Who is better - Henry or Del Piero (1 Viewer)

OP

dee dee

Apr 18, 2004
  • Thread Starter #181
    sally inzhaghi, in case you do not realise, I do not disagree with your opinions. Do not have a problem with your beliefs on which journalists to believe, that DP is still of value to Juve. I asked for opinions and got them. Did not expect one way traffic and if you did actually noticed, did not rebut your earlier posts. Things got pretty nasty bacause Denco started labelling me which was most uncalled for. My tone changed due to that.

I do aplogise for wishing that the DP first and Juve second fans get out of sight. That is intolerant of me alright. Still, I am waiting for the day to come whereby they MIGHT come to hate Juve for dumping DP. And I did not label you as such as you do not appear to be a DP ultra like some others on this thread.

As for you stating that my argument is weak, I meant to highlight to you that there are ways to judge if an augument is weak or invalid. Not that you care anyway i reckon.

As for that big issue of why the comparison which sparked all these mayhem, it was to ask if DP has regressed too far behind the best in the game today. And to reiterate, I definitely did not expect to get 100% agreement on that DP is worse. If I wanted to only hear the same opinion that i have, I would have gone to the Arsenal forums!

Buy on AliExpress.com

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by dee dee ] ++
    denco, i think u have overstepped the mark here.

for dp's infamous corner kicks, check out the first game he played in the 1998 WC, that being the second game Italy played. My point of comparing him to Henry obviously stings people like you who cannot accept that he is no longer in his prime although you do accept that there are others who are better than him currently. Quite obviously, you are also blind to the fact that DP is very inefficient in terms of ball possession, either losing them or making inconsequential passes. And do not come back with the point that he is always tightly marked. Van Nisterooy, Henry, Raul are also tightly shackled and do not lose the ball as frequently as he does. Defenders in Serie A also regard him as an easy defensive assignment, being a one-trick horse. Is that world class technique some of you are alluding to?

Secondly, you are downgrading the other 10 players that play with DP when he won the 5 scudettos. Wonder why journalists never rave about how DP carrying a team while they have said that when Platini, Zidane and Baggio played for Juve? Its in fact a well-known fact that he has always choked in the grand final and the WC stage - it is also known in the Serie A that he is weak in terms of confidence. That Dp scores 16 goals and Juve wins the scudetto is testimony of the fact that the team as a whole plays well! He alone did not tear defences apart single handedly! For the umpteen time, a player's championship medals does not reflect his PERSONAL greatness. As Graham had stated, that line of argument would make Phil Neville a better player than DP, something I think not!

FInally, you dont know anything about me. So do not make a fool of yourself in making deductions of me, that I am somebody else who have posted on this forum previously or that I have always hated DP. You do need to back up what you say and you cant in either case.

And I am different from you because I choose to believe that DP is no longer beneficial to Juve and that the club need to let him go in order to progress. Whether I am wrong, only time will tell.
    Wow back first of I didnt mean to offend but you do sound a lot like some who have come on here with diff nicks

To retort your points, first of all, I do not give a good goddamned if the greatest journalists says this or that as I find journalists annoying and in most cases , noidea what they are talking about.

They do not know more than the guys who go to watch matches and because they are paid to report matches, does that make them authorities? I only go by my eyes and what they tell me is what I use as arguments.

Raul has been utter crap this season, if the truth be told he has been poor for 3 seasons but he has done a lot for Real and more importantly, it seems you do not follow Real, otherwise you would not have mentioned him

Rvn is a goal scorer plain and simple and thou he is world class in my eyes , he is not a creator of goals and aside from scoring a hattrick against Scotland , he is yet to convince the Dutch that he is as good as the rest of the world thinks he is as he has not quite done it on the international stage

The corner kick you are refering to , I honestly do not recall it but it sticks vivdly in your memory so it must be true, pity you do not recall Henry playing a similar corner kick this season which made even Andy Gray chuckle

Dp might be a one trick pony, well Ronaldo, Figo and many others can be labelled such, does this mean they cannot play or are not world class, i wonder

You guys go on and on about how journalists rave about Baggio and Zidane, the same journalists who slated these guys when they were at Juve

In Zidane's case, it was that he played better for France or he only turned it on in the Cl and in Baggio's case was that like Dp was alwyas found wanting on the big occassions and you hardly saw him against the big teams but they have both gone now and all of a sudden , they are praised to the hilt
    At least Zz talents made his teams win something:D

Well Dp is in a no win situation and neither am i, if Juve wins something its because of others, if they lose its his fault for blocking the likes of sirmissa lot Dv and Miccolli who scored 8 goals for Perugia last term when Dp was not there to disturb his progress

No matter what I say its because I am a Dp fan , it has nothing to do with the fact most of the points being brought up to get rid of Dp are so weak its unreal.

