US Presidential Elections thread - the fate of the world to be decided (17 Viewers)

Who would you vote to be the next President of the United States?

• John McCain

• Barack Obama

• undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Oh and on another thing. What time did the Republicans ever not skirt the issues to bring something trivial like gays, abortion, or swift boats? Yet they constantly call out Democrats on stuff that hardly matters even though we never bring up alcoholism, cocaine addiction, womanizing, toe tapping in bathroom stalls, the 6 or 7 Congressmen removed from office and actions of the US republican administration in it's attempted manipulation of the judicial system.

And the whole Palin talking about how Democrats will make government bigger.

I wish I could interview her. This is how it would go.

I'm sorry ma'am the Patriot Act and other similar laws have made government bigger than ever before. What do you have to say about that?

Her answer (typical party line of course): Well you can't ignore the importance of having secure borders and safety in our own homes. The American people are willing the sacrifice to be safe. That said, it's important that government not get too big because the affect on small businesses through taxes and other mean might be too detrimental for the working man to combat.

My question: What about big business? Would you disagree that big business has had as detrimental of an impact on small business and the American worker as the proposed tax hikes may? It's really no secret that taxes will increase no matter what. It's either that or we cut significant budget out of social programs. Would Republicans rather cut social programs including insurance and education to many of the hard working American families that they expect to vote for them in November? Sorry ma'am that was two.

Palin: I'm happy to answer you. Americans are a smart people. They know when government is too big and they know what's best for the country. The greatest thing about our free market economy is that small businesses have the ability to compete with those big businesses. After all they do know what's best for themselves. To answer your question, there are thousands of welfare mother leaching off the system. They really need to help themselves because as Americans they know best. That said, it would be unwise to cut all social programs and I certainly cannot advocate cutting Homeland Security or Iraq budgets as safety is a priority in the tough times.

Me: So Ma'am when do you expect the first tax hike should you win the election?

Palon: Damn you.

Me: Suck me beautiful.

Palin: Glub. Glub. Glub.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
The sword can be swung in more ways than one.

The actual event happened during Bush's watch, where intelligence pointed to a possible attack, yet the assholes you voted for didn't take it seriously.

And then you just went on to waste billions of our dollars in a fake war for oil that has caused our Current Account to plunge to last in the world by, I don't know, a few hundreds of millions of dollars.

Yeah, good job guys. You Repubs are good with fake wars and blaming government expenditures on the other party.
I so remember Bush starting in office as the "Vacation" president, given how the guy never clocked a full 30-hour workweek until 9-11.

The revelation I had lately, piecing together what I've seen of anti-terrorist bumper stickers at the gun shows my cop brother takes me to, listening to supporters of the guns-for-everybody plan, hearing others support invasions of Iraq despite the lack of any connection to terrorism, etc... is what motivates all that.

It's the politics of revenge. Revenge is the biggest motivator for a lot of people, even if it's at the expense of a ton of collateral damage that's much greater than the act being revenged.

Take guns-for-everybody. Revenge is the huge motivator. Statistics showing that a gun in the typical house is 10x more likely to kill a friend, family member, or loved one than any intruder or "evildoer" are besides the point. Essentially, we're dealing with people who are so motivated by revenge that they are more than willing to shoot 10 of their family members and loved ones as long as they have a crack at the one guy who might break in their window and try to steal their television. "Sure, I killed off two generations of my family -- but I'll be damned if I let that ass*%$# take my television!"

Similarly, that's what I see with Iraq and anti-terrorism. Forget that 37 million people in your own country are living below the poverty line -- let's spend $2 trillion on screwing with Iraq. Forget that you will kill 4,000 good American soldiers in a misguided wild goose chase to avenge the lives of 3,000 on 9/11 by invading a country that had nothing to do with it. It's about revenge. It's about that the idea of one single terrorist living out there is worth sacrificing 100 lives here if that's what it takes to get him.

I cannot fathom any sense in it. But the only explanation I can see is that revenge is thicker than blood for these folks. How else to explain a response so disproportionate to the threat? Something about being wronged by someone sends them into such a mental, bloodthirsty freak-out state that they're willing to get back at someone at all costs -- blowing up their home town with a nuke to spite their bad mail man.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
ooohh...Del La Rocha got it sooo...right, the cops are so afraid of them :soapit:

I was listening to those songs when you were 7 years old, Andy...RATM was one of my favorite bands....and then I grew up

you may have a similar experience

why don't the mods create a poll, lets see who the forum members are supporting...
who really cares what you think

I think Vinman is the only republican here.
probably because I'm the oldest one here

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Ze Tahir said:
Only in America...

Only in America...can a huge bodybuilder from Austria (Arnold) become the governor of the biggest state (population-wise) and the richest state in the entire USA..

