WC2006 Qualifier: Italy - Slovenia (1 Viewer)

Srecka

Jan 22, 2004
++ [ originally posted by juventus2 ] ++
Ok, I don't care about your opinions becaouse you are clearly imune to arguments and you belive that England is almighty and all and Slovenia is worth shit.

We will meet in the WC 2006 and there we will beat England in the quarter-finals by a Acimovich goal. He will score with his hand the hand of god. :LOL:
:(

Buy on AliExpress.com

44BigBert

Aug 20, 2004
italy has no striker now.
Gila, he needs more time to develop.
esposito, forget about him.
di vaio, he's not bad, but hasn't proved anything in the national team level.

once dp, bobo, cassano and miccoli back to the squad, we will be fine.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
saying that Italy plays bad on friendlies nowadays is turning more and more into an excuse.... since Euro 2000 Italy have lost badly to small teams no only in qualifying matches, but also in tournaments... playing only one half of quality football in each of WC 02 and EURO 04... supporting italy nowadays doest feel very differnt than supporting Alessandro Del Piero... there is that annoying 'waiting for godot ' element in them... if only all the reputation italy has could dissapear so that they could play with the mentality of any other team, with clear understanding of their ability and no underestimating of any opponent,...right now every time they lose , they would consider it as somewhat as an unfortunate miracle, headbang thmselve and goes " yikes, how can that happen?..nahh..that could never happen again now could they...hahah .."....and they did happen again and again.. damn .:sigh:

Dr-Juve

Mar 11, 2004
Italy will qualify i am sure about it
but the q is ?
are they ready to win a title
i dont think so
so loosing points doesnt mean anything for azzuri as long as there best hope is to qualify just like slovenia

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++

Ok :)

Btw, who's the guy in your avatar. The face is familiar but I just can't put a name to it.

Sergej Barbarez, the captain of the Bosnian NT. He plays for Hamburger SV.

OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #92
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++

Sergej Barbarez, the captain of the Bosnian NT. He plays for Hamburger SV.
    Ah right, I know him. He isn't a bad striker.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #93
    ++ [ originally posted by JuveCampione ] ++
    how about Inzaghi and Montella for the next game??
    They aren't in the squad.

@baggio: I heard that Gila was pretty dangerous last night.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #94
    ++ [ originally posted by sehnsucht79 ] ++
    what a boring game brazil-venezuela was.

anyhow, totti was quiet today. Oh well. One game. It's not the end of the world.

ps - why didn't Lippi let Cassano play? Was he even listen in the squad?
    No, Cassano isn't in the squad. The attackers are Totti, Gilardino, Toni, Di Vaio and Esposito.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #95
    Slovenia 1-0 Italy
    Azzurri Ratings

Buffon: Partly responsible for the goal, even if the Azzurri defence criminally ignored the scorer too. It was a disappointing end to a match in which Buffon was a mere spectator. 5.5/10

Bonera: Was booked after a matter of minutes for a trademark rash challenge but did fine defensively. 6/10

Cannavaro: Played well throughout and made some tough tackles at the right time. Is clearly in good form. 6/10

Nesta: Looked uncomfortable at times on the wet surface. Not one of his best games for Italy by far. 5.5/10

Zambrotta: Consistently one of Italy’s best performers, Zambrotta put in 110 per cent yet again even if he lacked quality with his final ball. 6.5/10

De Rossi: Worked hard throughout to underline his box to box qualities but his midfield colleagues didn’t aid his evening. 6/10

Gattuso: Never stopped running during the entire match but failed to make a telling difference – even if that is for others to do in this side. 6/10

Esposito: Was a disaster on the left wing but his debut did improve after he was switched to the right. Had a great chance to score, possibly Italy’s best of the night, but hit the wrong side of the net. 5/10

Totti: More was expected from the Roman. He struggled to get into the game even if he did show his class on the few occasions that he found space. 5.5/10

Camoranesi: Infuriatingly inconsistent yet again. He skipped past players with ease at times but often made silly passes. 5.5/10

