[WC] Italia vs Australia [26-06-2006] (5 Viewers)

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
denco said:
Football is all about opinions and thats why its so passionate and the best sport ever. When i was watching the game live , i thought the penalty decision was diabolical. But when i watched the highlights and saw it again, i can see why it was given. First of all Lucas Neill was silly to go to ground, then his arm clearly comes up to impede Grosso who needed no more invitation to go down and it not a blatant penalty but a penalty it surely was. There is a big difference between diving and going down easily to get a decision and Grosso felt some contact and went down easily.
I see some ppl saying Materazzi deserved to be sent off, goodness me, i don't like the player but that was an atrocious decision. It was not a dangerous tackle, it was reckless but he did not touch Bresciano who made the most of it, and he was not the last man.
At least I called it right when i said Totti should start from the bench and come on when legs are tired.
I thought Dp, Gilardino and Toni played well together and movement off the ball was better, if not the finishing. Dp has to play with more guts though and run at defenders as he is not doing that.
Buffon and Cannavaro were immense but I am gonna reserve special praise for 2 players who were just fantastic
Perrotta was magnificent and his energy levels are amazing, he was in the thick of things in the midfield, always joining in the attacks and helping in defence but he was just pipped to my mom by Gatusso who was unbelievable thruout. As for Australia , what goes around comes around, they ought to have lost to Japan and had Cahill sent off for kicking in the box and conceding a late penalty and yesterday although they had lots of possesions they were poor with it. As for Hiddink, you got away with it 4 years ago , so now you know how it hurts to have a decision not go your way and how ironic that Totti who was wrongly sent off scored the winning penalty. South Korea got eliminated by a debatable penalty. Must be very sweet revenge for Italy

Just out of curiosity why is it that England played Sweden on tuesday, Ecuador on sunday, and are playing Portugal on saturday,while Italy played czech rep on thurs , Australia on monday and are playing on friday against Ukaraine, very strange

Oh for crying out loud. Australia wasn't even close to deserving the win. What chances did you have? You played against 10 Italians for 45 minutes and managed NOTHING. You deserved to go out. It's not because you're BY FAR the lesser team you suddenly deserve to win without creating ANYTHING. It's not as if the rules are different because you suck. Australia's lack of class doesn't mean that they should suddenly be handed some advantage towards Italy. I agree that the Italians could have done better, but they were quite obviously the better team yesterday.

I agree 100% with what Denco and Seven have posted

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
with all his class,i dont understand why he wants to coach small teams and not the big ones.sure,the smaller teams provide a more challenging task,but still.hiddink could kill if he was at a world class team.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
axlrose85 said:
with all his class,i dont understand why he wants to coach small teams and not the big ones.sure,the smaller teams provide a more challenging task,but still.hiddink could kill if he was at a world class team.
You never know. Maybe he can't add that extra that he does to the small teams to the big teams.

OP
Stephan

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
  • Thread Starter #649
    i think its because big teams have big names, big stars, players who can do it all by themselves/tactics are not so important. Hiddink likes to take new challenges and coaching a smaller/weaker team is more interesting challenge.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
    Stephan said:
    i think its because big teams have big names, big stars, players who can do it all by themselves/tactics are not so important. Hiddink likes to take new challenges and coaching a smaller/weaker team is more interesting challenge.

thats true steph, look i dont hate hiddinks tactics at all i think he is a very good coach the thing i hate about him was the rubbish he said after the game yesterday he forgot that korea stepped over italy in 2002 thanks to the refrees mistakes too. besides that he is the kind of coach who can turn a team (with all respect to the aussies)that lacks a lot into a world class team. examples, korea, and australia.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
    Feb 12, 2006
    end of the day it was wrong of hiddink to call us cheats and dives, because the ref bought the challenge matrix did, and to any ref in that angle must surely know that was nothing more than a yellow, wen u especially compare that challenge heinze did to the mexican player, that was worthy of a red.

