Who is better - Henry or Del Piero (3 Viewers)

Aug 1, 2003
Bah. stop comparing Del Piero to what he was, what's important is look at how he is now - though not as great, but STILL great. He plays a role on the pitch for Juve like it or not, he provides the extra balls and extra plays and everything. He's a good player and valuable to Juve and that's that.

Speaking of Juve's salary I've voiced out my suggestion : If we're so tight on the finance why not ask for salary reduction?

Buy on AliExpress.com

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by dee dee ] ++
to all DP proponents, glad that this has resumed at a friendly level. The thread is really about DP's value to Juve as perceived by each and every one of us.

Agree with Sparty that DP is not playing to the level of his talent and sadly, whatever is left of it today. If DP had as much faith in himself as some of you have in him, he will be among the frontrunners for the European Footballer of the Year award year after year. Sadly, a large part of the world makes little of unfulfilled talent. Also, one is only as good as his last performance - there is no point in living on past glories when he is unlikely to be playing as well as he did in 97/98.

Juve is indeed a top club and deserves players who can contribute on a frequent basis and excite as well. In the latter, we do have Miccoli, a Zola in the making IMHO. We also need forwards who can either score frequently or connect with the rest of the team in setting up plays week in and week out. The salary that we are paying to DP is simply not getting us sufficient payback on the field (2 assists and 5 goals??) and is an obstacle to us securing new top class players or keeping those who have offered more value than DP on the field such as David Trez. We have lost Davids partly due to the salary issue. Who else have to be sacrificed to keep DP happy from a financial standpoint? Would you accept being paid less than 1/3 of your colleague's pay when you are doing more for your employer?
Miccolli is did you say a Zola in the making, a player who can score regularly and set up others as well unlike that overated overpaid captain? FYi its 8 goals and I am not sure how many assists in an injury wrecked season. I do not have the stats but I am pretty sure Miccolli has played as many minutes if not more than Dp this season but with less goals .

I am sick and totally irritated by anyone saying Miccolli and Dv paths are blocked by Dp and Trez when they have probably played more that their ersthwhile colleagues

Did they actually think they were going to be number 1 choices? And when they were given their opportunites did they grab it?

Yes Dp makes x amount of money but do you think its because of what he does on the field only?

The fans who buy our shirts and all that do so because of him and you would do well not to dismiss that

Do you think ppl from all around the world are so blind as to admire and like him if he was as washed up as you ppl say he is?

As Paul and others have mentioned so many times before, Dp probably costs the club close to nothing as he more or less pays his salary himself due to his popularity

First of all it was Mutu that was touted as a replacement, he has gone to a bigger club in Chelsea and what exactly has he done, gone about 17 games in the English game without scoring

I like Ronaldinho as well but would we appreciate him here, where we are full of very cynical ppl

We had the player who was recently voted the best ever to have come from Europe and what was he described as , yes he was described as only good for entertainment and was not useful and thats was from the owners of the club

I wonder how Ronaldinho will be perceived and its not like they didn't go out to Celtic in the Uefa cup with him in the side

Sparty went as far as to say Juve played well under Ancellotti, of all the nonsense I have been reading off here, that takes the biscuit, we were terrible under Ancelotti , our football was just pants with the likes of Panatinaikhos and Hamburg whooping our ass in Europe

We even had the indignity of going to Europe thru in the inter toto and still got whooped 4-0 by the mighty Celta Vigo

Now if coming second twice under Ancellotti is doing well then how can winning the scudetto twice under Lippi, reaching the Cl final once and now coming third be regarded as abject failure and getting rid of the captain and manager because they didnt win the scudetto 3 times in a row and win the Cl even if the captain was seriously hampered with injury

Even this season in which he has been poor in my view, he still managed to start our season on track by scoring the first 2 goals against Empoli, started our Cl season on track by scoring the first 2 goals against Galatasaray

His goal in Milan helped us to qualify for the coppia final against Inter.

32 goals in about 50 matches in 2 seasons in which helped us to win the scudetto twice and he is still getting stick because at 29 he is not at the peak of his powers

I am sorry nothing I have read at all against him makes me even blink

OP

dee dee

Apr 18, 2004
  • Thread Starter #206
    actually, i dont think people who think DP is of little value to Juve really care if the DP diehards like you would change their opinions of him. It doesnt change a thing as far as Juve fortunes go and we certainly dont give a cent's worth to changing your views or your views per se for that matter. Denco, nothing you say even registers as having an effect on me to change my view too. So its a two way traffic really. Its a forum and we are merely expressing our views. Most neutrals (non Juve fans and those outside of Italy) think DP is an average player for your information and I guess you dont care either.

Also, I have not left the blame for Juve's current downturn squarely at his door. He alone does not define Juve and definitely does not equal Juve.

David Trez is almost gone. All I can say is the belief that Juve fans like myself may have to suffer the next 3-5 years as far as success ont he field goes. The Juve brand is also being diminished - look at the players we are aiming to sign these days compared to those we were talking about 3 seasons ago. 10-15 million euros for David Trez is a joke as far exacting good value for your assets given the current precarious financial situation facing most Serie A clubs. And we do need to get good prices for the few marketable players we have if we are to be in a financial position to buy players who can indeed make a difference on the field.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
    actually, i dont think people who think DP is of little value to Juve really care if the DP diehards like you would change their opinions of him. It doesnt change a thing as far as Juve fortunes go and we certainly dont give a cent's worth to changing your views or your views per se for that matter. Denco, nothing you say even registers as having an effect on me to change my view too. So its a two way traffic really. Its a forum and we are merely expressing our views. Most neutrals (non Juve fans and those outside of Italy) think DP is an average player for your information and I guess you dont care either.
    Also, I have not left the blame for Juve's current downturn squarely at his door. He alone does not define Juve and definitely does not equal Juve.

