Fred

Oct 2, 2003
And it works. My roommate has been slaving away since he 4th semester (bachelor degree!) until now, that's three years, just to get a shot at doing a phd. The amount of humiliation he has taken is impressive, but somehow he keeps locked in and powers through. The guy is going to reach much, much higer than me, as my mentality doesn't allow for any abuse.
Man fuck academia, you get fucked for three years by your phd supervisor, you spend countless hours reading books and research articles and then after you get your phd and find employment you get paid peanuts.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Man fuck academia, you get fucked for three years by your phd supervisor, you spend countless hours reading books and research articles and then after you get your phd and find employment you get paid peanuts.
Good point on that last part. Turns out that people with MS degrees typically get paid better than those with PhDs.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Good point on that last part. Turns out that people with MS degrees typically get paid better than those with PhDs.
I've always been pushed towards academia by my family, but fuck no man, toiling away for years for little return. No thanks.

The long holidays and job security are attractive to a lot of people though.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Job security? Really?

PhDs are almost shunned by some companies as being unable to relate to any real life. It is often a liability... a way of saying, "I didn't know how to leave school so I kept going" to some potential employers.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Yeah but he has an idea of doing original research on chinese marcantilism. Beats me why, but it seems really fulfilling to him.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Job security? Really?

PhDs are almost shunned by some companies as being unable to relate to any real life. It is often a liability... a way of saying, "I didn't know how to leave school so I kept going" to some potential employers.
I was referring to those who pursue careers in academia specifically. Aren't tenured faculty positions what most of them pursue?
Yeah but he has an idea of doing original research on chinese marcantilism. Beats me why, but it seems really fulfilling to him.
Yup, thats part of its appeal for some i guess. Being able to work on and research the fuck out of a topic of your interest.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Today I had some big sales. Too bad I'm not getting any bonuses on the first contract lol.
Kill it. You may not be cashing in now. But you're getting them lured into the sales flow. Only later will you threaten to cut it off if they don't up it on their end for you. :)

I was referring to those who pursue careers in academia specifically. Aren't tenured faculty positions what most of them pursue?
Some. But the openings are few and far between. Many are promised some utopia of tenured profs about to retire, and then that never happens. The result is many struggle to find relevant work and end up in banking, etc.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
What are you selling?
Technology. :D

We're basically selling TVs, phones, laptops/desktops and other following equipment related to it. But pretty expensive stuff since I'm literally at the best location in the city. So far I'm doing a pretty solid job with PCs and TVs. I'm still learning stuff but I'm pretty satisfied with the level of knowledge accumulated for these 20 days. And to a more positive note, ever since I found this job I get calls and whispers about a better job coming my way even without me asking. So I have 2 options lined up and waiting for potential opener which would lead to a much better job and something (my) field related.

Serbian prostitutes.
Only if the price is right :donedeal:

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Technology. :D

We're basically selling TVs, phones, laptops/desktops and other following equipment related to it. But pretty expensive stuff since I'm literally at the best location in the city. So far I'm doing a pretty solid job with PCs and TVs. I'm still learning stuff but I'm pretty satisfied with the level of knowledge accumulated for these 20 days. And to a more positive note, ever since I found this job I get calls and whispers about a better job coming my way even without me asking. So I have 2 options lined up and waiting for potential opener which would lead to a much better job and something (my) field related.

Only if the price is right :donedeal:
That networking potential. The hardest part is getting a foot in. With your skills you will be going places soon. :tup:

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
Not to mention the debt accumulated after years of student loans and zero income

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Varies dramitically between disciplines imo, as well as countries probably.

But concerning the "purely academic" ones (history for example), faculty positions are extremely rare. Most people have to work on a project-to-project basis, with each of them lasting anywhere from a few months to a couple of years, and with some time of unemployment in between more often than not.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention the debt accumulated after years of student loans and zero income
Not if you live in a communist state with zero tuition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 253)