Who is better - Henry or Del Piero (6 Viewers)

Apr 26, 2004
It's difficult to compare the two players. Their 's position are not the same . By now , Herry is better than DP. Because Herry has
most excellent situation . However I remain the DP's fans. I constantly support him!

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by dee dee ] ++
Lets vote on this with our heads. Henry is better in finishing, creativity, free kicks, pace, technique, less injury prone, fitness and far far better in the big games. You agree?
I am very very curious what is the point of this thread. Why would you name a thread who is better if you think one is better in every department? I have read most of what you put on here and you are right about some things but wrong on others. You are not objective at all in your comparisms and when you say Henry has a better technique then you have completely lost me there on that on

But most importantly you guys who come on here and compare Dp with every player in the world , as there is a clown who is asking whether Dp is better than davids, is it because you think you would only get a response by talking about Dp

You claim you are a Juve supporter and SerieA is your fave league and also that you and your friends feel Juve would be better off with Dp

Are you suggesting we replace him with Henry? Is that the reason for this thread?

You claim he only scores against Lecce, Ancona and Siena , well you might be right but unfortunately he was not available to meet Leeds United, Leicester city, Manchester city, Tottenham or those other huge teams with marvellous defences

Henry is far better in big games? Yes of cos he is , thats why in Arsenal's big game of the season, he was invisible claiming he had a bad back and hamstring probs but lo and behold was able to score a hattrick 2 days later

He was so fantastic against Galatasarray in Arsenal's only European cup final during his stint there

How many cup finals in England has he scored in? Played 3 scored 0

In the wc2002 without Zz, he so inspired France to be knocked out in the first round without scoring a goal

Yeah fantastic big game player

He is a fabulous player and deserves all his accolades but is there any reason to compare him to Dp when we all know Dp is having such a bad time of it

Or are you just one of those ones who feels the only way to get attention is to go to a Juve forum and bring up Dp's name

Bet you probably have gone to Roma forum and asked if Ronaldo is better than Totti and claimed you are a Roma fan as well

Now just to clarify something, this season Dp did not play against Milan at all, played against Inter 1 and a !/2 times and scored 1, played once against Lazio and 5 mins against Roma in 2 matches

Last season which he was meant to be crap according to some, he met Roma twice and scored 3, met Lazio 2ce and didnt score, met Inter once and scored 1 and met Milan 11/2 times and didnt score but provided both assists at home

But of cos that does not matter, its conveniently ignored by you

wong ka yan

Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Rainforest Liu ] ++
It's difficult to compare the two players. Their 's position are not the same . By now , Herry is better than DP. Because Herry has
most excellent situation . However I remain the DP's fans. I constantly support him!
i totally agree~!;)

MCPIERO

Jul 23, 2002
Denco youre on point bruvs:cool: I dislike these fools that come up with these threads to make DP look shit when the mans not even playing? Cowardly. Kick the man when hes down.

To me Alessandro Del Piero is the best ever. Success lies in struggle thats the point your missing out. Every great player has bad and good times. My god how many times has DP been down ever since 98 injury after injury but he comes back with the strength of a lion.

Henry-Worldclass. Now name me one or more if can find them worldclass defenders in EPL. And John Terry, Campbell, Rio etc count as good. Im talking about Nesta quality.

He came on vs Lecce created a goal because his set plays are fire and thats not important is it, then he scored a two touch goal second nature for him. Alessandro may have lost his confidence but hes still the don and can create magic.

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
I am very very curious what is the point of this thread. Why would you name a thread who is better if you think one is better in every department
I brought this up too earlier... what is the point in the end?

people always tend to forget past seasons when their current team has a bad season..

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Lets vote on this with our heads. Henry is better in finishing, creativity, free kicks, pace, technique, less injury prone, fitness and far far better in the big games. You agree?
As far as I'm concerned this is an extremely pointless thread as denco quite flawlessly pointed out, and no, I don't agree. Henry is better when it comes to finishing, pace, fitness, and perhaps big games, but he's not that creative and his free kicks aren't that brilliant either. And when you talk about technique there are few players that are better than Del Piero, and Henry is not one of them imo.

OP

dee dee

Apr 18, 2004
  • Thread Starter #152
    good response by denco and others in favour of DP. Still, there are many who do not believe that he will improve nor is the great player that he used to be. Others have overtaken him and he is far from a big-time player, having disappointed so many during the CL finals and the 1998 WC. A truly great player will not fall on the ball nor kick a corner a good 10 yards behind the goal with the ball going behind the line from the moment he kicked it. This is based on many years of watching football avidly. DP used to be my favourite player but no longer due to too many disappointments.

