WC2006 Qualifier: Italy - Slovenia (6 Viewers)

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++

That's another option. Oddo and Zambrotta could operate as attacking wing backs with Gattuso and De Rossi/Pirlo in the centre. Totti would be behind the two forwards so when defending it would be a 5-2-1-2, when attacking a 3-4-1-2.
Sounds good to me. The only reservations I'd have would be over the centre backs, obviously two of them pick themselves but with Ferrari completely out of form I'm struggling to be honest to think of another quality guy to come in.

You've also got to look up front and have to wonder who the main man is these days. Doubts have got to exist over whether Gila or Toni can consistently cut it at the op level and make international class target men as vieri did a coupla years back

Buy on AliExpress.com
Sep 14, 2003
Congrats to Slovenia.........

Right now it's hard to be an Italy fan, not just because of todays defeat - the NT is in decline, Euro 2004 confirmed it. Losing to Iceland, struggling to beat Norway and Moldova and now tonight.

Lippi has a tough job to win any tournament, there aren't enough decent players.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by juventus2 ] ++
We were better becaouse our spirit, and with that spirit we can beat everyone except Brasil. And we can beat England :LOL: on any day.
Spirit only gets you so far. Nobody ever won anything on spirit alone. I highly doubt you could beat us right now, either home or away we could quite comfortably beat your guys on our current form. Remember you didn't even beat scotland ;) and that is embarassing :D

why Brasil by the way, whats so brilliant about Brasil all of a sudden?

OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #64
    Slovenia 1 - 0 Italy
    Cesar 82 (S)

The Azzurri rattled the woodwork twice, but it was Slovenia who grabbed the goal as Marcello Lippi falls to his first competitive defeat. Italy had also lost 1-0 in their last trip to their neighbours, a 2002 friendly.

Marcello Lippi gave Cagliari wide man Mauro Esposito his international debut for this match, while it was Francesco Totti's first appearance under the new Coach after a ban and injury had ruled him out since his untimely Euro 2004 exit.

The Azzurri started out with the 4-2-3-1 system that had been used with varying degrees of success by Giovanni Trapattoni, with Alberto Gilardino keeping his centre-forward role as Christian Vieri and Alessandro Del Piero are injured, while Antonio Cassano was dropped due to his poor form.

Within the first three minutes Italy had thumped the woodwork when a Totti free kick came out to Gilardino and the Parma man clipped the outside edge of the upright from seven yards.

Daniele Bonera was booked after just six minutes for a tough tackle on Acimovic in midfield and will be suspended for the Belarus match. There was panic soon after when Gianluigi Buffon rushed off his line to gather a free kick floated into the box and didn't quite get a handle on it, so he had to clear the ball with his feet as it was outside the area.

Slovenian goalkeeper B Mavric reacted well to a deflection on Totti's free kick, but the Azzurri couldn't have gone closer than on 17 minutes when Gilardino's tap-in from a Mauro Camoranesi cross was fingertipped just past both the post and the desperate last gasp slide of Esposito.

However, there was chaos in the Italy area on 26 minutes when a Ceh corner kick was accidentally headed on to his own crossbar by Gianluca Zambrotta and Siljak was unable to turn in the loose ball with a bicycle-kick.

Camoranesi and Esposito switched wings and the Argentine-born winger found more room down the left, skipping past a challenge and firing just over the bar, even if he probably should have rolled it across to the unmarked Totti.

Esposito was brought down on the very edge of the box and Totti drilled the resulting free kick just past an unmarked Gilardino at the back post.

Camoranesi just failed to get on the end of Esposito's cross and moments later Gilardino was halted in a one on one situation with the goalkeeper for an extremely dubious offside decision that replays proved to be incorrect.

The Parma forward was troubling the Slovenian defence and rose to reach a Totti free kick only for Mavric to pluck his header out of the air. In the closing moments of the first half Esposito sprinted forward on the counter-attack, but M Mavric did well to cut him off.

Italy's first real chance of the second half saw Zambrotta cut back for Totti and his half-volley was bravely blocked by Mitrakovic inside his own penalty area.

