Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Expected letter to his father :p

When I read Kafka I feel so blessed being able to read German

It's just something else to read a writer in his native language. Sometimes I regret not learning French. @Martin needs to upload more tutorials on youtube
I read Camus, Balzac, Maupassant, Rabelais, Hugo, Proust, Voltaire, Stendhal, Dumas, Montesquieu in French during my youth... and while it's lovely reading an author in his native tongue, unless you are quite fluent in that language a translator likely has done a far better job of it than you are doing in your head, not to mention footnotes and endnotes that explain colloquialisms and references you aren't likely to get. Seeing as my ability with French was never as great as it should have been, I feel that, having read translations of most of these works as an adult, I took a lot more from them. Poetry, of course, is a far different story, and translations are far the most part utterly pointless.

Now Russian is the language I really wish I could have learnt to the point of fluency. Reading Dostoevsky, Turgenev, Tolstoy, Bulgakov, Chekhov, Lermontov, Gogol, Artsybashev, Goncharov, Gorky, Zamyatin, Bunin, Pushkin, etc in their native language... :tuttosport:

- - - Updated - - -

No doubt about that. It's even more obvious when it comes to poetry. There are great translations, surely, but it can't really be compared.

I feel that luck when it comes to Selimovic, Kis, Pavic, Pekic, Andric, Kapor and Crnjanski. :D
I can't recall... have you read Pynchon yet? I know Gordo and I have both told you to... ;)

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I can't recall... have you read Pynchon yet? I know Gordo and I have both told you to... ;)
I haven't but truth be told, I even forgot we mentioned that name. :cry: I was too busy with other books. Now... lemme search. Apparently, we have a couple of his work translated here, which is fantastic. So we have:

V (sold out, I could try finding used one)
The crying of lot 49 (also sold out, could try to find used one)
Bleeding edge
Gravity's rainbow (this came out this month I think)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I haven't but truth be told, I even forgot we mentioned that name. :cry: I was too busy with other books. Now... lemme search. Apparently, we have a couple of his work translated here, which is fantastic. So we have:

V (sold out, I could try finding used one)
The crying of lot 49 (also sold out, could try to find used one)
Bleeding edge
Gravity's rainbow (this came out this month I think)
Read Gravity's Rainbow. Do it. Right now. :p

You seem fluent enough in English to read untranslated, no?

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Read Gravity's Rainbow. Do it. Right now. :p

You seem fluent enough in English to read untranslated, no?
TBH I never tried reading serious books in English. I think I enjoy reading it more in native tongue, plus I read it way faster. I'd need a dictionary probably, at least for some words.

:D pretty funny how you mentioned him right now. It's a fresh new book that's out (Gravity) but I fucking knew you'd say that one :lol2: it's freakin' huge... got like 920 pages. Not that I mind that. However, it costs like ~28e LOL and it's just a soft copy. It's on a discount cause of the book fair otherwise it's like 35e. Seems interesting, though.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
TBH I never tried reading serious books in English. I think I enjoy reading it more in native tongue, plus I read it way faster. I'd need a dictionary probably, at least for some words.

:D pretty funny how you mentioned him right now. It's a fresh new book that's out (Gravity) but I fucking knew you'd say that one :lol2: it's freakin' huge... got like 920 pages. Not that I mind that. However, it costs like ~28e LOL and it's just a soft copy. It's on a discount cause of the book fair otherwise it's like 35e. Seems interesting, though.
DO it... You won't regret it. I promise.

- - - Updated - - -

How long does it take to begin to make sense? :D I read a few pages and was like "wut?"
Hmmm. I'm not sure one could say it ever fully makes sense. As the novel progresses you understand more and more the gist of the narrative, the storyline. And dependent on what you have read, studied, and your familiarity with his references (history, mathematics, science, psychology, philosophy, etc), some will understand more of the context.

There's a ~450 page companion guide to the novel written by Steven Weisenburger that goes page by page (at times almost line by line) in explaining context and sources.

That being said, I don't really think it's needed to enjoy the book, as behind all the references and divergent pathways one can branch out on, there's a damn entertaining story going on, and Pynchon's writing is often very enjoyable...

Last edited:

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
I'm paranoid about having HIV cause I'm a fuckin asshole that cheated.

I stuck it in a girl for 10 seconds without a condom and then pulled out. 5 weeks later, I have joint pain.

Got the girl tested 2 weeks after the encounter. She was negative but I'm still paranoid af with window periods.
Well you know how the old saying goes

“If you ain’t living, then you’re dying”

@swag

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Great atmosphere boca played really well and would have made it with a little more luck, i got interviewed by argie tv and met some local and international celebrities. I had a little problem with one of the barrabravas coz i wanted to sit with la doce instead of the box seats, nothing major though but it could have turned ugly real quick.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Great atmosphere boca played really well and would have made it with a little more luck, i got interviewed by argie tv and met some local and international celebrities. I had a little problem with one of the barrabravas coz i wanted to sit with la doce instead of the box seats, nothing major though but it could have turned ugly real quick.
Seeing pictures and videos of you, you probably could've killed him anyway so we'll say he got off easy :p. Glad that you enjoyed it regardless of the result.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
:tup:

Crazy that River could have 3 Copa Libs in 5 years after being such chokers for so long.

I wish it was Juve that had sorted out the CL finals choking instead. :sad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1097)