[WC] World Cup 2018 - General Talk Thread (11 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
c) France takes the lead via penalty. Croatia bounces back with 2 unexpected goals, a long distance screamer and a failed offside trap from France. Afterwards France hits back with 3 more goals - a wondergoal in the top corner, fast counterattacking goal with ball travelling the pitch in a matter of seconds and an individual brilliance goal. Croatia narrows their lead late with Modrič out of nowhere sending the perfect cross to Mario and they are missing one goal to make it a draw. Desperately attacking, croats fail to score the last goal. Despite being tremendously wrong, Seven still claims that France is sucking joy out of football and their time wasting at the end made the final not enjoyable for him.
We'll see after the game. But I don't think it's going to be anywhere near your scenario. I do think Croatia have a big chance of winning it if they make the same approach Portugal did in 2016.

I am also 100% sure much of the complaining after the final is going to come from you.

Buy on AliExpress.com

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
We'll see after the game. But I don't think it's going to be anywhere near your scenario. I do think Croatia have a big chance of winning it if they make the same approach Portugal did in 2016.
I just wanted to see if you actually watched France in this tournament or not, thanks for clarifying that

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I just wanted to see if you actually watched France in this tournament or not, thanks for clarifying that
France's game against Argentina was still low on entertainment value, because of the differences in quality of both teams. Through sheer luck Argentina managed to do something and finally got France to play football, but they are a really poor side. It's like saying we were spectacular against Bari or something.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
France's game against Argentina was still low on entertainment value, because of the differences in quality of both teams. Through sheer luck Argentina managed to do something and finally got France to play football, but they are a really poor side. It's like saying we were spectacular against Bari or something.
and thanks for clarifying that you'll keep bleeding on and on and on no matter what happens in the final :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
and thanks for clarifying that you'll keep bleeding on and on and on no matter what happens in the final :D
Like I said. There are only two scenarios for the final. Both of which will have not me, but many others complaining.

In the end though, no matter what any of us here might believe, football will move away from teams such as France and from time wasting tactics. It's only a matter of time.

It's the same thing when in 2002 everyone was saying that glaring refereeing mistakes are "part of the charm" or "part of the history of football". They're really not. They don't add anything to the game, in fact they take a hell of a lot away from it. Then too people said we'd never have goalline technology or video refereeing. But it's been obvious ever since that it would happen at some point.

It's also ironic that you point to France-Argentina of an example of an entertaining game, because it is obviously the opposite of what France want to do. So even you, who before said you were very much entertained by France's organisation and discipline, acknowledge that deep down you find France-Argentina much more appealing than France-Australia or France-Denmark. And of course you do. No one in their right minds would prefer the latter games. That's why you'll see steps being taken to get more games like France-Argentina and less games like France-Denmark.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Betting can make every game enjoyable
Das true. @Fr3sh

- - - Updated - - -

I'm predicting a 2-0 victory for France, but I truly hope Croatia wins it 2-1 in extra time, or it ends 1-1 and the Croats still win on penalties.

I'm just glad "it's not coming home" :rolleyes:
If Croatia score the first goal, then they'll have a good chance to win against France and their 3 man only attack. If France scores the first, it's probably game over though.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Like I said. There are only two scenarios for the final. Both of which will have not me, but many others complaining.

In the end though, no matter what any of us here might believe, football will move away from teams such as France and from time wasting tactics. It's only a matter of time.

It's the same thing when in 2002 everyone was saying that glaring refereeing mistakes are "part of the charm" or "part of the history of football". They're really not. They don't add anything to the game, in fact they take a hell of a lot away from it. Then too people said we'd never have goalline technology or video refereeing. But it's been obvious ever since that it would happen at some point.

It's also ironic that you point to France-Argentina of an example of an entertaining game, because it is obviously the opposite of what France want to do. So even you, who before said you were very much entertained by France's organisation and discipline, acknowledge that deep down you find France-Argentina much more appealing than France-Australia or France-Denmark. And of course you do. No one in their right minds would prefer the latter games. That's why you'll see steps being taken to get more games like France-Argentina and less games like France-Denmark.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
It's okay. I remember that you like to watch goals too. Apparently you've just been lying all this time.
France, the joy sucking team, vs Argentina, the Bari equivalent of national teams, was one of the greatest WC games I've seen, obviously, and trust me, it's not just me with this weird taste, even if it was low entertainment for you.

I enjoy many things in football, great stories, great goals and unexpected twists certainly among them.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
France, the joy sucking team, vs Argentina, the Bari equivalent of national teams, was one of the greatest WC games I've seen, obviously, and trust me, it's not just me with this weird taste, even if it was low entertainment for you.

I enjoy many things in football, great stories, great goals and unexpected twists certainly among them.
I'm genuinely confused here.

At this World Cup it was one of the better games. I also remember thinking that this was the game that finally meant change for France and they were now going to excel. The reason I didn't like it as a game had nothing to do with France (who were excellent) but with the onesidedness of the affair.

But France-Argentina was almost the complete opposite of what Deschamps wants his team to do. I don't understand how you can like both the way France play and then think of France-Argentina as entertaining.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I'm genuinely confused here.