David Trez is almost gone. All I can say is the belief that Juve fans like myself may have to suffer the next 3-5 years as far as success ont he field goes. The Juve brand is also being diminished - look at the players we are aiming to sign these days compared to those we were talking about 3 seasons ago. 10-15 million euros for David Trez is a joke as far exacting good value for your assets given the current precarious financial situation facing most Serie A clubs. And we do need to get good prices for the few marketable players we have if we are to be in a financial position to buy players who can indeed make a difference on the field.
    You should not state things like they are facts, when they are not.

NZjuvefan

Jun 2, 2004
    I enjoyed Del Piero's goal against Lecce, and I reckon he will be a huge player at Euro 04 but Henry has been the best player in the world this year and will probably win most awards at end of the year

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Ferrari^M ] ++
    Notice how Henry couldn't live up to the pressure though at Juve...
    Or maybe it's because he was played as a left winger, and Arsene Wenger completely turned around his career by telling Henry that he was a striker, even though Thierry himself kept insisting that he was a midfielder.

OP

dee dee

Apr 18, 2004
  • Thread Starter #217
    spit on DP? That will be rude.

As for the thoughts on he being over the hill? For now, right on! Cant believe that there are people who say that those who criticise DP for lacking in world class performances are not true Juve fans. Where did that kind of reasoning come from? Its like saying that DP cannot be criticised.

Btw, ran my poll with friends and guess what? DP is an ordinary player today according to them. He had the potential to be a world beater. Point of fact is that he was never a world beater THROUGHOUT his career consistently, only a couple of seasons.

Will also gladly eat my words when DP excels in Euro 2004. By the way, we have all been arguing about his (lack of or full of) achievements in the PAST. With Euro 2004 around the corner, why dont we try to come to a consensus what would constitute DP taking the world by storm at Euro 2004? Granted he has just recovered from one of the many bouts of injuries blighting what some of you would term as "God of a player's career", would he scoring 1 goal and 1 assist be enough to qualify his performance at Euro 2004 as OUT OF THE WORLD? Or should it be 5 goals and some assists, an achievement that is befitting of a player of his stature?

Lets stop arguing about the past and establish some benchmarks for the forthcoming Euro 2004. Then, we can say if he sucked at the competition. The best players have to succeed on the biggest stage. IF he cant at this Euro 2004, then he has missed the boat. My reckoning is he wont score 5 goals for sure. What about you guys and gals?

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
    spit on DP? That will be rude.

As for the thoughts on he being over the hill? For now, right on! Cant believe that there are people who say that those who criticise DP for lacking in world class performances are not true Juve fans. Where did that kind of reasoning come from? Its like saying that DP cannot be criticised.

Btw, ran my poll with friends and guess what? DP is an ordinary player today according to them. He had the potential to be a world beater. Point of fact is that he was never a world beater THROUGHOUT his career consistently, only a couple of seasons.

Will also gladly eat my words when DP excels in Euro 2004. By the way, we have all been arguing about his (lack of or full of) achievements in the PAST. With Euro 2004 around the corner, why dont we try to come to a consensus what would constitute DP taking the world by storm at Euro 2004? Granted he has just recovered from one of the many bouts of injuries blighting what some of you would term as "God of a player's career", would he scoring 1 goal and 1 assist be enough to qualify his performance at Euro 2004 as OUT OF THE WORLD? Or should it be 5 goals and some assists, an achievement that is befitting of a player of his stature?

Lets stop arguing about the past and establish some benchmarks for the forthcoming Euro 2004. Then, we can say if he sucked at the competition. The best players have to succeed on the biggest stage. IF he cant at this Euro 2004, then he has missed the boat. My reckoning is he wont score 5 goals for sure. What about you guys and gals?
    Dee dee, please dont keep making a fool of yourself, Del Piero will not play as forward in Trapatoni formation. Anyhow, doesnt matter how many goals he will made, but how he plays and and how is playing reflects or not in the italian performance......

OP

dee dee

Apr 18, 2004
  • Thread Starter #219
    You are the dumb snake. Do you ever know what is called results? Did your mama ever praised you for good test scores and spanked you silly when you messed up your studies? This is the real world and people in it are viewed according to the results they achieve. Are you a MORON or what? How did DP ever get to be rated as brilliant in 96-97? Coz he scored bags of goals! Twerp!

Also, he is a forward in this current Italian team, be it 4-3-1-2 or 4-3-3. He doesnt even consider himself as the creator, having called himself a forward. Are you calling DP a liar? You call yourslef a DP fan and defend him in an uteerly nonsensical way.

If he doesnt score any goal or just 1-2 goals, lets just see how the press, non-DP fans and the legions of DP fans react? Think many of his defenders on this forum have not said a thing about how many goals he needs to score to score at Euro 2004 to be considered the world-class player that they claim he is, coz they are NOT confident that he will deliver the results anymore.

Honestly, expected better responses than that. To date, yours is the most pathetic and show you as the most dumb thing I have come across in this forum.

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
    Dear Dee Dee :

Dont get mad. Is bad for your health:)

It would be endless and futile to keep arguing about the same, once again. You have clearly made your point, we all understand your "Del Piero obssesion" and really is no big deal, maybe you will overcome it one day...

In the other hand, what really amuses me is the way you try to sustain your arguing; sometimes your reduced to simple and pure crap like this:

" Think many of his defenders on this forum have not said a thing about how many goals he needs to score to at Euro 2004 to be considered the world-class player that they claim he is,"

But this forums are a great place. Everything goes. You are entitled to post crap if you wish. Be my guess........;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)