Juve is an entirely different matter. Have been a Juve fan since 83 and will be till my last days. Far greater ones like Platini, Baggio and Zidane can come and go and I have still remained loyal. What more a mere DP? How many of the DP supporters on this thread are willing to say that they will be happy to see DP go if that can improve Juve?

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    good response by denco and others in favour of DP. Still, there are many who do not believe that he will improve nor is the great player that he used to be. Others have overtaken him and he is far from a big-time player, having disappointed so many during the CL finals and the 1998 WC.
    A truly great player will not fall on the ball nor kick a corner a good 10 yards behind the goal with the ball going behind the line from the moment he kicked it.
    What game are you talking about? The only Italian player, I remember playing such an awful corner kick in a wc tourney was Totti in 2002

Okay, you think others have overtaken him and he is no more what he used to be but I am still confused as to why you are comparing him to Henry , why not Dv or Miccolli or Cassano ,why Henry? If you think he is no where near the best player then why do u compare to him to a player , you obviously feel is the best player in the world?

Juve is an entirely different matter. Have been a Juve fan since 83 and will be till my last days. Far greater ones like Platini, Baggio and Zidane can come and go and I have still remained loyal. What more a mere DP? How many of the DP supporters on this thread are willing to say that they will be happy to see DP go if that can improve Juve? [/QUOTE
    ] You know what, you sound exactly like Zizou and some other people who always use the phrase, " I used to be a great Dp Fan but not anymore" or "we have gotten rid of far better players like Platini, ZZ and Baggio , why not Dp"
    You are probably all and the same person with different names all the time

Food for thought for you , everytime Dp scores 16 goals and over we have gone and won the league or when he has played well to a reasonable amount , we have won the league, every time he has played few amounts or has had a poor season we have not won the league or anything at all

Now back to those who says he has champs around him , thats why he has won so much

Vieri has won sweet Fa, the only thing he has is a league title and that was at Juve with Dp by his side

Baggio has won 2 league titles but as a bit part player in them, the only thing he did win was the uefa cup

Zidane , when at his best for Juve, won nothing under Ancellotti, the things he did win was when Dp was the best player at Juventus, fact not fiction

Nedved, won the league and Cup winners cup with Lazio in about 7 years

Now u compare that to Dp's 5scudettos and the rest u know about

If you think other supposedly greater players would do better by all means spout names for me and see if they would be able to play in front of players like Appiah, Tacchinardi Montero, Iuliano etc who cannot pass the ball for love or toffee

Sparty

Mar 17, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
    What game are you talking about? The only Italian player, I remember playing such an awful corner kick in a wc tourney was Totti in 2002

Okay, you think others have overtaken him and he is no more what he used to be but I am still confused as to why you are comparing him to Henry , why not Dv or Miccolli or Cassano ,why Henry? If you think he is no where near the best player then why do u compare to him to a player , you obviously feel is the best player in the world?

] You know what, you sound exactly like Zizou and some other people who always use the phrase, " I used to be a great Dp Fan but not anymore" or "we have gotten rid of far better players like Platini, ZZ and Baggio , why not Dp"
    You are probably all and the same person with different names all the time

Food for thought for you , everytime Dp scores 16 goals and over we have gone and won the league or when he has played well to a reasonable amount , we have won the league, every time he has played few amounts or has had a poor season we have not won the league or anything at all

Now back to those who says he has champs around him , thats why he has won so much

Vieri has won sweet Fa, the only thing he has is a league title and that was at Juve with Dp by his side

Baggio has won 2 league titles but as a bit part player in them, the only thing he did win was the uefa cup

Zidane , when at his best for Juve, won nothing under Ancellotti, the things he did win was when Dp was the best player at Juventus, fact not fiction

Nedved, won the league and Cup winners cup with Lazio in about 7 years

Now u compare that to Dp's 5scudettos and the rest u know about

If you think other supposedly greater players would do better by all means spout names for me and see if they would be able to play in front of players like Appiah, Tacchinardi Montero, Iuliano etc who cannot pass the ball for love or toffee
    Dude come on! DP is not the reason why Juventus has won past leagues neither is the reason when Juventus loses leagues or finals. Football is played by 11 players and not one.

Sparty

Mar 17, 2004
    Well I think my post is short, but powerful. I don't think there is need to explain it further.

DP's job is to score goals and give assist. It's normal that if he doesn't do well his job, Juve's attack will be average, just like is normal that if the defense like this year sucks, that Juve defense will be poor...so if DP had a defense like this year when he won the scudetto's surely he wouldnt have won shit, and the same thing can be applied if Dp wouldn't have been in top form when Juve won scudetto's. They would'nt have won shit either. In order to win the whole team needs to his job.