Gilardino: He failed to score yet again but this was by far his best game for the Azzurri. He moved well and created the odd chance but was often left too isolated up front. 6/10

Subs:
    Toni: Came on for Gilardino and instantly hit the bar from close range. May get a start on Wednesday against Belarus. 6/10

Fiore: Replaced Esposito but failed to really get into the match. 5.5/10

Di Vaio: Brought on for Camoranesi just seconds after Slovenia scored but created little on the left flank. No vote

Coach Lippi: Continuously changed the side’s shape throughout the game in search of answers that never arrived. He perhaps was expecting more from Totti but a second loss in four games is not a great start for the Coach. He may now be regretting the decision to leave Antonio Cassano out of the squad. 5/10

channel4.com

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #96
    Angry Lippi attacks critics
    Sunday 10 October, 2004

The honeymoon period is already over for Marcello Lippi and the Italy Coach admits he’s furious at losing to Slovenia and insults the press.

“I’m upset, disappointed, angry and annoyed,” he stated at the start of his post-match press conference, “because you cannot lose after a game like this. We made one mistake and paid the full price for it.”

The Azzurri seemed to have the better of the overall play and Gianluigi Buffon hardly had a real save to make, yet it was he who picked the ball out of the back of his net from Cesar’s late header.

“Slovenia only had two scoring opportunities and one of them was going to be an own goal by Gianluca Zambrotta,” continued the Coach. “In all honesty, this should have ended in a draw and even then we would have been ruing missed opportunities to win it.”

Lippi nonetheless insisted that this was not a disaster, even if Italy have now lost the leadership of Group 5 to Slovenia.

“This result would really become negative if the team wallowed in the defeat,” he warned. “We have to realise that this side is a work in progress and it’s possible to lose a game where your opponents have so few chances."

"Ironically, we lost because we were pushing forward trying to win. Besides, this is only the third match in the qualifying campaign and nothing is yet certain.”

The Italian press has immediately pounced on the overall performance, criticising the style of play under Lippi’s brief reign, but he defended the squad.

“The only thing we didn’t do right was put the ball in the back of the net. Luca Toni hit the crossbar and Francesco Totti’s shots skimmed the woodwork.”

Much was expected from Totti in his first international appearance since the Euro 2004 ban, but he failed to deliver.

“Why do you always talk about Totti?” asked a clearly irritated Lippi when asked about the Roma man. “Totti had a good game and did what I asked him to, which was work as both a midfielder and a striker.”

Mauro Esposito was a risk, as the Cagliari forward was fielded from the start in his international debut.

“Esposito did well. At one point I switched the flanks between him and Mauro Camoranesi, then he started to tire towards the end.”

As always, the press zeroed in on the lack of verve shown by Italy’s well-paid players compared to their less exalted opponents.

“I can guarantee that our players were not less motivated than the Slovenians. These are all fairy tales the press wants to blow up for its own purposes. Besides, in football it’s not entirely unusual for minnows to beat a better team.”

channel4.com

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++

Ah right, I know him. He isn't a bad striker.
    Was Bundesliga's top scorer with Ebbe Sand 4 years ago IIRC.

He's a true captain in the NT tho, he plays wherever needed. Last night he played sweeper.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #98
    Yeah, he's a spirited performer no doubt, and the technical ability is there as well.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    I had said in the past that I was not sure Lippi was cut out for international management and I hope he proves me wrong .

But Lippi seems to love tove working with players with little or no personality and cannot seem to handle inflated egos but in international football and in the big tournaments you need huge quality not just quantity

Why is he giving out caps like confetti?

I was way too shocked to hear Toni was drafted into the international fold against Norway as I had no idea who played against Iceland, then you have Esposito and some extremely stupid loyalty to Camoranesi

Yes some players are injured but Euro2004 showed that Italy had a good base to go from, so why on earth are players like Pirlo and Cassano discarded?

I read Cassano is on poor form but so was Dp but he was called to the last squads and duly obliged with a goal.

And of cos once you criticise Lippi , he starts getting tetchy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)