[WC] Italia vs USA [17-06-2006] (8 Viewers)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
What a dramatic game. An Italian goal against the run of play, a comical Zaccardo own goal, three red cards and two disallowed goals.

I knew that this would be a very tough game for Italy and the US came out fighting and definitely seemed to want it more in the early stages. Thankfully captain Canna was immense once more and Gilardino put the Azzurri in front with a nice headed goal. At this point I was thinking, ok cool, we're gonna settle down now, soak up some pressure and hit the desperate Americans on the break but who could've predicted what would happen in the coming minutes? Zaccardo had a decent game against Ghana but for a professional defender playing for one of the best defensive teams in the world to score an own goal like that is pathetic. Regardless of that incident, Oddo is a much better player than Zaccardo and should start from here on in.

Iaquinta was useless when he came on as all he did was take up offside positions. He did pretty much the same thing against Ghana but luckily for him Kuffour was there to provide an assist in that game. Del Piero did well IMO. Nothing special by any stretch of the imagination but he was easily Italy's best attacker. He kept possession, his movement was good and he brought the best out of Keller on two occasions.

My ratings:

Buffon - Luckily for him McBride was offside on Beasley's disallowed goal because he really should've done better with that. Can't remember him having to make any tough saves. 5.5

Zaccardo - Didn't offer much going forward and looked shaky when defending. Horrible own goal. 4

Nesta - Well played. Solid as ever, no serious mistakes. 7

Cannavaro - Superb for the second game running. A true captain's performance from Fabio. 7.5

Zambrotta - Did well for his first game back from injury. Got forward nicely in the second half and defended capably. 6.5

Perrotta - Average. 6

Pirlo - Is this the same guy that is struggling for form? I think not. Pulled the strings in midfield and played some incisive passes. 7.5

De Rossi - Idiotic. 4

Totti - Struggled when he was on. 5

Gilardino - Scored a nice goal but did NOTHING else. We need more from him. 6

Toni - Ineffective. He tried hard but it just wasn't his day. 5.5

Gattuso - Added stability to the midfield when he came on. 6.5

Del Piero - Good touches, nearly scored twice, good movement. Made more of an impact than any of his attacking peers in the second half. 6.5

Iaquinta - Useless. I'd rather see Inzaghi on the pitch. 5

Juve_25

Jan 3, 2006
Stuart said:
What a dramatic game. An Italian goal against the run of play, a comical Zaccardo own goal, three red cards and two disallowed goals.

I knew that this would be a very tough game for Italy and the US came out fighting and definitely seemed to want it more in the early stages. Thankfully captain Canna was immense once more and Gilardino put the Azzurri in front with a nice headed goal. At this point I was thinking, ok cool, we're gonna settle down now, soak up some pressure and hit the desperate Americans on the break but who could've predicted what would happen in the coming minutes? Zaccardo had a decent game against Ghana but for a professional defender playing for one of the best defensive teams in the world to score an own goal like that is pathetic. Regardless of that incident, Oddo is a much better player than Zaccardo and should start from here on in.

Iaquinta was useless when he came on as all he did was take up offside positions. He did pretty much the same thing against Ghana but luckily for him Kuffour was there to provide an assist in that game. Del Piero did well IMO. Nothing special by any stretch of the imagination but he was easily Italy's best attacker. He kept possession, his movement was good and he brought the best out of Keller on two occasions.

My ratings:

Buffon - Luckily for him McBride was offside on Beasley's disallowed goal because he really should've done better with that. Can't remember him having to make any tough saves. 5.5

Zaccardo - Didn't offer much going forward and looked shaky when defending. Horrible own goal. 4

Nesta - Well played. Solid as ever, no serious mistakes. 7

Cannavaro - Superb for the second game running. A true captain's performance from Fabio. 7.5

Zambrotta - Did well for his first game back from injury. Got forward nicely in the second half and defended capably. 6.5

Perrotta - Average. 6

Pirlo - Is this the same guy that is struggling for form? I think not. Pulled the strings in midfield and played some incisive passes. 7.5

De Rossi - Idiotic. 4

Totti - Struggled when he was on. 5

Gilardino - Scored a nice goal but did NOTHING else. We need more from him. 6

Toni - Ineffective. He tried hard but it just wasn't his day. 5.5

Gattuso - Added stability to the midfield when he came on. 6.5

Del Piero - Good touches, nearly scored twice, good movement. Made more of an impact than any of his attacking peers in the second half. 6.5

Iaquinta - Useless. I'd rather see Inzaghi on the pitch. 5
1) I keep asking myself why didin't Lippi played with Zambo on the right and Grosso (much better than Zaccardo) on the left as he said some days early.

2) IMO it was beautiful, I can't imagine any attacker doing that espectacular goal with the net behind him! Too shame that it was an OWNGOAL!!!

3) I agree with you ratings. The only is Buffon, I would put him a 6 he didn't make an estupid mistake at least. For the rest :tup:;)

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
goggo said:
I'm not sure is this poste earlier, but this is waht Lippi said:

Lippi Attempts Italian Defense

Italy boss Marcello Lippi tried to explain the Azzurri’s extremely disapponinting performance against the United States as a drop of form after a ‘fantastic opening game.’

“I need to justify my players’ performance. I think that the other night against Ghana they spent a lot of energies. We didn’t recover in these days as I had hoped, and the approach was wrong,” said Lippi in the post-game press-conference.

”At the start of the game we had missed passes, nervous reactions, like De Rossi’s, and more negative things. Now our future is in the balance,” he added.

“I don’t want to say anything on De Rossi though, if I have something to say, I will let him know in private,” the Italian ‘mister’ said in reference to De Rossi’s inexcusable red card.

