US Presidential Elections thread - the fate of the world to be decided (49 Viewers)

Who would you vote to be the next President of the United States?

• John McCain

• Barack Obama

• undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I watched Glenn Beck on the Larry King show, and thats not what he said. He said that he doesnt agree with all of Obama's views, but his energy reminds him of that of JFK, and that he has never seen so many people so excited about a candidate

Hardly a slam, if you asked me
But he also said Obama would be a horrendous President. How exactly does he know that?

Ohh yeah, that's right. Because he's a Republican and Republicans are "zee best." He also went on to allude to his supposed "fact" of if a Democrat is elected this November, the nation will not only be completely unsafe, but terrorists will somehow "beat us" with multiple strikes on our nation. How exactly does he know that?

Ohh yeah, that's right. Because he's a Republican and Republicans are "zee best." I don't know how anybody could believe such tripe, but that's where the fear mongering comes into play. It's a shame that people actually believe this stuff and not even ponder the possibility of a Democrat protecting the nation as well as, or even better than, a Republican.

Which party occupied the Oval Office during the most deadily attack on United States soil again?

O'Reilly and Beck are true conservatives...something you boys will become when you grow up, and start a family
I highly doubt that. Perhaps if I become an investment banker on Wall Street, or something.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
That is fucking hilarious :rofl:

What kind of drugs was his speech writer on, I mean he doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.
But the funny thing is, his speech embodies the usual philosophies of the Republican Party in the 21st century.

If only. The terrorists are getting away with so much crap these days it's unbelievable. Newest innovation I heard about is they somehow decided it's in their right to demand to go through the files on your laptop when you enter the country. They equate this to "looking in your briefcase". Yeah those two are clearly the same.
:howler:

Theoretically I could just be sitting here not giving a shit about what happens to you guys, but in fact it's way past the time I was amused by these things.
Thankfully for us, however, people here are indeed giving a shit, maybe more, because of the horrific idiocy plauging the White House these days. Lets just hope McCain and/or Huckabee somehow don't get elected as that would be taking us down the wrong direction.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
damn thats one wheels off kinda statement kid :faq1:

could it be that they were victims of circumstance perhaps?
Victims of circumstance? Didn't the CIA know that attacks were coming in early 2001?

It's just absurd to preach safety when you have the worst safety record in HISTORY.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Which party occupied the Oval Office during the most deadily attack on United States soil again?
Which party was in office during the entire planning and reconaissance of the attack ??

Which party gave fuck-all about national security ??

How many times was the US and its interests attacked during the Clinton years ??

Those damn Democrats set him up.. or something.
and I once thought you were intelligent....

damn thats one wheels off kinda statement kid :faq1:

could it be that they were victims of circumstance perhaps?
no, couldnt be Dru....people here forget that we were hated even before Bush got into office

Its just so easy to blame the current admin...and since 9-11, how many times have we been attacked ?? We cant thank Bush for that though, can we ??

Victims of circumstance? Didn't the CIA know that attacks were coming in early 2001?
If they did, dont you think something would have been done ?? No, of course not, its a Republican ploy to fuck the country up

There was a threat of a possible hijacking....that was all the info that was picked up through intelligence. No time frame or anything else...so what would Clinton or any other Dem done in the situation, hide underneath the desk ??

And for the record, I was a democrat until 2004

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Funny how I always wanted to think you were just, don't know why, somehow just did. But then over the years every single time there's been a mention of police brutality, abuse of power or police state activity you've been either holding your tongue or denying any such thing ever happened and calling the messenger stupid and so on. Loyalty to one's friends or do you live in some incredible bubble where such news never enter?

What more proof that the propaganda is working like a charm.

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
Its just so easy to blame the current admin...and since 9-11, how many times have we been attacked ?? We cant thank Bush for that though, can we ??

If they did, dont you think something would have been done ?? No, of course not, its a Republican ploy to fuck the country up
Actually they did, but a certain someone decided to extend his vacation in a certain ranch in Texas.

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
Martin said:
If only. The terrorists are getting away with so much crap these days it's unbelievable. Newest innovation I heard about is they somehow decided it's in their right to demand to go through the files on your laptop when you enter the country. They equate this to "looking in your briefcase". Yeah those two are clearly the same.
I always wondered about this, if I am asked to hand over my laptop at customs and turn it on, and I have a power on password or whatever password, am I obliged to provide the password?

This is a similar story, but the guy is already on trial and his hard-disks is PGP encrypted:
http://www.abcnews.go.com/Technology/LegalCenter/story?id=4264587&page=1

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Which party was in office during the entire planning and reconaissance of the attack ??

How many times was the US and its interests attacked during the Clinton years ??

no, couldnt be Dru....people here forget that we were hated even before Bush got into office

There was a threat of a possible hijacking....that was all the info that was picked up through intelligence. No time frame or anything else...so what would Clinton or any other Dem done in the situation, hide underneath the desk ??

Well Vin, that was a very good argument. Sure in hindsight we can blame Clinton. It's really easy to do so. He balanced the budget and brought the country out of post Reagan economic doldrums, but in order to do so he had to make cuts. He did so in the military, but what many people don't know is that the military had been severely cut in the 1980s. Not in numbers but in pay and benefits.

