AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Welcome to the club :D if it's any consolidation you seem like a legit smart dude, maybe you can try being more assertive, take more risks... Life is all about experiences after all, anyhoos I'm pretty sure it will get better soon, hang in there
I'm very risk averse by nature, so you're probably right. It's difficult to do that and put myself out there, nothing in this world is more difficult to me than that :sigh:.

There's just so much shit right now. 24 Years old with a shit job with no possible room for advancement, loans amounting to more than I make in a year. I'll probably be living with my parents until my very late 20s too, and that's being hopeful. And perhaps best of all, I could very easily see myself remaining a virgin until I die, so that's fun too :sergio:. And this isn't even touching upon what's going on in the world right now, though I don't have control over that. It just hits me all at once sometimes and really makes me depressed.

Thanks though bro :tup:

Buy on AliExpress.com

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I'm very risk averse by nature, so you're probably right. It's difficult to do that and put myself out there, nothing in this world is more difficult to me than that :sigh:.

There's just so much shit right now. 24 Years old with a shit job with no possible room for advancement, loans amounting to more than I make in a year. I'll probably be living with my parents until my very late 20s too, and that's being hopeful. And perhaps best of all, I could very easily see myself remaining a virgin until I die, so that's fun too :sergio:. And this isn't even touching upon what's going on in the world right now, though I don't have control over that. It just hits me all at once sometimes and really makes me depressed.

You are just maturing my man, but ya try to break out of your confort zone, you do have the streets smarts for it :tup:

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007

There's always hookers man!

Just kidding Bro, what do you enjoy doing? Focus on that, do that more, the rest will come. Like abel said, take some more risks, even if they are small ones.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000

There's just so much $#@! right now. 24 Years old with a $#@! job with no possible room for advancement, loans amounting to more than I make in a year. I'll probably be living with my parents until my very late 20s too, and that's being hopeful. And perhaps best of all, I could very easily see myself remaining a virgin until I die, so that's fun too :sergio:. And this isn't even touching upon what's going on in the world right now, though I don't have control over that. It just hits me all at once sometimes and really makes me depressed.

Hey, you sound a lot like me. I'm also very risk averse. Unfortunately, all the good things in life require taking risks. A lot of people will give you stupid advice like "just do it". That just sets you up for a lot of stress and anxiety. And avoidance behavior. And a fair bit of failure.

What you should do is try to come up with ways that you can challenge yourself to take a risk, but that is a small enough risk that it doesn't scare you too much. Only you can decide what a meaningful challenge is to you, based on your psychology.

But for me it's been things like: go to a tech meetup and try to talk to X number of strangers. Or go to an elevator pitch meetup and give a pitch in front of a small audience. In the past few months I've challenged myself a lot, mostly socially. And I've built a lot of confidence this way - I no longer feel wary about going to a meetup I've never been to before.

Hope that helps :)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I'm stuck in every aspect of my life and I don't know what to do about it anymore.
Nothing a little olive oil or butter can't help.

But seriously, what the rest of the folks here said about risks. Think of it this way: would you do anything differently in your life today if you knew you only had 10 years to live? How about 5 years?

Not that this works for everybody, but this is what changed a bit for me. I had a fairly comfortable life but going nowhere fast for a while in my 20s: ok job, no real girlfriend who wasn't a psycho. Part of that changed when I was diagnosed with Type I diabetes. While I knew it wasn't going to kill me in my 20s, it was a wake-up call that I wasn't going to be on this earth forever and I needed to take some good risks. Travelled the world. Got serious about better dating prospects. Quit my job and joined a start-up with an uncertain future to learn a lot along the way and change my career (almost entirely for the better).

The moral is that it helped me to have a reminder that life without many risks wasn't going anywhere for me. Ideally you can try to find ways to see it that way without acquiring an autoimmune disease in the process. ;)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

But seriously, what the rest of the folks here said about risks. Think of it this way: would you do anything differently in your life today if you knew you only had 10 years to live? How about 5 years?

Not that this works for everybody, but this is what changed a bit for me. I had a fairly comfortable life but going nowhere fast for a while in my 20s: ok job, no real girlfriend who wasn't a psycho. Part of that changed when I was diagnosed with Type I diabetes. While I knew it wasn't going to kill me in my 20s, it was a wake-up call that I wasn't going to be on this earth forever and I needed to take some good risks. Travelled the world. Got serious about better dating prospects. Quit my job and joined a start-up with an uncertain future to learn a lot along the way and change my career (almost entirely for the better).

The moral is that it helped me to have a reminder that life without many risks wasn't going anywhere for me. Ideally you can try to find ways to see it that way without acquiring an autoimmune disease in the process. ;)
So you recommend diabetes?