There was also a scare for Buffon, as Acimovic cut a fine pass through for Siljak, who turned Fabio Cannavaro and blasted over the bar from a promising position.

On the hour mark Gilardino and Totti combined well for the Roma captain to drill a powerful effort just a little too high.

The rain was pouring down on Nova Gorica and it became increasingly difficult for the two sets of players to stay on their feet.

Esposito thought he had scored the opening goal on 68 minutes when he sprinted on to a Gilardino through ball, but the Cagliari debutante only shook the side-netting.

It was their last contribution to the game, as Esposito and Gilardino made way for Stefano Fiore and Luca Toni. Totti was moved up to a support striker role and a more traditional 4-4-2 system.

The two substitutes very nearly combined for a goal within moments of stepping on to the pitch. Fiore's floated cross was kept in play by Camoranesi and Toni's rising shot rattled the underside of the crossbar.

Totti was furious when he charged into the box and fell under a challenge from Mavric, but the referee correctly waved play on.

However, after all Italy's pressure and wasteful finishing, it was Slovenia who took the lead with eight minutes left on the clock. Ceh floated a free kick towards the back post where substitute defender Cesar was allowed a free header from six yards.

Marco Di Vaio was already set to replace Camoranesi, but his entrance became even more crucial after this goal. Italy poured forward with Totti firing just wide and Di Vaio closed down by Cesar as he prepared to pull the trigger.

Slovenia: B Mavric; Pokorn, M Mavric, Mitrakovic (Cesar 76), Karic (Dedic 70); Komac, Ceh (Lazic 87), Seslar; Acimovic; Siljak, Sukalo

Italy: Buffon, Bonera, Cannavaro, Nesta, Zambrotta; Gattuso, De Rossi; Camoranesi (Di Vaio 82), Totti, Esposito (Fiore 69); Gilardino (Toni 69)

Ref: De Bleeckere (Bel)

www.channel4.com

@juventus2: Believe me, all the spirit in the world would not save Slovenia from an on form Italy.

juventus2

Jul 6, 2004
    @ Paolo_montero

I don't want to fight with you but England isn't better then Italy, why couldn't we win, Yes, you would win probably but we would fight and we would most certanly not lose for more the a goal, our defence is solid and we can score from corners and free kicks. I would only fear Rooney he really is the best young attacker in the world atm.

About Brasil: Ronaldihno,Ronaldo,Kaka,Adriano,Emerson,Cafu,
    They are pure class, nobody can beat them atm. (maybe Argentina)

Edit: I give you that a 100 % Italy and England would beat a 100 % Slovenia. But Slovenia is 100% more often then England and Italy so becaouse of that we can beat you with good tactics and discipline.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #66
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++

Sounds good to me. The only reservations I'd have would be over the centre backs, obviously two of them pick themselves but with Ferrari completely out of form I'm struggling to be honest to think of another quality guy to come in.

You've also got to look up front and have to wonder who the main man is these days. Doubts have got to exist over whether Gila or Toni can consistently cut it at the op level and make international class target men as vieri did a coupla years back
    I think Lippi would probably use a right-sided defender who can play in the centre like Bonera or Zaccardo. Nesta would be dead central and Cannavaro the LCB.

Upfront I'd have Cassano/Del Piero and Gilardino/Toni.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #67

About Brasil: Ronaldihno,Ronaldo,Kaka,Adriano,Emerson,Cafu,
    They are pure class, nobody can beat them atm. (maybe Argentina)

Edit: I give you that a 100 % Italy and England would beat a 100 % Slovenia. But Slovenia is 100% more often then England and Italy so becaouse of that we can beat you with good tactics and discipline.
    You do realise that you didn't mention a single player who is defensively adept. Do you want me to tell you why you didn't? That's because Brazil don't have any. They are far from unbeatable imo.

PS. A 70% Italy would beat a 100% Slovenia, a 100% Italy would kill them.

juventus2

Jul 6, 2004

You do realise that you didn't mention a single player who is defensively adept. Do you want me to tell you why you didn't? That's because Brazil don't have any. They are far from unbeatable imo.

PS. A 70% Italy would beat a 100% Slovenia, a 100% Italy would kill them.

