[WC] World Cup 2018 - General Talk Thread (72 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
So? Do you still think this is going to happen?

We played a pretty decent tournament. Sadly, the better team won.

Do I think it should happen? Yes. We came across one tactically astute team and failed to muster more than three half decent attempts at target, two of which were the product of Hazard's brilliance and one after a corner kick. I don't think Martinez has added anything substantial to our team. If anything, it's just that the players were more experienced now. I also can't help but feel that Nainggolan would have put some much needed aggression into our team last night (imagine the French pulling shit like this against Supermario or Licht, no way they'd take it the way we did).

Will it happen? Unfortunately the game against Brazil, in which the players performed very well but in which Martinez's changes were not too remarkable, will cloud our judgments.

Buy on AliExpress.com

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Do I think it should happen? Yes. We came across one tactically astute team and failed to muster more than three half decent attempts at target, two of which were the product of Hazard's brilliance and one after a corner kick. I don't think Martinez has added anything substantial to our team. If anything, it's just that the players were more experienced now. I also can't help but feel that Nainggolan would have put some much needed aggression into our team last night (imagine the French pulling shit like this against Supermario or Licht, no way they'd take it the way we did).

Will it happen? Unfortunately the game against Brazil, in which the players performed very well but in which Martinez's changes were not too remarkable, will cloud our judgments.
especially now that Spain got Enrique, i think he will stay. unless he gets a lucrative EPL offer

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009

So your earlier claims were wrong :D

Personally, I'm more than fine with him staying. Biggest impact he seems to have had is making sure there's an excellent team spirit, and that does go a long way. I think this is actually the first tournament where we didn't hear a single negative thing or rumour.

As for yesterday, it's true that we were disappointing.
But I can't help feeling as if France & Deschamps are vastly underrated. They know what they're doing and besides a few minutes in their first game, haven't really been in trouble once. That's as impressive as it's going to get.

In the end, there was only one team that "deserved" the win, and they got it.

First time I notice Mbappe being a cunt though.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
So your earlier claims were wrong :D

Personally, I'm more than fine with him staying. Biggest impact he seems to have had is making sure there's an excellent team spirit, and that does go a long way. I think this is actually the first tournament where we didn't hear a single negative thing or rumour.

As for yesterday, it's true that we were disappointing.
But I can't help feeling as if France & Deschamps are vastly underrated. They know what they're doing and besides a few minutes in their first game, haven't really been in trouble once. That's as impressive as it's going to get.

In the end, there was only one team that "deserved" the win, and they got it.

First time I notice Mbappe being a cunt though.

Oh no, Mbappe definitely lacks class. It's going to be a major issue for him during his career. I've noticed it before, but yesterday was pretty damn awful.

My claims were wrong, because I didn't realise how much Verhaeghe and Van Puyvelde were up their own asses. I feel there is something shady with the contract extension Martinez got right before the World Cup and I think it's weird that he didn't have to answer truthfully as to why he left Nainggolan at home. Another thing I was wrong about was the game against Brazil. Though I feel that we got very lucky during the second half, I did not expect our first half performance. But I'm not sure Martinez had much to do with it.

I think France are underrated too. But their football is a very risky choice to make. If Hazard scores early on or through luck we score the equaliser, they're kind of fucked. It's not easy for teams to get out of that negativity when they bury themselves so much in it. And with a team that has Griezmann-Mbappé up front, Kanté and Pogba in midfield and Varane at the back, you just have to wonder whether it is necessary to play soul destroying football.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003

You lost the match at Meunier. The rest was an attempt at a compensation strategy that didn't really work.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
You lost the match at Meunier. The rest was an attempt at a compensation strategy that didn't really work.
Yeah, that was a big part of it.

But it simply shows that Martinez is very limited as a manager imo.

Btw, about all my other ramblings in this thread. I realise it makes me come across as a sore loser. So be it. But my frustration with time wasting honestly goes way beyond France-Belgium. It is much deeper than that. I think the biggest problem is not even in professional football, but in amateur football. It's every fucking week that either my own team or the other team resort to these bullshit antics. It really takes the joy out of it and I think it could be solved.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Yeah, that was a big part of it.

But it simply shows that Martinez is very limited as a manager imo.