I would like to remind u that Juve lost 3 champions league final having DP, and the one won against Ajax, DP played pretty average, which backs up my theory.

Aug 1, 2003
    I don't really get what you mean Sparty. Well the last part I did, just that "winning-shit" thing :D

I don't know. Why I rate DP so highly is because, well, we all know he's pure class and talented. No one can ever deny this. But many support for him has died down throughout the years after his injury.. those who want him sold in Juve for Juve's sake I understand, but for me even if he's not good as he once was he STILL is good.

People tend to compare DP to what he was and now isn't, but people also tend to forget that the current Del Piero, though probably not as incredible, is still one hell of a player and causes havoc to other teams. Del Piero has not fallen.

OP

dee dee

Apr 18, 2004
  • Thread Starter #158
    denco, i think u have overstepped the mark here.

for dp's infamous corner kicks, check out the first game he played in the 1998 WC, that being the second game Italy played. My point of comparing him to Henry obviously stings people like you who cannot accept that he is no longer in his prime although you do accept that there are others who are better than him currently. Quite obviously, you are also blind to the fact that DP is very inefficient in terms of ball possession, either losing them or making inconsequential passes. And do not come back with the point that he is always tightly marked. Van Nisterooy, Henry, Raul are also tightly shackled and do not lose the ball as frequently as he does. Defenders in Serie A also regard him as an easy defensive assignment, being a one-trick horse. Is that world class technique some of you are alluding to?

Secondly, you are downgrading the other 10 players that play with DP when he won the 5 scudettos. Wonder why journalists never rave about how DP carrying a team while they have said that when Platini, Zidane and Baggio played for Juve? Its in fact a well-known fact that he has always choked in the grand final and the WC stage - it is also known in the Serie A that he is weak in terms of confidence. That Dp scores 16 goals and Juve wins the scudetto is testimony of the fact that the team as a whole plays well! He alone did not tear defences apart single handedly! For the umpteen time, a player's championship medals does not reflect his PERSONAL greatness. As Graham had stated, that line of argument would make Phil Neville a better player than DP, something I think not!

FInally, you dont know anything about me. So do not make a fool of yourself in making deductions of me, that I am somebody else who have posted on this forum previously or that I have always hated DP. You do need to back up what you say and you cant in either case.

And I am different from you because I choose to believe that DP is no longer beneficial to Juve and that the club need to let him go in order to progress. Whether I am wrong, only time will tell.

Sparty

Mar 17, 2004
    denco, i think u have overstepped the mark here.

for dp's infamous corner kicks, check out the first game he played in the 1998 WC, that being the second game Italy played. My point of comparing him to Henry obviously stings people like you who cannot accept that he is no longer in his prime although you do accept that there are others who are better than him currently. Quite obviously, you are also blind to the fact that DP is very inefficient in terms of ball possession, either losing them or making inconsequential passes. And do not come back with the point that he is always tightly marked. Van Nisterooy, Henry, Raul are also tightly shackled and do not lose the ball as frequently as he does. Defenders in Serie A also regard him as an easy defensive assignment, being a one-trick horse. Is that world class technique some of you are alluding to?

Secondly, you are downgrading the other 10 players that play with DP when he won the 5 scudettos. Wonder why journalists never rave about how DP carrying a team while they have said that when Platini, Zidane and Baggio played for Juve? Its in fact a well-known fact that he has always choked in the grand final and the WC stage - it is also known in the Serie A that he is weak in terms of confidence. That Dp scores 16 goals and Juve wins the scudetto is testimony of the fact that the team as a whole plays well! He alone did not tear defences apart single handedly! For the umpteen time, a player's championship medals does not reflect his PERSONAL greatness. As Graham had stated, that line of argument would make Phil Neville a better player than DP, something I think not!

FInally, you dont know anything about me. So do not make a fool of yourself in making deductions of me, that I am somebody else who have posted on this forum previously or that I have always hated DP. You do need to back up what you say and you cant in either case.

And I am different from you because I choose to believe that DP is no longer beneficial to Juve and that the club need to let him go in order to progress. Whether I am wrong, only time will tell.
    Amen to all that! Couldn't have put it in better words! I TOTALLY AGREE DEE DEE, but unfortunatley u wont change anybody's mind cuz people like Denco who r DP lovers will aways cheer him no matter what. I think the DP subject has been discuss to infinity with the same results.

I only hope that this year Juve ,since they r a little bit in a financial trouble will sell DP and use the money to buy new talents...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)