[WC] Italia vs Australia [26-06-2006] (34 Viewers)

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
This should be my last post ,before the game.:)

I'm wishing us all the best and a win of course...looking at the teams in the 1/4 fin,it would be a shame not to participate.

Forza Azzurri,and God help us!!!!!!!

mnementh

Jun 5, 2005
Azzurri7 said:
Pathetic. Lippi must be drunk to play Iaquinta and Gila together....Toni-Inzaghi or Dp-Inzaghi upfront.
yeah, Del Piero - Inzaghi duo sounds really nice... with or without Totti from behind (maybe some other midfielder in a 4-4-2).

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
denco said:
Italy better beware of Viduka and it will be better to put Cannavro on him instead of Materazzi and for the life of me, i dont know why Oddo and Zambrotta are not the full backs. i would not put Camoranesi and Totti in my starting line up, Totti can aleays come on with 30 minutes to go when legs are tired and maybe do some damage as he is not doing so from the start and to be fair should not be expected to. Camoranesi is just too dithering for my liking and i will always pick Perotta ahead of him. If Italy do not get to the semis then serious questions need to be asked
I agree with you about Canna marking Viduka, and also about Oddo & Zamby

I think I have to disagree with you about Camo. Perrotta doesnt have the crossing ability that Camo has, and isnt really a RM, because sooner or later, Perrotta is going to have to work to the outside, and thats not his strong point

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Anybody who thinks that Italy will go through should really reconsider what they have said as the press just love to boot-lick Italy. Yes on paper Italy is strong compared to Australia, but Australia has a genius of a coach with the name of Hiddink, who can achieve something out of nothing.

For this game, it will go like this

-----------Gilardino - Toni
-------------------Totti-
----------Gattuso - Pirlo - Perrotta-
Grosso - Matrix - Canna - Zambrotta
------------------Buffon--------------

Hopefully Matrix and the attack compartment doesn't choke, as Australia can really pounce on every mistake committed. But I'm faithful that Lippi will do the job. in finishing Australia, but I expect it to take a bit longer than usual.

The referee? I'm afraid that his decisions will be all wrong again. For the WC campaign, most of the referees are incompetent, so I woulnd't be surprised if something goes wrong for Italy.

I expect this game to go 1 - 0 to Italy, with many refereeing decisions going the wrong way.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Black&White. said:
Anybody now the possible line up of Australia?
I wanna know how they will play
Hiddink probably wouldn't reveal it
But 1 good thing is Emerton is suspended for this tie.

But

Australia drop goalkeeper Kalac, Kewell doubtful
25 June 2006
by Reuters

Australia dropped goalkeeper Zeljko Kalac while forward Harry Kewell is struggling to be fit for Monday's FIFA World Cup™ second round clash with Italy in Kaiserslautern.
Australia coach Guus Hiddink said he had still not decided on his starting lineup for the match but confirmed that Kalac would make way for Mark Schwarzer in goal.

Kalac took Schwarzer's place for the final Group F match against Croatia on Thursday, which ended 2-2.

However, he made a serious blunder that almost cost the Socceroos a place in the second round, fumbling an innocuous low drive from Croatia captain Niko Kovac into his own net.

Kewell's late equaliser saved Kalac from further humiliation but Hiddink got straight to the point when asked whether he had lost his place to Schwarzer for the Italy match.

"Normally I don't give a lineup (in advance) but yes," he told a news conference on Sunday.

Australia skipper Mark Viduka said he was sad for Kalac, nicknamed Spider, but understood why he had been left out.

"Spider's part of our family here and obviously he'll be very upset," Viduka said. "Nobody wants things like that to happen to them but I think he's alright, he's a tough nut."

Hiddink confirmed that Kewell was still struggling with a niggling groin injury that almost forced him to miss the tournament.

He was named Man of the Match after running himself to a standstill against Croatia but the effort took its toll. Kewell has been unable to train since and has been receiving round the clock treatment in the hope of playing Italy.

"Harry will not participate fully in training with the team today," Hiddink said. "We'll see how this situation is tomorrow. It will be the same procedure as before the Croatia game."

Viduka said the Australians were unlikely to know whether Kewell was available or not until just before Monday's match.

"How much concern is there? I don't know. We just have to wait and see how the situation unfolds," said the striker.

"Obviously, Harry's a very important player for us and we want him to be 100 per cent fit."

Australia have also got a problem trying to find a replacement for defensive midfielder Brett Emerton, who is suspended after being sent off against Croatia.

"We have to deal with that and try and find a solution," Hiddink said. "He's one of the fittest players in this World Cup and it's very difficult to replace him."

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060625/7/88bh.html

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Black&White. said:
I'm worry about the shape of the aussies. Those players run behind every ball, they never give a ball as missed.
They r working under Hiddink's tactics, but Kewell is doubtful for this tie

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
I was angry after reading todays news that a reporter actually expect Italy to be knocked out by Hiddink. I tell you it would be an all out game, the Italians will never be ground down so easily by Australia and they will give their all in this game. I wish that Italy will have a convincing win because theu have the ability to go to the semi-finals since their next opponent is either Switzerland or Ukarine. Furthermore it restalls Italian pride if Italy were to win.

Go ITALIA

Joaco

the cronopio
Dec 11, 2005
ZhiXin said:
I was angry after reading todays news that a reporter actually expect Italy to be knocked out by Hiddink. I tell you it would be an all out game, the Italians will never be ground down so easily by Australia and they will give their all in this game. I wish that Italy will have a convincing win because theu have the ability to go to the semi-finals since their next opponent is either Switzerland or Ukarine. Furthermore it restalls Italian pride if Italy were to win.

Go ITALIA
well said, mate
Forza Italia!!!

del pietro

Aug 13, 2005
For us Italian/Australians it really is a confusing feeling coming into this match... I can tell you that whoever goes through would have an great chance to make the semis.. I just can't imagine what it would be like for the Aussies if we were to make it to the semis.. it would be a dream!

I recon it would end up a solid 3-1 win for Italia... but I hope I'm wrong.

Cmon AUSTRALIA!!

Alfio_87

Nov 21, 2005
Yes ital/Aussies confussing times i tell you know Kewell will play! I think aussies just playing it quite while the pressure builds and builds on italy! Lets go the AUSSIES!

some little Keys on italy
We need to pressure Pirlo and close him down every time as he can b stripped of ball if pressured furiously i seen it v czech i seen it v US ,If we do we can make some chances! Pressure cannavaro and Materazzi when on ball as they are not comfatable on ball without Nesta there they lack abilty on ball down back! They are ok on ball but if pressured they will just try clear in hope! Especially when Czechs pressured them when nesta was out they lost many balls! these are little things but these are important!

Geof

May 14, 2004
Today's ref:

MEDINA CANTALEJO Luis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nationality: Spain
Role: Referee
Date of birth: 1 March 1964
Height: 173 (cm)
Weight: 70 (kg)
Referee since: 1 January 2002
First international : Turkey v Georgia ( 4 September 2004)
Place of residence: TOMARES (SEVILLA)
Country of residence: Spain
Mother language: Spanish
Other languages: English
General interests: Music, literature, sports, nature, travelling
Best memory: Barcelona (ESP) v Real Madrid (ESP) in 2002; UEFA U-21 Championship 2004; 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany preliminary competition: South American and Oceanian play-off: Australia v Uruguay 16.11.2006

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 34)