Btw, about all my other ramblings in this thread. I realise it makes me come across as a sore loser. So be it. But my frustration with time wasting honestly goes way beyond France-Belgium. It is much deeper than that. I think the biggest problem is not even in professional football, but in amateur football. It's every fucking week that either my own team or the other team resort to these bullshit antics. It really takes the joy out of it and I think it could be solved.
How I wish we were time-wasting in Madrid vs Real, ughhh, we were just too proud I guess and it cost us dearly that time.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
How I wish we were time-wasting in Madrid vs Real, ughhh, we were just too proud I guess and it cost us dearly that time.
Yeah, but I'd much rather be in the situation where it's just not an issue. Now we were called naive because we weren't acting like assholes. I don't think such a cynical approach is good for the sport in the long term.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
omg :rofl:

- - - Updated - - -

Hes a boss though. He doesnt give a $#@! but living in the moment and having fun, which is the way it should be. Had a good laugh at his swearing English opponents whenever he won a duel.
I think he has his teammate to thank for imo Vida has been better than him in the tournament.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
Well. That was a disappointment.

Should have put Croatia to the sword in the first half, 3-0 at HT wasn’t unreasonable given the way both teams were playing in the first 45.

But, congrats to the Croats, they kept plugging away, dug in, and eventually took control by pushing our 3-5-2 into a 5-3-2 and then exerted absolute control of midfield. Some tactical naievty from Southgate, but everything I've seen of him suggest he'll learn from this.

Proud of this team and of Southgate. They’ve united the nation and restored some optimism. And of the Spurs contingent too. Who'd have thought Trippier would have been one of the best players of the tournament!?

As one of the youngest teams in international football, and holders of the U17 and U20 World Cups, and with a number of good young players coming through the ranks – the future’s starting to look a little brighter for the Euros and Qatar 2022.

Onwards and upwards.

P.S. Good luck to Hugo Lloris and France. Let’s at least have the Spurs captain lift the WC!

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
:lol: :lol: and england hailed him as the their answer to Pirlo when the wilshere experiment failed :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

The general consensus in england has been nothing short of hilarious, calling the WC a total success and some even calling for southgate to be knighted, whilst the england team are invited to meet the PM on their return :lol:

The facts are this:

Grats on beating some pub teams, you kept 1 clean sheet in the entire tournament, scraped past Tunisia in the 90th minute, you were a penalty away from going out in the 2nd round to colombia and Croatia exposed you for what you were. england are a limited team with a limited manager, and yet people in england think southgate should get a knighthood :howler: 1 shot YES 1 SHOT on target against a team england fans were confident in beating in 120 mins! against nation who has a smaller population than the city of London! and yet they are hailed as heroes? fucking hell this is a whole new level of loser mentality, so cringe worthy they are once again the laughing stock of world football

Had england taken the belgian route they'd have been out of the quarters after probably struggling against Japan and wouldn't have looked as good, this tournament just masked over the same old cracks, a team that still can't kill off matches. Team's like Spain, Germany, Italy etc... will bounce back, and why? because they are proven powerhouses of international football... you took the easy route and still failed, you flattered to deceive, I fail to see in what way this was a massive achievement for england, quite pathetic really. cant wait for the Euros to watch them fall flat on their face again, hopefully to another smaller nation

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Well. That was a disappointment.

Should have put Croatia to the sword in the first half, 3-0 at HT wasn’t unreasonable given the way both teams were playing in the first 45.

But, congrats to the Croats, they kept plugging away, dug in, and eventually took control by pushing our 3-5-2 into a 5-3-2 and then exerted absolute control of midfield. Some tactical naievty from Southgate, but everything I've seen of him suggest he'll learn from this.

Proud of this team and of Southgate. They’ve united the nation and restored some optimism. And of the Spurs contingent too. Who'd have thought Trippier would have been one of the best players of the tournament!?

As one of the youngest teams in international football, and holders of the U17 and U20 World Cups, and with a number of good young players coming through the ranks – the future’s starting to look a little brighter for the Euros and Qatar 2022.

Onwards and upwards.

P.S. Good luck to Hugo Lloris and France. Let’s at least have the Spurs captain lift the WC!
Kane's double miss is what really cost you in the end. His pretty awful performances in the knockout phase hurt England as a whole.

The fact that Croatia, yet again it must be said, played so poorly makes me worry about their final. But they are clearly capable of playing on a much higher level.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

omg :rofl:

- - - Updated - - -

Hes a boss though. He doesnt give a $#@! but living in the moment and having fun, which is the way it should be. Had a good laugh at his swearing English opponents whenever he won a duel.
TBH he was always a laughing stock even in Croatia but truth be told, especially since this WC it needs to ease of since he indeed is a fucking monster of a defender. His blunders were always more in the spotlight than his solid performances(which were far more often) and his attitude/genesral demeanor added to the "it's fun to ridicule Lovren trend". But all in all if he were a little more composed he'd be recognized as one the best defenders as he's got everything, but it is what it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 72)