[WC] Italia vs Australia [26-06-2006] (9 Viewers)

May 11, 2006
Geof said:
Today's ref:

MEDINA CANTALEJO Luis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nationality: Spain
Role: Referee
Date of birth: 1 March 1964
Height: 173 (cm)
Weight: 70 (kg)
Referee since: 1 January 2002
First international : Turkey v Georgia ( 4 September 2004)
Place of residence: TOMARES (SEVILLA)
Country of residence: Spain
Mother language: Spanish
Other languages: English
General interests: Music, literature, sports, nature, travelling
Best memory: Barcelona (ESP) v Real Madrid (ESP) in 2002; UEFA U-21 Championship 2004; 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany preliminary competition: South American and Oceanian play-off: Australia v Uruguay 16.11.2006

Has he ever refereed a game for Italy, or atleast Italian teams?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
A bit less than 3 hours left before the match, and I'm getting the jitters...

Cahill warns Italy not to underestimate Australia

Tim Cahill has warned Italy to underestimate Australia at their peril in Kaiserslautern today.

The Socceroos have advanced to the last 16 despite being in front for a sum total of five minutes in the entire three-match group stage.

That short spell in the opening game against Japan proved pivotal in getting Australia into the knockout phase.

But Cahill is adamant anyone who thinks the men from Down Under are fortunate to be in this position are sadly mistaken.

'We have not fluked our way through and we have not benefited from a sequence of lucky results,' said Cahill.

'We have a great spirit and attitude, we are very fit and we have good players. I am sure our performances have opened the eyes of a lot of people to how good we are, including Italy.

'They are a great side, with so much tradition. But, while we respect them, we certainly do not fear them. With our ability and discipline, we can do a job against anybody.'

The chances of Italy taking any team coached by Guus Hiddink lightly are pretty remote.

Italian minds still shudder at the memory of a Hiddink-inspired South Korea turning them over at the same stage of the competition four years ago and with a favourable quarter-final pairing with either Switzerland or the Ukraine awaiting the winners, Azzurri boss Marcello Lippi will be keen to avoid another unexpected setback.

'I think everyone has been concerned about the Hiddink factor, not just Italy,' said Cahill.

'However, after what happened in Korea I am sure they will have a lot of respect for him and his tactics.

'If what happened four years ago helps us that would be fine but, as players, we know we have to do our own jobs.'

Hiddink has already confirmed his intention to recall keeper Mark Schwarzer following Zeljko Kalac's disastrous performance against Croatia.

The wily Dutch coach also has to find a replacement for suspended full-back Brett Emerton, while Harry Kewell is also a major doubt with a long-standing groin problem.

Kewell's absence would be a major blow for Australia, although not one which would dent confidence inside the Socceroos camp too much.

Already, Australia are planning for the possibility of penalties, with Cahill ready to stick his hand up and take one if required.

'I am sure we have enough guys who can step up and do the job but I would definitely be up for it,' said the Everton midfielder.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
hopefully italy does'nt go into the game under estimating australia and hiddink. i cant hide me being worried but i have faith lippi will do it tonight. forzaaaaaaaaa italia!!!!!!!!

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
I just hope Materazzi won't ruin it, I don't trust that prick, wonder what are the odd on him for the red card..

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
big chance for Del piero, forza Italia:

Italia: la formazione ufficiale, gioca Del Piero
26 06 2006
Questa la formazione dell'Italia che scenderà in campo contro l'Australia alle ore 17: Buffon, Zambrotta, Materazzi, Cannavaro, Grosso, Pirlo, Perrotta, Gattuso, Del Piero, Toni e Gilardino. Confermata quindi l'indiscrezione dell'ultima ora: Totti in panchina, Del Piero in campo dal primo minuto

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
To be honest, that line-up is even worse. DP would only have been effective on the left, with Camo on the right. The latter isn't there.... Totti at least is able to provide the strikers with assists from a central position, Del Piero is a different type of player completely.

mnementh

Jun 5, 2005
THERE IS A GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totti out, Del Piero in! Monday 26 June, 2006
Marcello Lippi has sprung a major surprise by replacing Francesco Totti with Alessandro Del Piero in the side for today’s match against Australia.

The Roman, despite his mediocre form, was set to still start in the last 16 clash but the Coach has thought otherwise.

Instead, Del Piero will start in an attacking wide left position and will provide support for an attacking duo of Alberto Gilardino and Luca Toni.

The latter comes into the side after being dropped from the starting line-up which faced the Czech Republic, while Mauro Camoranesi is axed to the bench.

Italy (confirmed): Buffon; Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Materazzi, Grosso; Perrotta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Del Piero; Gilardino, Toni.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
mnementh said:
THERE IS A GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totti out, Del Piero in! Monday 26 June, 2006
Marcello Lippi has sprung a major surprise by replacing Francesco Totti with Alessandro Del Piero in the side for today’s match against Australia.

The Roman, despite his mediocre form, was set to still start in the last 16 clash but the Coach has thought otherwise.

Instead, Del Piero will start in an attacking wide left position and will provide support for an attacking duo of Alberto Gilardino and Luca Toni.

The latter comes into the side after being dropped from the starting line-up which faced the Czech Republic, while Mauro Camoranesi is axed to the bench.

Italy (confirmed): Buffon; Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Materazzi, Grosso; Perrotta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Del Piero; Gilardino, Toni.
Everything is good for DP, let's hope he can perform!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)