US Presidential Elections thread - the fate of the world to be decided (6 Viewers)

Who would you vote to be the next President of the United States?

• John McCain

• Barack Obama

• undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
Again, it's not my request, it is the request of a bunch of Texans. I'm just spurring them on because I don't really give a toss. Although I do wish they seceded about 20 years ago.

Lets dissect this idea for a moment. Why would Texas be "better off" seceding from the United States? Well lets see, first of all, Texas has very little natural resources besides oil and natural gas. They have a lot of exposure on their borders to Mexico and also to their now angry Liberal terrorists to the North. Texas' two main cities are industrial powerhouses without much financial capability, with one of the two being the statistically fattest city on earth. The increase in the size of their citizens will increase the amount of biogas in the atmosphere, thus contributing to global warming. Natural resources such as coal, wood, steel and gold would no longer be shipped across the border to the nation of Texas, so building complexes out of those materials would no longer be feasible. Good luck rebuilding in the aftermath of hurricanes. Citizens of Texas will have to eventually build their homes out of adobe while every single asset they have co-owned by the US government will be seized.

OK, you're right, Dru. It would be ridiculous. But so damn funny!

ok andrew, i'm glad to see you living out your dream of trying to be steven colbert. best of luck to you.

and what was i thinking, the combined intellectual effort of you and burke is like dealing with the likes of a braniac voltron

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Let me guess, he actually seems to be a reasonable person and his interview was in no way edited. Am I right?
;)

Its funny that very very few bother to actually 'hear it straight from the horse's mouth' and rather just go along with what others tell them. I wish I had a penny for every time McCain misrepresented Ahmadinejad because I'd be a millionaire.

Bürkε;1767064 said:
First of all, are you for or against him?
I'm sure he's done bad things domestically but that's not what is being discussed today but what I do know is that he's not the person some people are making him out to be in respect to his foreign policy. He doesn't want to annihilate Jews and there's no proof that he wants to nuke the state of Israel.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
like i said before i have a lot of respect for ahmadinejad but larry king just sucks as a serious interviewer, someone like rose woulda stifled him
I thought it was a neutral interview. He asked some very key questions without Charles Gibbsoning them (not saying I didn't enjoy watching Palin make a fooling of herself).

Would you have wanted someone to go in and stifle him?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
;)

Its funny that very very few bother to actually 'hear it straight from the horse's mouth' and rather just go along with what others tell them. I wish I had a penny for every time McCain misrepresented Ahmadinejad because I'd be a millionaire.
Here's a classic example of American War propaganda.

Warning: this is particularly shameful.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I thought it was a neutral interview. He asked some very key questions without Charles Gibbsoning them (not saying I didn't enjoy watching Palin make a fooling of herself).

you can be neutral and at the same time call into question lapses of rationality. As refreshing as he is, his so-called mid east solution just doesnt hold "just let the people decide" he woulda been a great teacher but as a political leader hes just another "bush"

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Here's a classic example of American War propaganda.

Warning: this is particularly shameful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onNzrNEFs1E
This is from that documentary, America: Freedom to Fascism right? I saw that a couple of months ago and I wonder if there's any legitimacy to their claim about the income tax.

you can be neutral and at the same time call into question lapses of rationality. As refreshing as he is, his so-called mid east solution just doesnt hold "just let the people decide" he woulda been a great teacher but as a political leader hes just another "bush"
What I took from that answer was that it was a politicians way of saying "let the Palestinians get their country back and then decide whether they want the Zionists to remain there".

edit: I should say, let the Palestinian people be allowed to be citizens of Israel; let them vote and considering they outnumber the Zionists, this whole issue will be done with...and it'll be the democratic way.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
He never mentioned Hezbollah in that statement which was key. He did not do it. So to the normal American person, they will now think that Lebanon is responsible for that. The Marines have a negative association with Lebanon because of those bombings even if you think they do not. He helped support that negative opinion of Lebanon.

