Who is better - Henry or Del Piero (9 Viewers)

OP

dee dee

Apr 18, 2004
  • Thread Starter #101
    a few things if I may

(1) Fine, Serie A is tough, but DP hasnt excelled still in spite of DP fans claiming how great a player he is. Marco Van Basten, Gabriel Batigol, Hernan Crespo, Christain Vieri (a supposedly inferior player) have, scoring more than 20 goals a season 3 or more times each. DP has managed that only once? Christain Vieri, Batigol and Van Basten btw were also often afflicted with injuries, serious ones at that. As for players who have gone onto other leagues, not all of them have scored bags of goals. Look at Hernan Crespo.
    (2) Soccer is not about defence only. Otherwise Juve would have beaten AC Milan in the CL final. All that talk about Serie A defence being the best has not won us any major trophies in recent years. AC Milan did not win it playing the mean Serie A defence. We should stop sticking to a game plan that has been exposed repeatedly in recent years. French, Brazilian and Spanish football establishments wouldnt give two hoots about our so-called famed defence as long as they are the ones bagging the trophies. I wouldnt too. Would you?
    (3) Why are we talking about team statistics when comparing two individual players? Del Piero happens to be playing for a more successful team and has therefore won more - Juventus always has 10 players besides DP on the pitch and one should not say that the glory is all DP's - he wouldnt and why should you? If you insist on talking about medals as being reflective of a player's merit, then I agree that Henry has 3 league titles compared to DP's 4-5. But, Henry has World Cup winners and Euro winners' medals while DP never had and probably will never have as a player, and these are competitions that are far more important than Serie A.

Buy on AliExpress.com

delpiero10

Apr 5, 2004
    To compare Del Piero's goal statistics against Van Basten, Batigol, Vieri and Crespo is very stupid off you. You should know that Del Piero isnt a goalgetter like them, he is a totally different player, he does much more than just scoring goals. Just watch him, he assists, he works on the flank, he even defends some times.

The defense hasnt given Italia any trophies you say!, well i still remember last year when Italy had 3 teams in the semis and 2 in the final.
    And when it comes to Crespo you should know that he has not played as much as you should expect/demand of a player like that, dont know why, but Ranieri probably thinks he does not fit in the team.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Eaglesnake_1 ] ++
    How many league championships had won henry?
    and how many DP ?
    To quote myself from a previous thread,
    ++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++
    Philip Neville has won 1 Youth FA Cup, 6 English Championships, 2 FA Cups, 3 Charity shields, 1 Intercontinental Cup and 1 Champions League.
    Does that make him a better player?

Maher

Juventuz addict
    Dec 16, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by delpiero10 ] ++

No surprise thats from your mouth, may i reccomend another team for you?
    I support Juve from 1993 ,dp was good from 95 - 98 period after that he is a ghost of his old form:( except if you are knew and dont know anything of this.

Len

Feb 13, 2004
    DP is a legend, and so is Henry! :)
    You simply can't compare them, as they also have respect for each other and are good friends...

Aug 1, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by dee dee ] ++
    maybe some among us just dont get it. DP has not lived up to his potential due to certain physical limitations (i.e. lack of pace, physical strength) and his lack of mental strengths (he tends to doubt himself unlike his fans who believe in him faithfully even though he has been much more of a letdown than a success).
    Well go injure Henry and see if he still has the STRENGTH (yes, strength) to contribute as much to Arsenal and if he can still has the major power of the team and if he can still keep his skills in tact.

I've said it and I will stand by it again - Del Piero is a pure talent, a pure gift from God. After his big injury and how some fans wonderfully disputes his talent, if you look into his current football it is still skillfully played and well crafted. Players like these are rare.

And lets not kid ourselves about the excellent defence of the Serie A clubs. Has anyone checked the number of goals they conceded this season in the Champions League and the UEFA Cup? Does that stand out vis a vis other countries? The answer is NO. We should stop making excuses such as Serie A is toughest and therefore DP's lack of success on the field should be excused. The best stand up to the toughest scrutiny. Italian soccer players are no exception and we as their fans need to believe in that in order for Serie A to regain its past glory. Stop living in the past period.
    For the love of god be SERIOUS! Just by goal statistics? Hell if you LOOK, or even GLANCE at statistics you'll know that Serie A is much, much, MUCHO tougher than the EPL. ESPECIALLY in terms of defence. I advice you watch more of Serie A before saying things like these.

One more thing - statistically, DP pales in comparison to Henry. Lets use facts rather than convictions. Henry has scored more goals and has had more assists. More importantly, he has had more successful seasons than DP has ever had. DP has at most 3 successful seasons and he is 29, meaning a failure rate of 60-70%, injuries or no injuries. You cannot excuse a Ferrari's engine faults even if it is POTENTIALLY the fastest car in the world. Once again, potential means ZILCH if you do not perform.
    Henry plays for Arsenal and that's bad enough, in a more free spaced league, against less tight teams in England and under less pressure because Arsenal will never be as prestigious as Juventus. Henry too isn't unfortunate enough to come as injury prone as Del Piero. Yes DP is injured for most of the season yada yada yada but if YOU look into statistics and see during THAT SHORT PERIOD OF TIME HE HAS and how he can change the course of Juve's play you'll eat your words.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
    would you guys stop it covering up Del Piero with his injury.. you will only succeed highlighting one of his worst weakness.. which is his injury proness..... which will only lead to his other weakness... failure to swiftly recover from injury....

in professional athlete world, injury proness is a quality... and Alessandro Del Piero totally sucks at that compare to Thierry Henry... being one of his fans for years, i am very embarrased when u guys used his weakness to cover his other weaknesses.... he was brilliant for us in those years but now he is somewhat mediacre... as a true fan, we must not live in the shadow of the past , but see things realistically even if it may hurt...