I could easily blame the budget of the nineties on the presidents of the 80's, namely Ronald Reagan and George HW Bush, but I won't. True they did, overspend the budget terribly, begin the process of outsourcing jobs to foreign countries, and cut environmental and education budgets right and left. It would be easy to pin 911 on them. But I won't go there.

The truth is that even though Clinton didn't invade a Middle Eastern country in his stead as leader of our country, he did do a lot to prevent terrorism. More than people thing. He caught those responsible for the original attack on the WTC, he also started a counter terrorism unit specializing in the capture of Bin Laden. All this information was passed the Bush administration including the hold over of Clinton's main terror advisor. But due to party politics most of this information was ignored, most importantly the information that Bin Laden was a serious threat to national security.

It only takes a little reading to discover this. I don't want blame anyone, it's too easy to do that. What we need to do is figure out how this can never happen again and move on with our lives. Never forgetting, of course.

PS. It did really piss me off when Bush told everyone to go shopping in the wake of 911. I was like WTF! He just told us to go shopping? Not to pray, hope, love, or even join the army and get ready to slap a bitch, but to go buy stuff? That was annoying. It was definitely not what I wanted to hear from my President after a national tragedy.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I always wondered about this, if I am asked to hand over my laptop at customs and turn it on, and I have a power on password or whatever password, am I obliged to provide the password?

This is a similar story, but the guy is already on trial and his hard-disks is PGP encrypted:
http://www.abcnews.go.com/Technology/LegalCenter/story?id=4264587&page=1
This issue is in the media the past couple of weeks cause of that story, yes. It's an ongoing thing, and as I posted the TSA people have said they consider looking on your laptop the same thing as looking through your briefcase. So yes, you'd be forced to give up your password. There have also been stories of people getting their laptops stolen and never returned by the same people.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Funny how I always wanted to think you were just, don't know why, somehow just did. But then over the years every single time there's been a mention of police brutality, abuse of power or police state activity you've been either holding your tongue or denying any such thing ever happened and calling the messenger stupid and so on. Loyalty to one's friends or do you live in some incredible bubble where such news never enter?
maybe you dont realize it, but there are 2 sides to every story...

I wont jump on the ignorance bandwagon, like yourself, and bash police for what is perceived brutality

Unlike you, I try to get the full story before I start to slander other officers...but you wouldnt understand that

Actually they did, but a certain someone decided to extend his vacation in a certain ranch in Texas.
If he found out this "information" in January of 2001, how would he have extended his vacation, if he just got into the White House ??

More mis-information

Enron said:
He caught those responsible for the original attack on the WTC, he also started a counter terrorism unit specializing in the capture of Bin Laden
then why did he let Bin Laden go in late 1998, after the African Embassy bombings, which he was responsible for ?? The Sudan was willing to give him to us, but Billy boy balked, and passed on the opportunity. Bin Laden was allowed to board a cargo plane to Afghanistan, and the rest is history

Clinton will go down in history as the president who was most concerned about his "legacy", but trying to protect it, and a little promiscuous behavior destroyed it

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
maybe you dont realize it, but there are 2 sides to Severy story...

I wont jump on the ignorance bandwagon, like yourself, and bash police for what is perceived brutality
That's funny because you're not so careful about "getting the full story" in any other context, happily slandering lots of people sometimes without knowing anything about them. And frankly your claim to fairness is ludicrous considering how quick you are to label people as bums and other things.

Unlike you, I try to get the full story before I start to slander other officers...but you wouldnt understand that
If only you'd extend that courtesy to people that aren't officers. Does the word hypocrisy mean anything to you?

perceived brutality
That's hilarious. What's next, Iraq is perceived war?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
What really bothers me is the Protect America Act. A law which determines Americans have the right to look at the things people are doing on the internet all over the world. I'm not particularly digusted with the obvious lack of privacy, but with the sheer arrogance of a nation to declare a world law.

Anyway, back to my cave here in Bologna.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

I wouldn't really say the Clinton administration gave "fuck-all" about national security. Afterall, there were only two terrorist attacks on US soil during the Clinton years, one of which was conducted by home-grown terrorists that the media wouldn't dare label at the time of the bombing. Now there is much greater of a threat thanks to a little something here.

It's just completely shortsighted to think that the Dems wouldn't protect the country as well as the Republicans, especially when the latter holds the worst safety record when it comes to terrorism both home and abroad. Typical right-wing fear mongering. Remember, this war on Iraq has increased terrorist attacks exponentially across the world, so in all actuality we aren't any safer than we were prior to 2001. Al Qaeda and the likes aren't that imbecilic to endulge themselves in a similar attack on the United States because they knew we wouldn't let something like it happen again. They'll try something different, probably something we aren't ready for, and with new recruits who are a derivative on Bush's horrid foreign policy.

Just remember, Vinni. Actions have reactions.

So once again, Thanks Republicans.

I'm not going to speculate on what Clinton would have done with the CIA's information, but extending his stay at his vacation spot with such information is something I doubt he'd opt for. You cannot deny the idiocy seen in August 2001 in retrospect.

See Enron's post for the rest.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
That's funny because you're not so careful about "getting the full story" in any other context, happily slandering lots of people sometimes without knowing anything about them. And frankly your claim to fairness is ludicrous considering how quick you are to label people as bums and other things.
"Obama is nothing but a loud-mouthed black man."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 49)