Only in America...can another B-celebrity (Reagan) be elected President, not just once, but TWO times...

Only in America..can another President (W-Bush), be elected TWO times, despite showing low intelligence and skill, admitted alcoholism, and a history of cocaine use...

Only in America...can another president (Clinton), almost be removed from his post, for being unfaithful to his wife, this despite the fact that US had never done better than the 8 years under him...

Only in America...can it be bigger news, and a bigger scandal that the unmarried daughter to the VP-candidate is pregnant, than the fact that 37 million Americans live below poverty...

The world looks on, sometimes with wonder, sometimes chocked, and sometimes with extreme laughter...
we could also add to this "only in America can we have a presidential candidate who has zero experience, yet is a good speaker, get so much support "

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
ooohh...Del La Rocha got it sooo...right, the cops are so afraid of them :soapit:

I was listening to those songs when you were 7 years old, Andy...RATM was one of my favorite bands....and then I grew up

you may have a similar experience
:confused2

I don't know what to say. They make good arguments.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I so remember Bush starting in office as the "Vacation" president, given how the guy never clocked a full 30-hour workweek until 9-11.

The revelation I had lately, piecing together what I've seen of anti-terrorist bumper stickers at the gun shows my cop brother takes me to, listening to supporters of the guns-for-everybody plan, hearing others support invasions of Iraq despite the lack of any connection to terrorism, etc... is what motivates all that.

It's the politics of revenge. Revenge is the biggest motivator for a lot of people, even if it's at the expense of a ton of collateral damage that's much greater than the act being revenged.

Take guns-for-everybody. Revenge is the huge motivator. Statistics showing that a gun in the typical house is 10x more likely to kill a friend, family member, or loved one than any intruder or "evildoer" are besides the point. Essentially, we're dealing with people who are so motivated by revenge that they are more than willing to shoot 10 of their family members and loved ones as long as they have a crack at the one guy who might break in their window and try to steal their television. "Sure, I killed off two generations of my family -- but I'll be damned if I let that ass*%$# take my television!"

Similarly, that's what I see with Iraq and anti-terrorism. Forget that 37 million people in your own country are living below the poverty line -- let's spend $2 trillion on screwing with Iraq. Forget that you will kill 4,000 good American soldiers in a misguided wild goose chase to avenge the lives of 3,000 on 9/11 by invading a country that had nothing to do with it. It's about revenge. It's about that the idea of one single terrorist living out there is worth sacrificing 100 lives here if that's what it takes to get him.

I cannot fathom any sense in it. But the only explanation I can see is that revenge is thicker than blood for these folks. How else to explain a response so disproportionate to the threat? Something about being wronged by someone sends them into such a mental, bloodthirsty freak-out state that they're willing to get back at someone at all costs -- blowing up their home town with a nuke to spite their bad mail man.
As usual, good post, Greg. You always sum up our bullshit with such aplomb.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
As usual, good post, Greg. You always sum up our bullshit with such aplomb.
Thanks.

I still can't get over that last massive gun show I went to a couple years ago with my brother. It is one thing to hate terrorists and all they stand for. Nothing wrong with that. But it's another thing to be clearly so obsessed with them -- to a level that's self-destructive. But that's precisely what I saw there. It's the difference between supporting your daughter and being the Texas Cheerleader-Murdering Mom.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

This may sound harsh, but you have to question the intentions of Republicans. At times they look just evil. To me it's especially about the examples you put forward. I mean, how can you imagine good intentions being the stimulus of such actions? I cannot understand how anyone would vote Republican. Maybe it's the fact that I'm not American and maybe there's a lot I don't understand, but I don't see how it's even possible not to vote Obama.

And about 9/11.. well.. I don't like conspiracies an awful lot, but one has to admit it came in handy for some politicians. And documentaries like American Zeitgeist are quite convincing, not in proving that there was something behind it all, but in showing you that it's very possible there was.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Me: Suck me beautiful.
Christ you people are ridiculous. I know that taste is personal and there's no accounting for it. But you people build the ugliest cars in the world, Americans love them, everyone else thinks they're fugly. Why is that? Well, the owners of these manufacturers have bad taste and they make sure the people they hire to design their cars have their taste. It's the classic example of substituting knowledge for wealth.

I remember discussing Ann Coulter with a bunch of people once, and I was saying how I can't understand someone as lame as her could have made the career that she has. So someone said she wins a lot of people over cause even though they agree she's a moron they also think she's hot. Ann Coulter hot?? In what fucking horror movie?

Now with Palin. For every Enron that says this in jest there's gonna be 100 idiots who give her a break because "she's hot". Compared to Cheney she is pretty beautiful, but how the hell does this become the issue of the day? This is not a frickin job interview at Macdonalds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)