[WC] World Cup 2014 - General Talk Thread (3 Viewers)

the Champs

• Argentina

• Germany

Results are only viewable after voting.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Juventino[RUS];4596810 said:
Who cares about final score? 0-4 or 0-1, there is no difference since you lost
you obviously never played sports if you say that, being soundly beatn demoralizes the shit out of you, and no competitor worth his salt would dare say that losing a tough fought 0-1 is the same as 0-4 and at home on top of that.

Mar 9, 2006
you obviously never played sports if you say that, being soundly beatn demoralizes the shit out of you, and no competitor worth his salt would dare say that losing a tough fought 0-1 is the same as 0-4 and at home on top of that.
Lol I'm playing football all my life, I don't see difference between being beaten 0-1 or 0-4 since you and your teammates gave it all on the field, after Ramos scored, bayern was forced to go all in because of stupid rule about away goals, only media cares about revenge and other shit cause they need to sale their newspapers and magazines, who remember that mourinho lost 0-5 in Barcelona in his first season with real? Nobody give a damn about it except pussies from Catalunia probably, or when we lost 0-3 0-3 to Milan few years ago? Lose is lose, of course is more painful to lose against your rivals, especially with huge score, but in the end of it only the place after 38 rounds does matter

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I was going to defend RUS by saying he was probably just talking about the result itself, but then I re-read his post and now I don't understand what he's even saying. But that isn't his fault.

Mar 9, 2006
I was going to defend RUS by saying he was probably just talking about the result itself, but then I re-read his post and now I don't understand what he's even saying. But that isn't his fault.
Yep, result itself doesn't matter - juventus lost to real 0-1 and to Bvb 1-3 do you really care about the final score? Of course not, 0-1 or 1-3 lose is lose
- - - Updated - - -

What a stupid fucking comment, RUS.

Of course scorelines count, ESPECIALLY in knockout games in cup competitions. You know about the aggregate and all?
Actually I said that I found away goals rule pretty stupid, because it's easy to get caught with it, absolutely any team can score from set pieces nowadays and ruin everything for you cause you will be forced to score 3 goals as it was in bayern situation from the last season
Or we can go deeply - Portugal earned the same number of points with USA, how come that in the world cups the first thing that makes difference in the situation like this is the goal difference, but what if you beat your opponent in h2h but lost with huge difference against other side because of referees mistakes or because your gk made many errors? You should go home? And you want to tell me that this is not stupid? H2h result is much important than goals difference, as for CL and EL - I'd rather see more penalty kicks series then psg stories - for 2 seasons in a row they eliminated from CL play off with 3-3 overall result and it's not fair just because fat old corrupt pensioners from uefa said so

Mar 9, 2006
Holy mother of jesus and mohammed christ :weee:
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/videos...-blatter-on-the-world-cup-so-far-2388178.html

Video replays are coming :weee: Finally ffs :weee:

- - - Updated - - -

indeed

- - - Updated - - -

And finally, despite Chile making the knockout rounds, I've found that they are absolutely useless in the final match of the group stage.
In 1950, Chile defeated the USA 5-2 in a meaningless final match where both teams were eliminated. It would be the final time they would win the final match of a group stage.
In 1962, as hosts, Chile just needed a draw vs. West Germany to win the group, but instead lost 2-0. They would win in the Quarterfinals vs. USSR, but lost in the semifinals to Brazil.
In 1966, Chile needed to defeat USSR to advance out of the group, but lost 2-1.
In 1974, Chile needed to defeat Australia to have a chance to advance out of the group but instead drew 0-0 (giving Australia their first ever World Cup point).
In 1982, Chile needed to defeat Algeria to have a chance to advance out of the group, but lost 3-2.
In 1998, Chile needed to defeat Cameroon to assure qualification out of the group, but they drew 1-1. Lucky for them, Italy beat Austria 2-1 (one more Austria goal would have meant drawing of the lots).
In 2010, Chile needed to at least draw Spain to assure qualification out of the group (and it would have won the group too), but they lost 2-1. Luckily, Honduras miraculously drew Switzerland 0-0. They ended up losing to Brazil in the Round of 16.
In 2014, Chile assured qualification by the second match, but a victory vs. the Netherlands would have won the group. Instead, they lost 2-0 and now face Brazil, the host nation, for the fourth time in the knockout rounds.

http://www.reddit.com/r/worldcup/comments/29ao0b/incredible_world_cup_futility_facts/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)