what i also disliked from hiddink was his lack of responsibility in himself of the team's failure to capitalise on the man advantage, he had 40 mins to win the game, with the opportunity handed to him on a silver platter, he waited till 5 min from time to stick on aloisi.

hiddink choked and failed to take the opportunity whilst it was there, but if u ask me justice was done, he robbed us 4 yrs ago of a very controversial ref and wen matrix went off i thought oh god round 2.

as for the peno, without being biased it was a very good decision, why? well lucas neil went to ground far too early inviting grosso, grosso tried to get over him to regain the ball, and it was obvious from the challenge on grosso seconds before he had the intention to play on, but wen grosso went over neil, neil makes contact with him with his left arm, causing an obstruction, it wasnt a dive because contact was made, as that was the case thats y it was a peno, wheather he made a meal of the contact is another matter, but contact was definatly made, so it was a peno.

this morning i had a online verbal dispute with about half of australia explaining this, but obviously they were outraged, not that i cud really understand y, maybe because of their limited knowledge of the game i dont know, but it showed certainly the experience the italians had, keeping a cool head, and getting the job done.

btw is it just me but dont u juventino's judging on matrix's performance in the wc make u wana make a plea to juve to sign him? i flaming well do! he was fantastic in the first half he made 25 successful passes and 1 unsuccessful, wen u compare that to riquelme's passing, riq is put to shame!

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
    Canna: Aussies were lucky Tuesday 27 June, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fabio Cannavaro has rejected claims Italy were fortunate to reach the quarter-finals, insisting if anyone had the rub of the green, it was Australia.

“I am irritated by those who described us as lucky. We had at least six or seven scoring opportunities. How many did Australia have – a couple at best?”

The Azzurri clung on for almost the entire second half following Marco Materazzi’s harsh dismissal, but qualified thanks to a contested Francesco Totti penalty in the final seconds of stoppages. The Socceroos were furious that Lucas Neill’s challenge on Fabio Grosso was considered a foul.

“If anyone was lucky, it was Australia, as they were able to play against 10 men for 40 minutes. Nonetheless, I was sure we would get through. The Australians play a very predictable style of football and, when Andrea Barzagli came on, I told him to enjoy himself. This is the kind of game where a defender has fun.”

The Azzurri captain has been outstanding in Germany 2006 so far and his form has filtered through to central defensive partners Alessandro Nesta, Materazzi and Barzagli.

“I’ve always been strong physically and I think for a player what happens off the field is even more important,” grinned the Juventus defender. “I don’t drink or smoke. I eat well, get plenty of sleep and, when the mood takes, sex is good for you too.”

source: channel4.com

Class! :thumbs:

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
    The Matrix trilogy

As Marco Materazzi once again finds himself in the headlines, James Sugrue takes a look at his typically controversial World Cup so far

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just like the series of films from which Marco Materazzi took his nickname, there are three instalments of the Inter defender. In keeping with the movie link these can appropriately be referred to as the good, the bad and the ugly, but it had seemed as though we would be given the rare treat of only seeing the positive side of Materazzi in Germany this summer.

When Alessandro Nesta hobbled off just 16 minutes into Italy’s crucial group match against the Czech Republic many Azzurri fans feared the worst. Many more then joined them in that pessimism when Materazzi stepped off the bench and towards the touchline. Such is the reputation carried by the giant defender that the sight of him in the famous blue shirt is often claimed to be a sure sign that Italy will go down to 10 men and concede a penalty. But those doubters, myself included, were left rueing their comments after just a matter of minutes.

As a solid but uninspiring Azzurri had trouble creating a goalscoring chance, a Francesco Totti corner saw Matrix leap above the Czech defenders in a fashion that would not have seemed out of place in a slow motion sequence from the sci-fi trilogy. His perfect low header silenced his numerous critics and he wasn’t about to give them any ‘I told you so’ moments. He continued to play out possibly his best ever performance for the Nazionale, forming an impressive makeshift partnership with the unbeatable – as usual – Fabio Cannavaro.

