[WC] World Cup 2018 - General Talk Thread (8 Viewers)

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Nailed it again.

I really liked his use of short, single-sentence paragraphs for simplistic emphasis. Really worked as a personal story.
Exactly :agree:

The funny part with Lukaku is that when you hear him speak you don't hear academic intelligence. He wouldn't have been smart enough schoolwise to get a university degree.

But even if he sounds childlike, he is full of wisdom. For instance he says a lot of pro athletes go bankrupt after their career. His idea to prevent this is so simple. He puts 90% of what he earns in the bank. It helps him learn how to live on a budget and don't overspend.

Another thing that really struck me when I saw an interview of his was that he says there really is only one thing you can control. You don't know how the fans will react. You don't know if the coach will like you. But you can control how much effort you put in. And that's why it has to be 100% all the time.

In the end it's all relative though, because Hazard is the polar opposite. Grew up in a financially secure family, with not a worry in the world. The first time I ever saw him stressed was right before the kick off against Brazil. But he has such an abundance of raw talent that it doesn't matter.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk
It was a heartfelt story, I'm happy he made it. It's so amazing that a kid his age chose to let the struggles motivate him like that. It goes wrong for many kids in a similar situation. The most interesting question in the whole world for me is what causes young children in very similar screwed up life conditions to take such different directions.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
The funny part with Lukaku is that when you hear him speak you don't hear academic intelligence. He wouldn't have been smart enough schoolwise to get a university degree.

But even if he sounds childlike, he is full of wisdom. For instance he says a lot of pro athletes go bankrupt after their career. His idea to prevent this is so simple. He puts 90% of what he earns in the bank. It helps him learn how to live on a budget and don't overspend.

Another thing that really struck me when I saw an interview of his was that he says there really is only one thing you can control. You don't know how the fans will react. You don't know if the coach will like you. But you can control how much effort you put in. And that's why it has to be 100% all the time.

In the end it's all relative though, because Hazard is the polar opposite. Grew up in a financially secure family, with not a worry in the world. The first time I ever saw him stressed was right before the kick off against Brazil. But he has such an abundance of raw talent that it doesn't matter.

Did you know Lukaku speaks fluent Portugese? gave an interview in Portugese after the Brazil game, turns out he learnt it from Bosingwa during his time at chelsea

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Good read about Lukaku, written by himself
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/romelu-lukaku-ive-got-some-things-to-say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very interesting and well written. Really happy for him. His running into free space has been incredible in the world cup, Henry doing a great job.
And this is why Portugal sometimes entertains me...

Neymar Lying on the Ground Becomes 'Face' of Fake Emergency Calls Ad in Portugal
https://sputniknews.com/worldcup-2018-archive/201807091066189412-neymar-fake-emergency-calls-ad/
Gold

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Very interesting and well written. Really happy for him. His running into free space has been incredible in the world cup, Henry doing a great job.
yeah impossible not to like the guy after reading that piece. He's having a great world cup. Absolute menace to any team that decides to play open football with Belgium, even though he's been sloppy in finishing.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
yeah impossible not to like the guy after reading that piece. He's having a great world cup. Absolute menace to any team that decides to play open football with Belgium, even though he's been sloppy in finishing.
:agree: he’s a cool guy and a good player. Props to him for having the drive to accomplish what he did.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
That is the magic of the World Cup. No matter what is going on in the world once every four years we can all get together and agree to hate and shame on Neymar for being an unbearable cunt. Humanity has a chance :dule:

I'm just glad Mexico didn't make it past the round of 16. Not cause I really dislike El Tri, even if they are our primal rivals it just isn't that intense of a rivalry from our side. Maybe more so on theirs. I can't stand Mexico succeeding because, previously ESPN and now, Fox Sports goes on and on with the Mexico love. Obviously, it is only to cater to the high Hispanic population watching footie in the US but its still been old for years.

Seriously. They chug more Mexican penis than the one Guatemalan girl in a (Trump brand) child internment camp.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
That is the magic of the World Cup. No matter what is going on in the world once every four years we can all get together and agree to hate and shame on Neymar for being an unbearable cunt. Humanity has a chance :dule:

I'm just glad Mexico didn't make it past the round of 16. Not cause I really dislike El Tri, even if they are our primal rivals it just isn't that intense of a rivalry from our side. Maybe more so on theirs. I can't stand Mexico succeeding because, previously ESPN and now, Fox Sports goes on and on with the Mexico love. Obviously, it is only to cater to the high Hispanic population watching footie in the US but its still been old for years.

Seriously. They chug more Mexican penis than the one Guatemalan girl in a (Trump brand) child internment camp.
If Drumpf wants to stop the U.S.'s leaky borders with invaders down south, he should start with footie coverage in America. The fawning and kowtowing to El Tri fans, in English, is unbearable.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
clubs with most players on the remaining teams in the world cup:

Tottenham - 9 @Dantes
Man City - 7
Man Utd - 7
Chelsea - 7
Liverpool - 4
Barcelona - 4
Monaco - 4
PSG - 4
Real - 3

looks like this is EPLs world cup finally

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007

Tottenham - 9 @Dantes
Man City - 7
Man Utd - 7
Chelsea - 7
Liverpool - 4
Barcelona - 4
Monaco - 4
PSG - 4
Real - 3

obviously, England doesn't have a single player playing in another league :D

Juventus has 3 just like Real, Matuidi, Pjaca and Mario

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
obviously, England doesn't have a single player playing in another league :D

Juventus has 3 just like Real, Matuidi, Pjaca and Mario
:tup:

the site i got this from didnt mention us and i forgot about Piazza

- - - Updated - - -

on another note, how fucking sad it is that Italy is not there, seeing how the "giants" fell one after another and looking at whos left. fucking Ventura!

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017

Tottenham - 9 @Dantes
Man City - 7
Man Utd - 7
Chelsea - 7
Liverpool - 4
Barcelona - 4
Monaco - 4
PSG - 4
Real - 3

Maybe next year is Arsenal's year @Fred. Given how many of their competitors' players aren't getting a preseason.

England - France final would be great as the captain lifting the cup will be one of our boys (Lloris or Kane). Wouldn't mind Belgium either as that'll be 8 in the final. Croatia would just be bad for me in so many ways.

on another note, how $#@!ing sad it is that Italy is not there, seeing how the "giants" fell one after another and looking at whos left. $#@!ing Ventura!
An Italy with Conte at the helm probably would have been competitive in this year's tournament.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
An Italy with Conte at the helm probably would have been competitive in this year's tournament.
yes, especially since the team is better now than it was in 2016 (some injured players back, some young ones emerged). i fancy their chances to go far in such a setup, if they avoided France early

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
If we win today, this will be an insane day for me as a football supporter.
Good luck for the game.

My guess is that you are not going to enjoy it and will be a complete nervous wreck until the final whistle goes. At which point, I hope you and Belgium get the chance to experience something new and amazing: GETTING TO A WORLD CUP FINAL!

This generation of your players deserves a shot at the big one.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Was cheering for Croatia but now that we have CR im afraid Modric would have a chance at Ballon d'Or so... Forza England? I dunno ))

- - - Updated - - -

If we win today, this will be an insane day for me as a football supporter.

Maybe Inter should get relegated too. Just because.

Goodluck bro

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)