EDIT: damn, didn't read your last sentence. Well played.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000

What do you mean by that?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
So you recommend diabetes?

EDIT: damn, didn't read your last sentence. Well played.
:D

Don't recommend it. But it does give me a medically valid lifetime supply of hypodermic needles to make friends with all sorts of junkies. :heart:

What do you mean by that?
Well, this isn't true of everybody and what they're looking to get out of a companionship relationship. But for a lot of guys, being in your late teens and 20s, you literally are lead around a lot by your deck. That leads to some fun short-term choices, but for the long term that can become just a series of toxic people and toxic relationships too. Stuff you put up with because, well, she's kinda hot and the sex is good.

But as you get older, the sex is still great but the formula is a lot more complex than that. You start seeing that some of these toxic choices can just get in the way of establishing anything that can transcend that. For many guys in their 20s, you can't see this so easily. Your priorities are fixated on a few things that, ultimately over time, mean less and less in the big scheme of things.

For me, that meant changing some of my own patterns of whom I used to be attracted to and see myself with and looking beyond the usual lot that wasn't working out pretty much. I gave more emphasis to other qualities in others than just what a horn-dog 22-year-old male would typically fixate on. Ultimately, it completely improved my life a ton.

Now there are some guys where the ideal even into their 50s and 60s is going to mean banging a new 22-year-old hot chick every few years. For them, hey -- great. Live the dream, man. But if anybody values a relationship to last any and be meaningful, it's got to have qualities that make it worthwhile even when, say, that woman is in her late 30s and carrying the signs of multiple childbirths. (For the record, I don't have any kids, btw.) But guys in their 20s rarely ever think about things that way.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Well, this isn't true of everybody and what they're looking to get out of a companionship relationship. But for a lot of guys, being in your late teens and 20s, you literally are lead around a lot by your deck. That leads to some fun short-term choices, but for the long term that can become just a series of toxic people and toxic relationships too. Stuff you put up with because, well, she's kinda hot and the sex is good.

But as you get older, the sex is still great but the formula is a lot more complex than that. You start seeing that some of these toxic choices can just get in the way of establishing anything that can transcend that. For many guys in their 20s, you can't see this so easily. Your priorities are fixated on a few things that, ultimately over team, mean less and less in the big scheme of things.

For me, that meant changing some of my own patterns of whom I used to be attracted to and see myself with and looking beyond the usual lot that wasn't working out pretty much. I gave more emphasis to other qualities in others than just what a horn-dog 22-year-old male would typically fixate on. Ultimately, it completely improved my life a ton.
That was very coherent. You've had this speech in the holster for a while, haven't you? :D

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015

There's just so much $#@! right now. 24 Years old with a $#@! job with no possible room for advancement, loans amounting to more than I make in a year. I'll probably be living with my parents until my very late 20s too, and that's being hopeful. And perhaps best of all, I could very easily see myself remaining a virgin until I die, so that's fun too :sergio:. And this isn't even touching upon what's going on in the world right now, though I don't have control over that. It just hits me all at once sometimes and really makes me depressed.

just play video games and everything is good

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011

Take more risks like everyone else said. And do what you want to do, not what you think you should do. There are so many things out there for you to experience.

"If you don’t push through the fear, you’ll be extremely vulnerable and paranoid. Sure, you can back off and not approach, and then you’ll never get rejected. But then you’ll be alone, always a sad loser who never got laid.

Here’s the bottom line: everyone has an imaginary companion who’ll be with you your entire life. His name is Fear.

If you allow this companion to take control of your life, then he’ll put you in a straightjacket.

But Fear can also be your loyal companion. When you hop on the wild roller coaster of life, engaging in an infinite number of exhilarating undertakings, Fear will come along with you.

He won’t get in your way, but he’ll always be there as long as you’re doing new things. When you feel fear, it’s a sign that you’re doing something new and exciting."

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
Take more risks like everyone else said. And do what you want to do, not what you think you should do. There are so many things out there for you to experience.

"If you don’t push through the fear, you’ll be extremely vulnerable and paranoid. Sure, you can back off and not approach, and then you’ll never get rejected. But then you’ll be alone, always a sad loser who never got laid.

Here’s the bottom line: everyone has an imaginary companion who’ll be with you your entire life. His name is Fear.

If you allow this companion to take control of your life, then he’ll put you in a straightjacket.

But Fear can also be your loyal companion. When you hop on the wild roller coaster of life, engaging in an infinite number of exhilarating undertakings, Fear will come along with you.

He won’t get in your way, but he’ll always be there as long as you’re doing new things. When you feel fear, it’s a sign that you’re doing something new and exciting."
I'm surprised.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006

More risks = more roofies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 696)