At this World Cup it was one of the better games. I also remember thinking that this was the game that finally meant change for France and they were now going to excel. The reason I didn't like it as a game had nothing to do with France (who were excellent) but with the onesidedness of the affair.

But France-Argentina was almost the complete opposite of what Deschamps wants his team to do. I don't understand how you can like both the way France play and then think of France-Argentina as entertaining.

I'm sure DD is mostly concerned about his team winning, despite you thinking his sole purpose is to suck joy.

And, you may seem shocked by this, but I also enjoy both tea and coffee. Not sure you can handle this, sorry if this blows your mind, but sometimes I even mix in a bit of alcohol and I enjoy it too.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I'm sure DD is mostly concerned about his team winning, despite you thinking his sole purpose is to suck joy.

And, you may seem shocked by this, but I also enjoy both tea and coffee. Not sure you can handle this, sorry if this blows your mind, but sometimes I even mix in a bit of alcohol and I enjoy it too.
You like great goals and unexpected twists, but you also like goals from set pieces and games that are decided before they begin.

Gotcha. It has been nice talking to you. I feel like I really understand you now.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
You like great goals and unexpected twists, but you also like goals from set pieces and games that are decided before they begin.

Gotcha. It has been nice talking to you. I feel like I really understand you now.

never said I like those, you have to stop assuming things, you're obviously bad at it. but I do like a great many things in football, thats why I watch it, obviously. I'd never watch it if it got me all angry and menstruating, because a team I don't like won against a team I also don't like, playing the way I don't like, that's just masochism.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
never said I like those, you have to stop assuming things, you're obviously bad at it. but I do like a great many things in football, thats why I watch it, obviously. I'd never watch it if it got me all angry and menstruating, because a team I don't like won against a team I also don't like, playing the way I don't like, that's just masochism.

So you like great goals and unexpected twists, you don't like boring games, but you do like France beating Australia 2-1 with a penalty and an own goal, beating Peru 1-0, drawing 0-0 with Denmark (because it gets France through as group leader and Denmark as second), beating Uruguay 2-0 after a set piece goal and a catastrophic blunder of Uruguay's goalie and beating Belgium 1-0 with a goal from a corner kick.

I understand.

No internal inconsistencies there it seems :sergio:

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
So you like great goals and unexpected twists, you don't like boring games, but you do like France beating Australia 2-1 with a penalty and an own goal, beating Peru 1-0, drawing 0-0 with Denmark (because it gets France through as group leader and Denmark as second), beating Uruguay 2-0 after a set piece goal and a catastrophic blunder of Uruguay's goalie and beating Belgium 1-0 with a goal from a corner kick.

I understand.

No internal inconsistencies there it seems :sergio:
you can only beat whats in front of you, if Belgium or Peru can't bring them out of 2nd gear, why bother? and yeah, I enjoyed all of France-Australia, France-Peru, France-Uruguay, France-Belgium and France-Argentina,the roos put up a way better fight than Belgium. didn't catch France-Denmark, it was obvious that game was going to be terrible. I also enjoyed tons of other WC games. too bad it's been such a let-down for you.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
you can only beat whats in front of you, if Belgium or Peru can't bring them out of 2nd gear, why bother?
I don't think you understand how Deschamps views the game. This is his second gear. It's the only gear. I don't think it's how France should play (I think they should play the way they did against Argentina, which is be the Real Madrid of countries), but it is how Deschamps sees it.

It's why Portugal became European champions in 2016. France were marginally better that game, but after having refused to do so for the majority of the tournament, they lost the ability to play when they were handed possession. Imo they run the same risk against Croatia. Which is why, regardless of the outcome, I think Deschamps is a very poor coach.

There's just no possible viable reason why France aren't scoring goals left and right.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I don't think you understand how Deschamps views the game. This is his second gear. It's the only gear. I don't think it's how France should play (I think they should play the way they did against Argentina, which is be the Real Madrid of countries), but it is how Deschamps sees it.

It's why Portugal became European champions in 2016. France were marginally better that game, but after having refused to do so for the majority of the tournament, they lost the ability to play when they were handed possession. Imo they run the same risk against Croatia. Which is why, regardless of the outcome, I think Deschamps is a very poor coach.

There's just no possible viable reason why France aren't scoring goals left and right.
wait, so you're claiming Deschamps deliberately wants France to only be capable of one way to play because that's how he views the game? sorry, but I think you are the one who is lost in your hatred

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
wait, so you're claiming Deschamps deliberately wants France to only be capable of one way to play because that's how he views the game? sorry, but I think you are the one who is lost in your hatred
No, I think this is how Deschamps sees the game as a whole and he doesn't understand there is another way. He's similar to Mourino. If Deschamps joined us, he'd play in a similar way. If he joined United, he'd play that way too. I don't think there is much more to Deschamps as a coach. It's sort of like what French reporter Daniel Riolo had to say after the game: "La vie tout entière de Didier Deschamps a été une revanche. C’est un homme animé par la colère!".

My gripe with Deschamps is that I believe this makes France depend on luck (as is evidenced by the way their goals have come about).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)