He mentioned Hezbollah in his previous statements...like two weeks ago I think. The Marines story happened in 82, I don't really think It's still in his mind, he had to give an example tonight, and he came up with the Marines story.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
If the fate of the world is decided, then why doesn't the world have a vote in this? At first I thought it was logical, as everyone votes in their own democracy. But the US want to be the world's policeman. And as a lot of Americans think that America gave the world the gift of democracy, what better example than letting all democracies vote on this one?

In reality one can only hope there is enough pressure on Americans to vote Obama.

Aug 1, 2003
I think my tutor brought up some nice points today. He basically came to the conclusion that Obama's lead is hyped by the media, in reality it'll be a much tighter race. One of the reasons being of course is that the evangelicans and the south part of America count for a big vote and they'll vote Republican. At the moment with the economic recession the right choice seems to be Obama.

However there are also some tweaks in Obama's foreign policy; one being his advocation for a withdrawal of troops from Iraq - if US followed Obama and withdrew their troops in 2006 it would've meant a morally damaging and big split in the army. But the US didn't and apparently Iraq is not such a big failure after all now (I mean you can't deny it's in a better state now than it was before.)

Next Obama would actually want to talk/meet with Ahmedinijan (sp?) without pre-conditions. To put it bluntly .... you don't sit or talk with people who plans to exterminate a race. (Ahmedinijan (sp?) is anti-Jew.)

And according to my tutor again when he want for some US military convention a few weeks back, three things about Obama do not seem to go well with the military. Their main concerns were:

1. the fact that he doesn't wear that american flag.. badge? thing on his shirt
2. his religion is still up for speculation
3. How important/much respect he has for the military.

Well that's what he said anyway. On a note unrelated to the elections, he shared with us his experience in the military convention. The weapons that the US are actually coming up with now is insane. China may well be on its way but the US is still strong. The military is actually in favour of attacking China now before they become a real threat to the US... which is why Taiwan could be a main trigger for anything to happen.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
gerald ford

i could be wrong though

c'mon andrew, i know you can come up with a better argument than obese ppl.

with all the mountain men and militia groups from both those states combined, there could be a nice lil revolution that would last about 7 hours until they reach a metropolitan area where "God's Plan" would come to a speedy end.

i hate the south probably more than any of you but you can't deny that texas is one of the strongest states in the union. i don't see WV or PA producing great american politicians... oh wait ... have we crowned biden as great yet?
Biden is from Delaware.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
i won't bother asking you about the great number of significant contributions the legendary state of West Virginia has given to the union
Anyone on the east coast is powered by West Virginia. Oh and we're the only state in the union ever to be bombed by the US military. And like half the generals from the Revolutionary war came from Western Virginia. The economy of the American West was founded in West Virginia. As was the technology to drill oil. Remember the "milkshake"? We did that first. By several years. So all that refined crude that goes into your car only does so because it was invented just west of Charleston. Oh and unlike our cousins in Virginia we became a state because unlike George Bush and Texas we kind of like black people at the time.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

But Gibson was asking easy questions. :D

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Anyone on the east coast is powered by West Virginia. Oh and we're the only state in the union ever to be bombed by the US military. And like half the generals from the Revolutionary war came from Western Virginia. The economy of the American West was founded in West Virginia. As was the technology to drill oil. Remember the "milkshake"? We did that first. By several years. So all that refined crude that goes into your car only does so because it was invented just west of Charleston. Oh and unlike our cousins in Virginia we became a state because unlike George Bush and Texas we kind of like black people at the time.
not entirely true....

Niagara Falls powers NYC, and other areas of the east coast...

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
I urge everyone to watch Larry King's interview with Ahmadinejad if you haven't already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCa71LEe0uw&feature=related

There are 6 parts of it so you'll have to fish around.
so he didnt make all those statements about Israel, including his statement that the holocaust never happened ??

how about the many derogatory statements made at his UN visits ?

he really should have meet his death the last time he was in NYC, with all his anti-American rhetoric

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
If he should meet his maker because of strong rhetorics (alot of it misquoted or invented, like him being a douche isnt enough), then who should Bush meet for having countless 100's of thousands of civilians lifes on his hand?

Btw, His anti-american comments are very mellow compared to what Bush said over the years against everyone not with him. The kicker has been the anti-israel comments he has made, or perceive to have made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)