of baggio who won the golden ball with juve

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
i didnt watch 90% of those players, pointless to vote really, but from the players i watched, its Maldini hands down.

Gazzo

Jul 9, 2007
I havent had the pleasure of watching some on the poll play, but from what I can gather all these years - Scirea really was something else, so I vote for him.
I've watched most of them play thanks to a few old videos but it's hard to really compare players from an old yesteryear tape to today's players where there is so much more involvement in terms of media influences shaping the general thought.. Fuck the variables and based on performances and performances alone i've never seen someone rip it up as much as Baggio, even though I personally don't like him (attitude & so on)

Jul 9, 2008
it's hard to choose , it's easier to name the top 3 , then i'll say del piero , baggio , maldini !

among these legends , i'll go for Roberto Baggio !

i think the goalkeepers should be in a separate list , then i'll say Gigi is the best in the universe , the distance btw him and the second GK is just like the distance btw Earth and Ploto .. :spliff:

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
it's hard to choose , it's easier to name the top 3 , then i'll say del piero , baggio , maldini !

among these legends , i'll go for Roberto Baggio !

i think the goalkeepers should be in a separate list , then i'll say Gigi is the best in the universe , the distance btw him and the second GK is just like the distance btw Earth and Ploto .. :spliff:
as fantastic as Gigi is he still has a bit to go to match the legend that is Dino Zoff

Geof

May 14, 2004
:lol: @ Alen

I voted Scirea. Because he won every competition he ever played in, because he was a loyal and classy player, because he never took a single red card, but most importantly, because this guy revolutioned the way central defenders participated in the game.

Before him, central defenders were just markers and destroyers; if in possession, they'd just kick the ball as far as possible. Scirea was the first central defender to do something with the ball, often being the first passer in a build-up. Heck, he even scored 32 goals in his carreer, which was pretty sensational for a defender. IMO, Scirea did in Italy what Beckenbauer did in Germany.

I really wish I could've seen him play live...

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
I question wether Scirea was the first of his kind though. The Libero was a vital tactic of 'cattenaccio', which was already in use in the late 50'ies.

Geof

May 14, 2004
Yeah, but AFAIK the role of a libero in the Catenaccio was really to be the last tackler or pick up loose balls, and play long balls to launch counter attacks.

I think only few libero's could take the risk of anticipating passes and take the ball forward. Beckenbauer and Scirea are the earliest example that I know of, but there could be others, earlier.

Meath

Jan 14, 2007
Where's Ciro Ferrara?
Seriously, has to between Scirea and Baggio, hard to pick between a defender and forward. I picked Baggio, the man is 10 times better than Del Piero at his peak. I loke del piero, but he's not half the player Baggio was:bow: :bow: :bow:

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
Where's Ciro Ferrara?
Seriously, has to between Scirea and Baggio, hard to pick between a defender and forward. I picked Baggio, the man is 10 times better than Del Piero at his peak. I loke del piero, but he's not half the player Baggio was:bow: :bow: :bow:
:disagree: I won't go that faar.....

OP
HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #59
    I question wether Scirea was the first of his kind though. The Libero was a vital tactic of 'cattenaccio', which was already in use in the late 50'ies.
    The Scirea-Beckenbauer comparison is also a pretty interesting one.I didnt see either live,but from what ive read/heard..Beckenbauer was the greatest sweeper ever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)