Thierry Henry is a better athlete hands down. This judgement came mostly of Del Piero's failure to keep himself fit all this time.

to quote Zlatan Balta, ' I criticise because I care... ;) '

Aug 27, 2003
    well the question was who is a better player..
    not who is a btter plyaer this season
    i mean yes we said if it wasnt for the injury del piero would be able..we said if..
    and we cant really like predict wat could have happned becuase we could never know
    yes henry is a better player this season but was he when he started out with juventus..
    i mean no one can stay as fit like they alwaays do
    after all we are all human and we do get tired..
    so del pieor is just having a bit of a hard time..
    cut him some slck! he has done so much in these 10 years nothing that henry coudl compare to

Dan

Back & Quack
    Mar 9, 2004
    Posted By Dee Dee

(1) Fine, Serie A is tough, but DP hasnt excelled still in spite of DP fans claiming how great a player he is. Marco Van Basten, Gabriel Batigol, Hernan Crespo, Christain Vieri (a supposedly inferior player) have, scoring more than 20 goals a season 3 or more times each. DP has managed that only once? Christain Vieri, Batigol and Van Basten btw were also often afflicted with injuries, serious ones at that. As for players who have gone onto other leagues, not all of them have scored bags of goals. Look at Hernan Crespo.
    (2) Soccer is not about defence only. Otherwise Juve would have beaten AC Milan in the CL final. All that talk about Serie A defence being the best has not won us any major trophies in recent years. AC Milan did not win it playing the mean Serie A defence. We should stop sticking to a game plan that has been exposed repeatedly in recent years. French, Brazilian and Spanish football establishments wouldnt give two hoots about our so-called famed defence as long as they are the ones bagging the trophies. I wouldnt too. Would you
    (3) Why are we talking about team statistics when comparing two individual players? Del Piero happens to be playing for a more successful team and has therefore won more - Juventus always has 10 players besides DP on the pitch and one should not say that the glory is all DP's - he wouldnt and why should you? If you insist on talking about medals as being reflective of a player's merit, then I agree that Henry has 3 league titles compared to DP's 4-5. But, Henry has World Cup winners and Euro winners' medals while DP never had and probably will never have as a player, and these are competitions that are far more important than Serie A.
    If you already thought and would argue that herny is better, why start the thread?:confused:

If you obviously keep bashing serie a and del piero and hail henry, why are you a juventus fan? I dont constantly critise my captain, nor the league i support. I actually happen to take pride in this great league, and not turn a blind eye to well known things, like serie a has the toughest defense.

Given, Del piero is off form, but when on it, he is better then henry.

OP

dee dee

Apr 18, 2004
  • Thread Starter #118
    I think there are two camps here. Most if not all of us are Juve fans. We are divided on a couple of issues though. There are those who believe that DP is still of value to Juve and there are those who believe that Juve can only improve if and when DP leaves. Personally, I belong to the second group of fans. It is always in the interest of Juve that I speak up in this forum - was happy when my fav player at that moment Baggio left the club as it was in the interest of the club. No single player shoudl define the interests of a club.

It is not my end goal to deride Serie A. I believe that Serie A has the players to be dominant in Europe, not least of all the Italian players we have. My favourite league FYI is still Serie A, still as it was since 1984-1985 season. People who were not even born at that time should know better than to comment on loyalties! My objective is to communicate what I believe is a single-faceted view of excellence in football - defence. Arrigo Sacchi has said so even though quite a number of us do have a strong dislike of him.

Perhaps, I am guilty of lacking in blind loyalty. What I do hope for is improvement for Serie A and Juve. That said, people who use the forum to heap abuse on others just because they do not agree lack good manners and should really know better.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by dee dee ] ++
    Perhaps, I am guilty of lacking in blind loyalty. What I do hope for is improvement for Serie A and Juve. That said, people who use the forum to heap abuse on others just because they do not agree lack good manners and should really know better.
    Actually dee dee, I call it being innocent of blind loyalty. Blind loyalty prevents one from thinking straight, cos they're too busy saying "Del Piero is Juve and Juve is Del Piero! We can't succeed without him". Juventus has seen plenty of quality players come and go, and we're still one of the most succesful teams in Europe.

OP

dee dee

Apr 18, 2004
  • Thread Starter #120
    Thanks Graham, glad to know that there are quite a number of people who do believe that DP does not help Juve's cause on the field too often. There have been mumours from people in Juve thinking that he is over-rated and not understanding why he has not been sold. Spot on with the "Del Piero is Juve and Juve is Dep Piero!" bit. Have a couple of frens who were Juve fans before Baggio came along, and who became Juve haters when Juve sold Baggio! Incredulous but true how they failed to draw the line between being a player fan and a club fan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)