While his goal could be brushed aside as a throwback to his scoring days at Perugia, yours truly was once again guilty as charged, his undeniably excellent defensive display must have left the likes of Pavel Nedved and Marek Jankulovski scratching their heads. Yet there was still more to follow.

Nesta’s continued absence meant the Matrix was to keep his place, this time from the start, in the second round against Australia. Not only did he repeat his excellent pairing with Cannavaro, but was also Italy’s most creative influence despite playing in central defence. His long passes towards Luca Toni and Co were a constant threat and at half-time only one of the 26 such balls he played had not reached their intended target.

But – there always seems to be one when Materazzi is involved – things were soon to go horribly wrong. Five minutes into the second half, Tim Cahill was booked for an alleged elbow on the defender and the two traded insults in the international language of childish face pulling. Just 30 seconds later Matrix was looking at a red card and his teammates were looking at a very different game from the one they had been playing before the break. And yet there is still one more ‘but’ to come.

Did he really deserve to be sent off for what was unquestionably a foul, but was neither inside the penalty area nor dangerous? That leaves only the argument that he was the last man, but that is ridiculous. By that time the flying Gianluca Zambrotta was in a better position than Argentina’s Roberto Ayala when Gabriel Heinze was shown just a yellow for a much worse challenge against Mexico. “Everything was thrown away for a foul that was not worthy of a dismissal,” said the former Everton flop. “I have to say that my situation is a rare one. I’ve committed one foul in the World Cup and picked up one red card.”

As it ended, though, he will feel justice was done when Totti slammed in a controversial last minute penalty. He still has to live with a one-match suspension, remember that Luis Figo will not miss a single game after head-butting Mark Van Bommel, but he has proved to the world that he is a player capable of playing at this level.

He may have left it late in his career, but the World Cup is not a bad place to do it. Let us hope Italy stay in the competition long enough for him to get his revenge against those that loved to ridicule him.

source: channel4.com

special article for Matrix

Alfio_87

Nov 21, 2005
    sateeh said:
    everyone knew that this italy doesnt play the possesion game, all the players with the coach knew that..fact is that in the first half italy had the better chances and in the 2nd half they were a man down, wat did u expect them to do ? Ofcourse they would play on the counter...Socceroos didnt give anyone a footballing lesson as the chances vey few over the 90 mins.

Socceroos played with heart and Neil showed he is one of the best in the WC, mybe Kewell could've been the difference....but i expected Hiddink to push for the win earlier rather than waiting for the italian defence to get tired and push for the win later on.
    On the night it was Lippi who trimuphed over "GUUUUS".

Its not a penalty, but its not a dive.Grosso was smart to get that penalty.
    The red card was very wrong as well, waay off the mark. But before the red card marco actually played very well.

MOM, canna without a doubt.He didnt give the Dukes "Viduka" any chance for 90mins
    Wonderful post:agree: ! i agree with most parts and grosso seen the oppurtunity and taken it no doubt about it! But ref 5 metres away should have seen it! Colina would have said get up cause his used to it in italy while a spanish ref dosent see it every week . ! :faq1: Yes Guss waited too late but worth the risk in my book, if it went to extra time and we would have won and we would be heralding Guss as a genius once again football is about mere millimetres Guss was bout 5 secs anyway from having his plan in fulll swing while Lippi through all his cards out on deck and a lucky penalty decision to fall his way to win it! But Lippi gets the kudos cause it worked even tho a open play goal would have given him more justice. But Lippi did error putting Iquninta didnt work tho totti and Barzagli did but they where always certains in game as italy where down to ten!

Red was iffy put materazzi gave ref oppurtunity to give red late towards goal showing studs gives ref options just like the penalty! But it didnt result the game as penalty did.

While didnt Neil get red for penalty anyway last man impeading goalscoring oppurtunity i dont understand sometimes? Grosso would not have scored IMO Neil should have never dived in he knows it , he is a great player and will learn from his mistakes! Neeskans wants to take him to Barca. He would fit in beautifully was clearly australias best player head and shoulders above he is talent but now he feels like a villan but not in aussies eyes cause in ours he is a Hero.