With the draw, Italy can’t afford a loss against the Czech Republic or they will risk being the first major casuality of what has so-far been a fanastic World Cup.

”Our World Cup starts here. We are in a do or die situation from now on. I’m sure we will recover in these next days, and play a great game against the Czechs,” he said.

Lippi then had his say on the battling Americans, mostly complimenting them, but also sent out a little jibe to his counterpart Bruce Arena.

“USA were all very good. I would prefer to not make any names in order to not be unfair to the others. Arena protested on our supposed dives? I won't comment on this, but I also could say something on his players, but I wont,” he said.

source: http://worldcup.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=76440
CLASS.... Forza Lippi :)

I really hope Del Piero starts against the Czech. Although he was not brilliant against USA but he do more than any could do in such narrow spaced deffense of USA.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
I don't know why you guys are against Lippi bringing in Iaquinta. O he fvcked up in an easy chance to score.. BUT the sub was good. If it wasn't for the linesman who denied 3 onside runs for him the game would've ended differently.
Italy were really slow. Iaquinta gave italy some speed which the linesman killed.
I bet you even if Iaquinta got to miss all 3 one-on-one the game would've changed. Italy changed its approach due to HUGE number of offsindes which half of them were wrongly called.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
the refereing in the tournament start to look pathetic, a la overrefereing. yellow cards, for already in the first minutes after kickoff for easy mistake, and then all those red cards. soon some teams might not have enough players to start a match :D :tdown:

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
ZAF3000 said:
I don't know why you guys are against Lippi bringing in Iaquinta. O he fvcked up in an easy chance to score.. BUT the sub was good. If it wasn't for the linesman who denied 3 onside runs for him the game would've ended differently.
Italy were really slow. Iaquinta gave italy some speed which the linesman killed.
I bet you even if Iaquinta got to miss all 3 one-on-one the game would've changed. Italy changed its approach due to HUGE number of offsindes which half of them were wrongly called.
because pippo is better finisher and had better season.

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
Maresca said:
sebi, what the hell are you talking about?? the only one that says the ref was unfair is your great coach.. actualy he must thank the linemen and zaccardo for having the point.
as italy fan I am not saying anything about the ref, I am only dissapointed with italys perfermence.

Go read the thread. 70% of the people said the ref was unfair, and Italy should've won.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
Stephan said:
because pippo is better finisher and had better season.
I agree, BUT Iaquinta is faster and thats what Lippi wants. Many offsides were called on Iaquinta, but only one that was correctly called, the rest were all onsides. On the other hand, Pippo is a master of being offsides I sometime dount that anyone has informed him about the offside rule in football.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
Sir Sebastian said:
Go read the thread. 70% of the people said the ref was unfair, and Italy should've won.
Italy played bad. The ref was bad.

In my opinion:

1- 1st red card for italy = did not see it but i hear it was obvious. so correct call
2- 1st red card for USA = 100% correct call.
3- 2nd red card for USA = correct call. He deserved a yellow making it a red.
4- disallowed goal = correct call.
5- 4 or 5 offsides against iaquinta = He was onside in 3 of them
6- USA deffender pulls Iaquinta's shirt inside the box = wrong call.. Should've been a PK.
7- Pirlo got challenged badly while connecting with DP just outside the box = no call which is wrong. Should've been FK for Italy and a yellow fot the deffender.
8- Late in the game Pirlo knocked down again just outside the corner of the box, no call = worng. it shoul've been FK.
9- FK called for USA against Zambrotta and Zambrotta gaining a yellow. This I have no clue how did the ref see it as a foul and on what bases did Zambrotta deserve a yellow.

These are the major things I remember..

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
ZAF3000 said:
Italy played bad. The ref was bad.

In my opinion:

1- 1st red card for italy = did not see it but i hear it was obvious. so correct call
2- 1st red card for USA = 100% correct call.
3- 2nd red card for USA = correct call. He deserved a yellow making it a red.
4- disallowed goal = correct call.
5- 4 or 5 offsides against iaquinta = He was onside in 3 of them
6- USA deffender pulls Iaquinta's shirt inside the box = wrong call.. Should've been a PK.
7- Pirlo got challenged badly while connecting with DP just outside the box = no call which is wrong. Should've been FK for Italy and a yellow fot the deffender.
8- Late in the game Pirlo knocked down again just outside the corner of the box, no call = worng. it shoul've been FK.
9- FK called for USA against Zambrotta and Zambrotta gaining a yellow. This I have no clue how did the ref see it as a foul and on what bases did Zambrotta deserve a yellow.

These are the major things I remember..

u missed one.....i believe toni was said to be offside and wasn't while dropping it back for gattuso and seeing him score. should of been a goal toni was onside 100%. Look back to the germany costa rica match and you can clearly see the ref.'s giving the forwards more slack and they said if it is close give the advantage to the striker. why start the tourny off like that and have it end up like this...... italy was called an for offside about 11 or 12 times yesterday and half of them were right....... right now im seeing some great calls. and i hope the ref. lets italy vs. the czech play more because this is going to be one of the best games of the group stage. I hate seeing the game stopped 45 times in the first half.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Sir Sebastian said:
Actually it's the Americans that have been bashing the referee. And I still find that strange as Italy had a legal goal disallowed and missed out on a clear penalty.

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
Strange? funny how we found it strange that we played with 9 men

And im pretty sure youve done more ref bashing than anyone else on the forum

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Sir Sebastian said:
Strange? funny how we found it strange that we played with 9 men

And im pretty sure youve done more ref bashing than anyone else on the forum
True. However I never claimed the Italians were robbed yesterday. I said it was simply a bad ref. The USA red cards were just.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Oh, and then the number of refereeing errors in this tournament is so big you'd have to an idiot to think everything is normal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)