US Army Sergeant Goes Berserk (8 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Is American patriotism one of the strongest recruitment tools for the armed forces?
It's up there. Pretty much ingrained into society. Though, finance is a big recruiter as well. Especially when they were handing out 20k signing bonuses.

---------- Post added 13.03.2012 at 14:13 ----------

WΏΏdy;3565427 said:
A tad. But I do have varying opinions on many issues.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Is American patriotism one of the strongest recruitment tools for the armed forces?

yes but not the strongest, money for college and other benefits are the main reason. the military is also portrayed as a way to turn you into a responsible adult whos ready to succeed in society. Army recruitment has come undera lot of fire lately as they mostly target 17 yo and minorities.

---------- Post added 13.03.2012 at 11:15 ----------

WΏΏdy;3565401 said:
Its not a very complicated issue you know.

---------- Post added 13.03.2012 at 21:32 ----------

I think i mention this every second post but here goes again. What happens if they refuse to go to war and kill innocent people? they get fine? jail time? so its better to skip the jail time and instead head to war?
no, dishonorable discharge pretty much means your life is f'ed. And i think i mentioned 3-4 times already most of these people are kids caught up in propaganda with neither the maturity or the sophistication to think this stuff through.

WΏΏdy?

Dec 23, 2005
i live here, i know it's complicated.
Are you saying its difficult for people there to understand that the war their govt is sending them to makes no sense?

In war time... Death.

Also, you have to remember that you don't go to war intending to killing civilians. Usually the objective is to kill the other militants and win the hearts and minds of those civilians. They tend to turn against you less when you don't kill them.
That's not the point. I agree with you that when you go to war you go to kill the enemy,not civilians. But a 'war' and the wars on vietnam,afghan or iraq are different. There was no logic in invading iraq or vietnam and to some extent afghanistan. Any average high school or a university kid would tell you that.

US keeps invading countries, later they keep accepting that they were wrong and joke about it (the faggot bush anyone? ) and it all gets easily forgotten by people like you and me because we are not at the recieving end.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
WΏΏdy;3565440 said:
Are you saying its difficult for people there to understand that the war their govt is sending them to makes no sense?

That's not the point. I agree with you that when you go to war you go to kill the enemy,not civilians. But a 'war' and the wars on vietnam,afghan or iraq are different. There was no logic in invading iraq or vietnam and to some extent afghanistan. Any average high school or a university kid would tell you that.

US keeps invading countries, later they keep accepting that they were wrong and joke about it (the faggot bush anyone? ) and it all gets easily forgotten by people like you and me because we are not at the recieving end.

look at this way, picture the person you look up to and respect the most, now how easy would it be to not only to catch them red handed lying and deceiving but to come to terms with it, to some it will shatter them to the core. so you choose to ignore it and hold on to the esteem and shift blame.

OP
Fred

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
  • Thread Starter #106
    WΏΏdy;3565440 said:

You'd be surprised Woody, though i do agree with you(goes without saying) of course, its not as clear cut as it is for you and me. Watch Fox news for example, people like Bill O Reilly and Republicans in general still think the wars were justified and call any American who says otherwise unpatriotic. Republicans are considered a sizable percentage of the American population.

WΏΏdy?

Dec 23, 2005
    look at this way, picture the person you look up to and respect the most, now how easy would it be to not only to catch them red handed lying and deceiving but to come to terms with it, to some it will shatter them to the core. so you choose to ignore it and hold on to the esteem and shift blame.
    So they are ignorant by choice right? We are not talking about a big money scam or where you skin a company and con all their money. There are lives at stake here, families and a whole fucking country. Turning a blind eye to something like this is easy as long as you are not at the recieving end and in light of justice what happens to the troops when they go back or their ignorant families is right and they deserve more, dont you think?

You'd be surprised Woody, though i do agree with you(goes without saying) of course, its not as clear cut as it is for you and me. Watch Fox news for example, people like Bill O Reilly and Republicans in general still think the wars were justified and call any American who says otherwise unpatriotic. Republicans are considered a sizable percentage of the American population.
    Ive seen Bill O reilly speak, he's probably one of the biggest cunts. I remember his debate with the guy who made the fernght 9-11 documentry. He all like "dont you dare talk to me about sacrificing for the army! my nephew is in the army" what a fag! go put ur son or urself in the army if u believe in this so much.

I agree with you and deneb though, the media in america is making a fool outta their people and sadly it is working.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    WΏΏdy;3565467 said:
    So they are ignorant by choice right? We are not talking about a big money scam or where you skin a company and con all their money. There are lives at stake here, families and a whole fucking country. Turning a blind eye to something like this is easy as long as you are not at the recieving end and in light of justice what happens to the troops when they go back or their ignorant families is right and they deserve more, dont you think?

Ive seen Bill O reilly speak, he's probably one of the biggest cunts. I remember his debate with the guy who made the fernght 9-11 documentry. He all like "dont you dare talk to me about sacrifising for the army! my nephew is in the army" what a fag! go put ur son or urself in the army if u believe in this so much.