Ok, here are the defenders and the goalkepper:

Roberto Carlos
    Cafu
    Kleberson
    Maxwell
    Alex
    Dida

They aren't the best but they yre more then good enough if you look at the attack

-----------------------------

and about a 70 % Italy they were there tonight.. And we beat Italy twice in a row in 2002 a friendly 1-0 and tonight. So you really are overvaluing Italy and underasimating Slovenia

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    First of all friendlies are completely irrelevant. bigger nations clearly don't take them seriously. Secondly I think you significantly overvalue Brasil. Yes, on form they have some top players, but they can't defend to save their lives! Cafu is over the hill, Ronaldo is a shadow of his former self this season, Emerson has been ok but done nothing special. Argentina on the other hand have awesome players all over the pitch. I'd much sooner play Brasil than the argies

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Romano ] ++
    I wasn't asking about IBRAHIMOVIC !
    But about juventuz.com member Zlatan if HE was/is Bosnian...
    Yes I am.

Zlatan is Bosnian but I think he lives in Sweden.
    I'm a Bosnian living in Bosnia, who used to live in Sweden.

juventus2

Jul 6, 2004
    Ok, I don't care about your opinions becaouse you are clearly imune to arguments and you belive that England is almighty and all and Slovenia is worth shit.

We will meet in the WC 2006 and there we will beat England in the quarter-finals by a Acimovich goal. He will score with his hand the hand of god. :LOL:

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    You know what I don't know why I even bother having a debate with anyone on here when so many people react like that. Its quite depressing :frown:

juventus2

Jul 6, 2004
    @ Paolo_Montero

Look at your first post who was disrespecting who.

And BTW this is ym last post in this forum. I just wastem alot of time by going there and debating with people who aren't willing to listen to arguemnts.. And also i only here things like :" Ibrahimovic is good, Del piero is shit". that's all you talk about here.

peckface

approaching curve
    Oct 3, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Arif ] ++
    And what has this thread to do with Zlatan IBRAHIMOVIC?
    Didn't you notice the forza italia at the end?!?!?! :angel:

Naaaaa just wanted to clarify. Ive seen alot of posts who claims Bosnia should have him. Sorry if if it bothered you my friend!

ontopic: I followed the game on uefa.com. Couldn't believe it at first. :confused:

Amr

Dec 25, 2003
    c'mon Tom,, if brazil/argentina played vs italy italy will lose unleast 3-0 with thier current poor form man ..

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #77
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++

I'm a Bosnian living in Bosnia, who used to live in Sweden.
    Ok :)

Btw, who's the guy in your avatar. The face is familiar but I just can't put a name to it.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #78

Ok, here are the defenders and the goalkepper:

Roberto Carlos
    Cafu
    Kleberson
    Maxwell
    Alex
    Dida

They aren't the best but they yre more then good enough if you look at the attack

-----------------------------

and about a 70 % Italy they were there tonight.. And we beat Italy twice in a row in 2002 a friendly 1-0 and tonight. So you really are overvaluing Italy and underasimating Slovenia
    Dida is a quality keeper, but Carlos, Cafu and Maxwell are shite when it comes to defending, and Kleberson is a midfielder. Lucio and Alex? They're way overrated imo. All in all Brazil's defence is shite.

Italy don't give a fvck about friendlies and they never do well in them. They are used for testing out systems and players so results in these games don't tell you a whole lot. About tonight, Slovenia faced an Italy side that were denied the services of the four attackers who have been best for them in recent years: Del Piero, Cassano, Vieri and Inzaghi. If the Azzurri have a full complement of players when Slovenia come to the peninsula they'll give them a good spanking.

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #79
    ++ [ originally posted by JuveTrueChamps ] ++
    I still think italy will qualify. This is just like the wales-italy match in the euro qualifiers. Italy will bounce back.
    Agreed. 2-1 in Wales, 4-0 at home. We'll beat Slovenia in Italy.

Aug 1, 2003
    what a boring game brazil-venezuela was.

anyhow, totti was quiet today. Oh well. One game. It's not the end of the world.

ps - why didn't Lippi let Cassano play? Was he even listen in the squad?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)