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
    Alfio_87 said:
    Wonderful post:agree: ! i agree with most parts and grosso seen the oppurtunity and taken it no doubt about it! But ref 5 metres away should have seen it! Colina would have said get up cause his used to it in italy while a spanish ref dosent see it every week . ! :faq1: Yes Guss waited too late but worth the risk in my book, if it went to extra time and we would have won and we would be heralding Guss as a genius once again football is about mere millimetres Guss was bout 5 secs anyway from having his plan in fulll swing while Lippi through all his cards out on deck and a lucky penalty decision to fall his way to win it! But Lippi gets the kudos cause it worked even tho a open play goal would have given him more justice. But Lippi did error putting Iquninta didnt work tho totti and Barzagli did but they where always certains in game as italy where down to ten!

Red was iffy put materazzi gave ref oppurtunity to give red late towards goal showing studs gives ref options just like the penalty! But it didnt result the game as penalty did.

While didnt Neil get red for penalty anyway last man impeading goalscoring oppurtunity i dont understand sometimes? Grosso would not have scored IMO Neil should have never dived in he knows it , he is a great player and will learn from his mistakes! Neeskans wants to take him to Barca. He would fit in beautifully was clearly australias best player head and shoulders above he is talent but now he feels like a villan but not in aussies eyes cause in ours he is a Hero.
    if he(lucas Neil) continues to play the way he does then he certainly will move somewhere big in the future, seems hard to be to see him only 28.I hope he has a bigger impact on Blackburn if he doesnt move somewhere else, as his team and manager r already very good.

The good thing is that everyone is still proud of this team, ffs SBS got its largest ratings in the croatia game, which was at 5 in the morning.....australia has something to build on for the future, some figures who r considered legends and will be considered legends in the future

Alfio_87

Nov 21, 2005
    sateeh said:
    if he(lucas Neil) continues to play the way he does then he certainly will move somewhere big in the future, seems hard to be to see him only 28.I hope he has a bigger impact on Blackburn if he doesnt move somewhere else, as his team and manager r already very good.

The good thing is that everyone is still proud of this team, ffs SBS got its largest ratings in the croatia game, which was at 5 in the morning.....australia has something to build on for the future, some figures who r considered legends and will be considered legends in the future
    all rights have been sold to fox sports! Asia cup internationals A League the lot except WC! I dont like that SBS has proved to b brillant ..I Love FOster he is a legend he is so passionate and proud love the bloke:p !! It even looks like the big european players wont b coming down for the asia cup qualifiers some things just never change:cry: But i hope FFa put there foot down and make them come! But australia is a long long way away from europe!

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
    Alfio_87 said:
    all rights have been sold to fox sports! Asia cup internationals A League the lot except WC! I dont like that SBS has proved to b brillant ..I Love FOster he is a legend he is so passionate and proud love the bloke:p !! It even looks like the big european players wont b coming down for the asia cup qualifiers some things just never change:cry: But i hope FFa put there foot down and make them come! But australia is a long long way away from europe!
    ohhh i didnt know that, daam fox they just jumped on that.

the problem with the asian qualifiers and cup is that is it not supported by FIFA so they cant force the players to come down and play.And simply if u cant force them their clubs wont let them leave.
    well south america is a long wat from europe as well,but that didnt stop anyone
    australia if they r not complacent should easily top the group with the 2nd team, i just hope bahrain come 2nd :D

Alfio_87

Nov 21, 2005
    sateeh said:
    ohhh i didnt know that, daam fox they just jumped on that.

the problem with the asian qualifiers and cup is that is it not supported by FIFA so they cant force the players to come down and play.And simply if u cant force them their clubs wont let them leave.
    well south america is a long wat from europe as well,but that didnt stop anyone
    australia if they r not complacent should easily top the group with the 2nd team, i just hope bahrain come 2nd :D
    ahh no wonder they never come down! Asia must get the Asia cup bigger like the south american and European and set match dats when europe has internationals! Is Asia Cup finals on fifa dates ? Will we b able to field our best side?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)