I agree with you and deneb though, the media in america is making a fool outta their people and sadly it is working.

we all do it man in different respects, very few of us take everything head on :) some do it with girls others with their presidents, and some with religion. We all need things to believe in, and if you believe in that thing all your life it's hard to undo it all.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
    WΏΏdy;3565322 said:
    I never said that

I want them to kill their fellow troops, yes every member who goes to war. I don't get your point, in one post you say killing is not justified even if its your job and then the next post you start defending them?
    Just want to say that I know several people in afghanistan right now and you have no idea what you're talking about.
    the american public i think is torn between denouncing the atrocities(most glaring one: illegal wars) and the de-facto inherent lauding of the troops for their 'sacrifice'. But at some point, there needs to be an acknowledgment, regardless of how noble altruistic and honorbale is these men's service, they're neither protecting freedom nor making this country safer.
    Yea it's about time we honor we them by actually bringing them home.
    You'd be surprised Woody, though i do agree with you(goes without saying) of course, its not as clear cut as it is for you and me. Watch Fox news for example, people like Bill O Reilly and Republicans in general still think the wars were justified and call any American who says otherwise unpatriotic.
    That's not really true most people in the US don't think the wars are justified. Fox news will defend the bush administration for starting the wars and criticize Obama for not withdrawing fast enough, it's all some fucked up political game.

Noodle

★ ★ ★
    Jul 29, 2007
    I'm just gonna hi-jack this thread for a second. What do you think of Lupe's statement a while back, when he called Obama and the American government terrorists (I'm guessing you've heard of it, if not I could link you)? When he breaks it down it makes sense to me, but a lot of Americans went on a hate parade when he said that. Just wanted to hear your opinion on it, since you live there. Any other American can feel free to answer too.

WΏΏdy?

Dec 23, 2005
    we all do it man in different respects, very few of us take everything head on :) some do it with girls others with their presidents, and some with religion. We all need things to believe in, and if you believe in that thing all your life it's hard to undo it all.
    They very absolute least we can do is have a right opinion, some people cant seem to do that as well.

Just want to say that I know several people in afghanistan right now and you have no idea what you're talking about.
    Then tell me about it :)

OP
    Fred

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
  • Thread Starter #112

Yea it's about time we honor we them by actually bringing them home.

That's not really true most people in the US don't think the wars are justified. Fox news will defend the bush administration for starting the wars and criticize Obama for not withdrawing fast enough, it's all some fucked up political game.
    Probably true, but there is a sizeable percentage of Americans who do believe that the wars were justified, you can't deny that.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    I'm just gonna hi-jack this thread for a second. What do you think of Lupe's statement a while back, when he called Obama and the American government terrorists (I'm guessing you've heard of it, if not I could link you)? When he breaks it down it makes sense to me, but a lot of Americans went on a hate parade when he said that. Just wanted to hear your opinion on it, since you live there. Any other American can feel free to answer too.

link me,

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
    WΏΏdy;3565486 said:
    They very absolute least we can do is have a right opinion, some people cant seem to do that as well.

Then tell me about it :)
    A lot of people in America join the military because it really is the best option for them after high school. It gives them structure, an income, and keeps them off the streets. Military recruitment depends upon the disadvantaged and uneducated.
    Probably true, but there is a sizeable percentage of Americans who do believe that the wars were justified, you can't deny that.
    Well, living where I live, I can't say that I know a single person who would defend the wars in the middle East.

OP
    Fred

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
  • Thread Starter #116
    A lot of people in America join the military because it really is the best option for them after high school. It gives them structure, an income, and keeps them off the streets. Military recruitment depends upon the disadvantaged and uneducated.

Well, living where I live,
    I can't say that I know a single person who would defend the wars in the middle East.
    Man, read my posts again and notice who i said would defend the wars, you live in California for fucks sake :D

WΏΏdy?

Dec 23, 2005
    Ah, the best option is to join the military excuse again. I'm sure poor people back in afghanistan who became militants (most) had no other option too. They go into poor vilages to recruit for them and offered them the best available option,so they are right when they attack western cities too?

OP
    Fred

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
  • Thread Starter #118
    WΏΏdy;3565519 said:
    Ah, the best option is to join the military excuse again. I'm sure poor people back in afghanistan who became militants (most) had no other option too. They go into poor vilages to recruit for them and offered them the best available option,so they are right when they attack western cities too?
    Yup, in fact like Nzoric pointed out earlier, if you are going to use the "they didn't have a choice" "and that was the only way out", well those excuses/arguments apply much more to suicide bombers in Taliban and other radical groups.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
    WΏΏdy;3565509 said:
    So american people (most) will blindly follow their govt or media, even deny it if proven wrong.... now isnt that religion for you :rolleyes:
    Well what I was trying to say is that a lot of these people don't have other options. This is for their own benefit not out of some sense of loyalty to the government.

---------- Post added 13.03.2012 at 09:54 ----------

WΏΏdy;3565519 said:
    Is joining a militia the best option though? That seems like you are assuming a lot there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)