Turkey in EU? (4 Viewers)

Dec 27, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
I don't entirely agree with what you said on the EP and the EC but my experience with them is only limited. From what I've seen, EP members tend to stick to their party ideals more whereas commission members tend to think very hard about their nation's national interests before they suggest a new policy.

But like I said, I don't monitor them very closely and my impression could be false.

As for Schengen: I don't see why it would be hipocritic to make the Turks wait even longer on entering that treaty: it's not like Schengen existed back when the EU was founded. The West waited to take such drastic measures too.
Yes but the new members are joining the 2005 EU, not the pre-Maastricht one. For their application for membership to be accepted, they have consented to considerable sacrifices, and one of the main things they expect in return is full access to the Single Market. If some of the older members suddenly feel they are not ready to welcome the inflow of new EU citizens from the East (which is what is actually happening : the new members aren't violating any accession terms or abusing their newly acquired rights) that’s their problem, and they should have thought it out first.

Regarding the Commission : while it can be interesting for a determined country to have his commissioner in a certain position, the commissioners are expected to be super partes, and unlike the MEP’s they don’t have any allegiance to their national government. For better and for worse, they are first and foremost the ones who govern the EU.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Dec 27, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Cronios ] ++
The rich and powerfull countries are afraid they will loose their power and they will be forced to make more financial contributions for the financial help/development of the poorest countries,
Turkey and other eastern europe countries may form a new group of power(possibly future center of decisions) within the europe consil,
the founder members are afraid they will loose the total control of military/comercial/political/financial they had,

it is hipocritic to be promised full membership and equality and dont get that,

u could say the international laws and habbit come as a packet
Actually if anyone is fearing losing power following Turkey's accession it’s the small member states, thinking (and rightly so to an extent) that a handful of bigger member states could use their weight in the EP to hijack it. Add France, Germany, the UK, Italy, Spain and Poland’s EP votes (not that I could see them all agreeing on one point neither now nor in the near future) and you’ve got the majority, or something close to it.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
But the small members-states havent any power to loose,
the only ones who really have smth to loose from the change of current status quo are the members they are perfectly pleased with the current status

and new entries like Romania,Bulgaria etc wont have any hope to ever be included any kind of agreement,will glagly form and alliance of political ideas with Turkey,
so Turkey will have a bargain power, able to control but to interfere with some major decisions,

and when in a debate a the leadings nations,(England+Italy vs Germany+France) some big nations may ask the alliance of a third strong party to overcome the power of the other half,
Turkey's alliates may offer a significant allie wich will change todays balance,
to guarantee their alliation u need to offer smth in return,
"a favour"

Dec 27, 2003
Of course the small member states have something to lose : if you are Belgium (10 M ppl), is it easier to make yourself heard in a 430 mil Union or in a 500 + mil one ?

What would be harder to reach is a Franco-German axis, which, for all the criticism they receive, are the only two big member states that have wet their feet throughout the EU’s history (with pre-Berlusca's Italy that is). Hell, if it was for me I’d have kept the 6 original members and a few others whose commitment is acknowledged and said bollocks to everyone else.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++
Yes but the new members are joining the 2005 EU, not the pre-Maastricht one. For their application for membership to be accepted, they have consented to considerable sacrifices, and one of the main things they expect in return is full access to the Single Market. If some of the older members suddenly feel they are not ready to welcome the inflow of new EU citizens from the East (which is what is actually happening : the new members aren't violating any accession terms or abusing their newly acquired rights) that’s their problem, and they should have thought it out first.

Regarding the Commission : while it can be interesting for a determined country to have his commissioner in a certain position, the commissioners are expected to be super partes, and unlike the MEP’s they don’t have any allegiance to their national government. For better and for worse, they are first and foremost the ones who govern the EU.
I salute you sir. You're clearly more knowledgable on the issue than I am :)

++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++What would be harder to reach is a Franco-German axis, which, for all the criticism they receive, are the only two big member states that have wet their feet throughout the EU’s history (with pre-Berlusca's Italy that is). Hell, if it was for me I’d have kept the 6 original members and a few others whose commitment is acknowledged and said bollocks to everyone else.
So would I but sadly we're past that point now

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Greece,my county, is another ex of small country,(12mil) that will loose power,
(for other reasons than population only)
but the way i see it, we never had any the last hundred years,
power is smth u have it, or not

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Nuh, that's rubbish. Holland had power once. We went from the world's only superpower in the 1600s to being a miserable, tiny, useless country in the 21st century :D

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
True, but where would the world be without all those people dressed in orange and wearing big hats at World Cups or Euro Championships :D

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
I feel sorry for Dutch people who wear the face paint, cause they the paint must run when they lose (as always :D) and are crying on the way home :p

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
Yes of course.

PS. My family decided to turn international - we always celebrated both :cool: Two santas every year! :extatic::D
Damn the Dutch and their clever advanced ideas, from now I am dutch for one day only :D

Mar 6, 2005
Yes of course.

PS. My family decided to turn international - we always celebrated both :cool: Two santas every year! :extatic::D
wow! Do both get milk and cookies, or are you racist and only give them to Sinterklaas, and give Santa the dog's leftovers? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)