We have only won the cl twice and he was part of 1 of them, Platini is the only other gr8 player who was part of the other, thou Zz won it with RM
    He has 5 scudettos and did reasonably well in all 5 in his 9 seasons at Juve

I was told he was no longer the symbol or leader by one of ppl like you who just like to diss him, that its now Nedved , then its Buffon, then its Zambrotta, so why are we not heaping blame on these guys, after all they played way more than he has this season but of cos its more fashioanble to heap the blame on Dp's doorsteps

I put in a thread that Dp has been the most disappointing Juve player this season and I am not one who would just support anyone blindly but sorry I refuse to let what someone else says sway my feeling about any player

While we are at it everyone is shouting about how gr8 Totti is and he hreally has been brilliant this season but he has sucked big time against Milan this season so maybe its not just Dp that has that in his makeup

Juve_Kosova

★ ★ ★
    May 4, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by dee dee ] ++
    The responses for DP and Henry are reasonsable mostly.

The one comment that DP is the greatest example of talent gone to waste struck home. DP is very talented, perhaps more talented than Henry. But, Henry has played to the best of his talent while DP has not save for the 97-98 season.

When we look back at the careers of the two when they are done with being soccer players, think DP supporters will be hard pressed to call DP a legend. Henry on the other hand will be among the best French players ever, mentioned in the same breath as Platini, Papin and Just Fontaine. DP, if you ask the Italian soccer establishment, will not be mentioned in the same class as Gigi Rivera, Roberto Baggio, Paolo Rossi, Franco Baresi, Paolo Madini, Christain Vieri etc. You agree?
    hmmm yepp!

survivor

Dec 29, 2002
    Why do some ppl here always accuse dp's fan of being blind.

I'm dp's fan and i'm so sure that my eyes can see things very clearly. Of course i realize that such players like Totti, Henri or even cassano are better than dp of this season. But it's so annoying that some ppl can't accept the fact that dp is one of the world best players judging from his talents and skills.

Yes, he might have more bad games than good games but there are many times that he amazed the audiences with such great skills and talents that an ordinary player can never ever do that. As far as i know, he's got a lot of fans around the world. Do u think what makes he win the hearts of his fans?? I can't think of any but his talents and his great skills. I'm among many who first saw his beautiful soccer and then became his fan. So, i can accept it when ppl criticize him for his poor performances but i can't accept it when ppl try to degrade him to a normal player.

Besides, i hate it when he's always unfairly treated by juve fans. When everyone in the team plays crap, 20% of blame are put on 10 players all together, 80% are on dp alone.

Sparty

Mar 17, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by survivor ] ++
    Besides, i hate it when he's always unfairly treated by juve fans. When everyone in the team plays crap, 20% of blame are put on 10 players all together, 80% are on dp alone.
    That is not true, but you must admit that when Ancelotti was coaching, Juventus was doing really well and Dp sucked ass! for two years in a row! Then when Lippi came DP started to play like in an average level and that made Juve win two scudetto's although one was a gift from Inter, but anyway the point is that we don't blame DP for Juve's performances we are only saying that another player would only make Juve much better. Cuz we care about the team Juventus, not the single player, and honestly I don't want a relic in my team that just live's form his glorious past, cuz i rather have then Maradona if we do that...

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Sparty ] ++
    That is not true, but you must admit that when Ancelotti was coaching, Juventus was doing really well and Dp sucked ass! for two years in a row! Then when Lippi came DP started to play like in an average level and that made Juve win two scudetto's
    That's only because a large chunk Del Piero's injured period was under Ancelotti's reign.

Aug 1, 2003
    it is true that DP is blamed if the team plays shite, and it is also true when he's just recovered and if the team is shite fans suddenly hope he'll come in the pitch. makes you wonder, no?

Sparty

Mar 17, 2004
    Look this will be endless...DP was a very promising youngster. He got injured and dunno wtf happened to him that lost confidence,speed ect. For me DP is a normal player nowdays and since Juve is a top team I want a top player. Any player in DP's position nowdays can do the same that he does or even better...

I understand that there are here fans of DP and that choosed Juve because of him, but unfortunately this is a JUVENTUS FORUM we cheer the team and not the single player. DP didn't make Juventus the team that it is, it was Juve that made DP.

So stop hoping on his comeback every single freakin year. I've been listening the same ol' story for too many years now. I think it will never get as he was in 98. Time to move the fuk on!

I don't care if his the captain of Juve for all I care I see more charismatic Antonio Conte than DP.

For the salary of DP (5,5 milion) we can have Ronaldinho for christ sake (4 milion) that is so much infinite better that Del Piedino...

