US Presidential Elections thread - the fate of the world to be decided (6 Viewers)

Who would you vote to be the next President of the United States?

• John McCain

• Barack Obama

• undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Doesn't mean I am not voting for Obama. I think it is important to be up to date on all the politics out there especially when it has to do with our country. How else will I defend my decision to vote for Obama/Biden if I have no idea what is being said by both parties. I am surrounded by conservatives who feel that McCain/Palin are the better choice I enjoy being able to hold my own in a conversation about the election while being educated about both sides.
The sad thing about debates is you never really get to hear what the candidates really think. Especially general election debates when so much is up for grabs. My favorites are the early primary debates where everyone is trying to get an edge and separate themselves from the crowd.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Doesn't mean I am not voting for Obama. I think it is important to be up to date on all the politics out there especially when it has to do with our country. How else will I defend my decision to vote for Obama/Biden if I have no idea what is being said by both parties. I am surrounded by conservatives who feel that McCain/Palin are the better choice I enjoy being able to hold my own in a conversation about the election while being educated about both sides.
There's nothing wrong with that. But my point is I don't need to watch debates to know what is going on. And as Enron said, the candidates don't really say what they truly believe because it's all about political tactics live on television. Have to take things with a grain of salt.

I will watch tonight though.

Sarah

s-doLLa
Sep 26, 2007
The sad thing about debates is you never really get to hear what the candidates really think. Especially general election debates when so much is up for grabs. My favorites are the early primary debates where everyone is trying to get an edge and separate themselves from the crowd.
You're right. I tried to watch every debate. The debates now are all about attacking each other rather than talking about why they make the better candidate.

There's nothing wrong with that. But my point is I don't need to watch debates to know what is going on. And as Enron said, the candidates don't really say what they truly believe because it's all about political tactics live on television. Have to take things with a grain of salt.

I will watch tonight though.
I never said you have to watch debates to know what is going on in the world but the debate is going to be a huge part of this election regardless if it is a whole bunch of political tactics. It is already clear that Sarah Palin can't answer a question if her life depended on it but I am interested to see what her debate coaches have told her to say because that is what people pull out to discuss her in the future.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
You're right. I tried to watch every debate. The debates now are all about attacking each other rather than talking about why they make the better candidate.

I never said you have to watch debates to know what is going on in the world but the debate is going to be a huge part of this election regardless if it is a whole bunch of political tactics. It is already clear that Sarah Palin can't answer a question if her life depended on it but I am interested to see what her debate coaches have told her to say because that is what people pull out to discuss her in the future.
Indeed. I'm hoping Palin lays an egg tonight and convinces the actual conservatives of her party to stay home or write in Huckabee.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
If people still don't know what the issues are in this election, well, that is pretty fucking sorry if you ask me. Stay the hell at home and do not vote.

This is why I don't like seeing campaigns such as these:

If people don't care in the first place, then do NOT bother in trying to get them to vote. They have no idea what they're voting for, which is partly why we've had these douchebags in office for the past 8 years.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
"Earmarks?" Glad to see we're once again throwing around words we have no idea what they mean, Vinni. :D

But seriously, the policies of the last eight years have most likely spurred on this recession. The Democratic congress came in too late to have anything to do with it.
yeah...2 years wasnt enough time to be blamed for anything :rolleyes:

especially since there have been warnings about this for the last few years....no one listened

Yeah she really said that. I'll find the source for you if you would like. She tends to do the whole self-insult thing well. She made a joke about how she has been hearing Joe Biden's speeches since she was in second grade. She clearly forgot she is running with a 72 year old presidential candidate.
I thought the same thing when I heard that

They just rent-seek for their own behalf while hiding behind the religious and weapon front to acquire votes. That's about it. Of course, however, there have been a few good apples on the right who got stuff done, but I'm afraid they've left the building some few decades ago.

Problem is, Republicans seem to be very nonchalant with the foreign relations as you might have guessed. For instance, under the Reagan years, Osama Bin Laden was a CIA tactician while in the Maktab al-Khidamat which strove to fight off the Soviets. We funded and aided them. Then, of course, we gave Saddam chemical weapons, and you know how that turned out.
Bin Laden wasnt the problem at the time, the Soviets were...but alas, I forget, you wouldnt remember any of this because you werent even born yet, while the cold war was at its peak

As far as us giving chemical weapons to Saddam, I have heard otherwise. I read a report (I've gotta find it so I can post it here) that said that the Iraqi's manufactured their own chemical weapons, and I even read somewhere that the Soviets gave them plenty as well. We didnt give them any

you're young, you'll vote for Obama.....its the "cool" thing to do :p

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Thanks to folks like Vinman, I no longer seem older than dirt on these forums. :D
It's not really about age, most of all on the blags where noone is looking at you, it's about the attitude. Plenty of cool people around who aren't "young", and the older you get the more your "typical range" stretches :D

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Well, the debates are afoot. Lets see what happens you mountebanks.

yeah...2 years wasnt enough time to be blamed for anything :rolleyes:

especially since there have been warnings about this for the last few years....no one listened
Tell me, Vinni. When the Democratic congress came into power, what were the primary issues at hand? Lets see, the Iraq War and faux war on terrorism come to mind. Not to mention other issues. But the blame for this financial mess has to be put on the Bush administration for allowing very lax oversight in certain markets, allowing the current account to become horrendously negative, and inserting people into the FED who don't know what they're doing.

Now Sarah Palin is blaming Wall Street on live TV. Sure, they should take a lot of blame. And wow, she even breaks party rules and says we need more oversight on Wall Street! AMAZING! Especially for a Republican.

But wait a minute... John McCain said he was against more oversight on financial markets. Again, deregulate. So what do these people even stand for?

:shifty:

Bin Laden wasnt the problem at the time, the Soviets were...but alas, I forget, you wouldnt remember any of this because you werent even born yet, while the cold war was at its peak
Whether I was born or not doesn't really matter. I'm not inept when it comes to history. Sure, the Soviets were still a problem through the 1980's, but they were well on their way to failure. The Berlin wall was being torn down while at the same time we threw money and intelligence at Bin Laden, the same person who supposedly authorized the attacks on 9/11. Now come on... please don't tell me your Republican buddies didn't screw up in that respect. Reagan provided the funds to Bin Laden so that he could carry out the attacks on 9/11.

Man, you know you and I have a lot of foresight when it comes to football and Juventus. But where the hell was the foresight in the 80's when we aided two of our modern day biggest enemies? :confused2

As far as us giving chemical weapons to Saddam, I have heard otherwise. I read a report
Yes you did. That was the CIA report from 2002. :seven:

you're young, you'll vote for Obama.....its the "cool" thing to do :p
Again, Vinni, you're not fooling anybody with this, "I'm older than you, I know better" nonsense. I don't give a flying Boeing 747 whether or not it's "cool" to vote for Obama. I'm voting for him because I truly believe he could do wonders for not only the US, but also the World. And that statement is very general, but I'm not going to waste my time arguing it any further, especially when I see comments such as, "you're only voting for him because it's cool."

Nope, not going to justify that nonsense. Such a punch line is typical of beleaguered Republicans who are looking worse off than a lame duck. But I will give you Repubs this... you're certainly good at providing those punch-lines over the airwaves and making the dumbass masses believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)