Lets start gettin influetial players that can boost Juve and not hoping in miracles that will never happen...

Juve_Kosova

★ ★ ★
    May 4, 2004
    Look this will be endless...DP was a very promising youngster. He got injured and dunno wtf happened to him that lost confidence,speed ect. For me DP is a normal player nowdays and since Juve is a top team I want a top player. Any player in DP's position nowdays can do the same that he does or even better...

I understand that there are here fans of DP and that choosed Juve for him, but unfortunately this is a JUVENTUS FORUM we cheer the team and not the single player. DP didn't make Juventus the team that it is, it was Juve that made DP.

So stop hoping on his comeback every single freakin year, I've been listen the same ol story for too many years now. I think it will never get as he was in 98. Time to move the fuk on!

I don't care if his the captain of Juve for all I care I see more charismatic Antonio Conte than DP.

For the salary of DP (5,5 milion) we can have Ronaldinho for christ sake (4 milion) that is so much infinite better that Del Piedino...

Lets start gettin influetial players that cann boost Juve and not hoping in miracles that will never happen...
    in some way, i agree.!

Jan 7, 2004

I understand that there are here fans of DP and that choosed Juve because of him, but unfortunately this is a JUVENTUS FORUM we cheer the team and not the single player. DP didn't make Juventus the team that it is, it was Juve that made DP.

So stop hoping on his comeback every single freakin year. I've been listening the same ol' story for too many years now. I think it will never get as he was in 98. Time to move the fuk on!

Lets start gettin influetial players that can boost Juve and not hoping in miracles that will never happen...

sparty we know that. everybody knows that. who doesnt know that is not a juve fan. the probLem is that we stiLL need to accept that.

OP

dee dee

Apr 18, 2004
  • Thread Starter #197
    to all DP proponents, glad that this has resumed at a friendly level. The thread is really about DP's value to Juve as perceived by each and every one of us.

Agree with Sparty that DP is not playing to the level of his talent and sadly, whatever is left of it today. If DP had as much faith in himself as some of you have in him, he will be among the frontrunners for the European Footballer of the Year award year after year. Sadly, a large part of the world makes little of unfulfilled talent. Also, one is only as good as his last performance - there is no point in living on past glories when he is unlikely to be playing as well as he did in 97/98.

Juve is indeed a top club and deserves players who can contribute on a frequent basis and excite as well. In the latter, we do have Miccoli, a Zola in the making IMHO. We also need forwards who can either score frequently or connect with the rest of the team in setting up plays week in and week out. The salary that we are paying to DP is simply not getting us sufficient payback on the field (2 assists and 5 goals??) and is an obstacle to us securing new top class players or keeping those who have offered more value than DP on the field such as David Trez. We have lost Davids partly due to the salary issue. Who else have to be sacrificed to keep DP happy from a financial standpoint? Would you accept being paid less than 1/3 of your colleague's pay when you are doing more for your employer?

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
    With all due respect :

I think all resumes as a matter of perception and understantding of football.
    As is easy too see, your perception of Del Piero is that of a relatively talented player that is overvalued and overpaid, and have a place in the team that is not deserved anymore; as a matter of fact, your not the only one here, there is a noticeable group of people that have similar perceptions.

On the other hand, there is a much (by far) larger group of people that have a different perception of DP (including me). We perceive him as a very talented and creative player with a very fine personal style of playing football that contributes much to the quality in Juve. What we have done in the last ten years have his strong imprint, liked or not.

But there is still a third group (the most important) here perceiving DP, and that we need to take in consideration: Juventus F.C.
    what are the perception of the institution about DP ? What does moggi, bettega, agnelli,etc, think about him?

you know the answer....

Each 25 years or so, it appears a player character that blends perfectly with the institution and permeates in to the point of become a part of it. First, was Giampiero Bonperti....later, was roberto bettega....Now is DP

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    I certainly think he's still valuable to the team. In fact our success seems to coincide with his presence/absence on the pitch a lot. This season he's been out injured for a long time and we have fallen from grace. But last season was an excellent one, and DP scored 16 times in Serie A (yes, more than Adriano).

So in keeping with the now, this season has been poor for him but judging by last season he's far from finished.

slack

Dec 13, 2002
    He's gonna set Euro2004 alight, you doubting Thomases! Once the media gets off his back and onto Totti's and Henry's, we'll see. Btw, I see no apparent conflict between the existence, identity and excellence of Juventus as a footballing club and ADP inside it. The reason why we're discussing this for the umpteenth time appears to be cyclic ... we've basically run out of players to diss and sell after scrolling through practically the entire squad. Back to the whipping boys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)