Tunisia on the verge of revolution (2 Viewers)

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Medenine city in the south of Tunisia is living a horror night according to Aljazeera. The sounds of shots are everywhere there.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Inflation Wins As Tunisian President Ben Ali Flees Country

It was just 10 days ago (before anyone had even heard of food inflation) that Zero Hedge first predicted food riots were just around the corner (before anyone had even heard of Tunisia). Little did we know how quickly things would escalate out of control. Here is one man who is 100% confident he can leave the country before protests over runaway inflation succeed in getting him to face his (very hungry) population (presumably in close proximity to a decapitation device). This is probably the first confirmed case of a corrupt government overthrown as a result of the daily POMO secret CIA weapon. Certainly not the last. Stocks up on the news that some rating agency has downgraded the country to BBB+ (much higher than Greece) due to revolution. POMO: liberating countries from oppressive governments through excess inflationary liquidity since 2011.
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/inflation-wins-tunisian-president-ben-ali-flees-country

Naggar

Bianconero
Sep 4, 2007
My bet is on Syria or Egypt as next countries to be hit by revolution.
Not us for sure.

Tunisia stood up for one man, and one man dies by the police monthly here
beside the 2000 in the ship, 20 christians and hundreds in trains.. all because of the careless government
Mubarak made a joke of the ship too

they asked him once about it and he was like "el 3abara ely bete3'ra2 di? :D " laughing.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Good that you informed me.

Syria,maybe.

But the likes of Egypt and Saudi Arabia,Impossible,at least in the near future.USA will 100% interfere to takle any kinds of revolutions in these two countries.
it depends to be honest. if the project of his son is pushed on to the scene i think it will be totally different and u can be sure it wont pass like that. tunisia was the last thing holding that idea over here after these events its bye bye. so bottom line is we might be next if the above is pushed or most probably we will be the very last nation as u mentioned bec here is important for reasons well known.

i would'nt be surprised if we r next but the precentage is not huge for sure. my money is on algeria, followed by libya as a close runner up.

Not us for sure.

Tunisia stood up for one man, and one man dies by the police monthly here
beside the 2000 in the ship, 20 christians and hundreds in trains.. all because of the careless government
Mubarak made a joke of the ship too

they asked him once about it and he was like "el 3abara ely bete3'ra2 di? :D " laughing.
:agree: u forgot two major events to add naggar:

1- egypt air 1999 off new found land and u could see ahmed rayan who at the time was the ceo having a debate with another ass wipe who should get on the ladder leading to the plane gate first when 190+ egyptains had just lost there lives and there families were devastated.

2- i lost track of the number of train related accidents that go by as if nothing happened!! people burned alive in one of these accidents and its all goooooooooood, a train de-rails and its ok happens in england and the us so its normal. a train conductor stops in a train crossing to buy cigs so what the guy has cravings dude he has to roll up a stag to fire up in the long lonely night.

off course spare me the health related scandals bec i have a lot to be depressed about after signing floro flores :D oh and please dont forget the water scandal!!! i love how in the summer we and sudan were getting royally owned and the issue died its like we gave up although water is crucial for this country bas its all gooooooooooood not qualifying to the world cup deserves more attention its a matter of national security.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
The parliament chairman becomes the new president, and the prime minister is ordered to talk to all the parties to form a new government.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Jordanians protest against soaring food prices

More than 5,000 people staged protests across Jordan in "a day of rage" to protest against escalating food prices and unemployment on the same day as, in another part of the Arab world, Tunisia's president fled the north African state after weeks of violent demonstrations.

Amman, Jordan's capital is 1,500 miles (2,500km) from Tunis, but the reason for the protesters' anger was the same, and so too were the calls for the leader to resign.

Jordanian University students and Ba'athist party supporters also held rallies in Irbid, Karak, Salt and Maan, demanding that the prime minister, Samir Rifai, step down.

Official reports coming out of the country suggest that police successfully contained the demonstrators by forming circles around them, and no arrests were made.

Jordan slashed prices and taxes on some foods and fuels on the orders of King Abdullah II this week to help ease the burden on the poor.

The government has already allocated £141m in the 2011 budget to subsidise bread, on which many poor in the country of 7 million people depend, officials said.

The money will also be used to reduce the price of fuel as well as creating jobs, but protesters said that it was insufficient to tackle poverty caused by inflation.

Jordanian blog Ammon news reported that at the protest, called "the day of rage", people chanted: "United class, united government has sucked your blood," and waving posters with bread attached.

"We are protesting the policies of the government, high prices and repeated taxation that made the Jordanian people revolt," Tawfiq al-Batoush, a former head of Karak municipality, told Reuters.

The protests in Jordan, and indeed in Tunisia and Algeria, came after the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO), published figures showing that prices are at their highest since the 2008 food crisis. The global average price of food – including cereals, cooking oil, meat and dairy products – was 25% higher in December 2010 than in December 2009.

And last week, petrol passed the $90-a-barrel-mark.

Jordan's budget deficit hit a record $2bn in 2009, 9% of GDP, as public finances came under strain after the global downturn.

Ammon added that the Muslim Brotherhood and the country's 14 trade unions say they will hold a sit-down protest outside parliament on Sunday to "denounce government economic policies".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/15/jordanians-protest-over-food-prices

-----------------------------

The interesting thing in these demonstrations is that Muslim Brotherhood party is attacked by the demonstrators more than the government itself as that party has stupid viewpoint to what happens in Jordan. They just want to keep sucking to the king even if that means that all the people become against both of them.

Naggar

Bianconero
Sep 4, 2007
i feel better now thank u for this thread hist :D now if u, naggar, and i get pinched we will have loads to talk about :p:D
reminds me!, ahmed how about we all meet up once in cairo and watch a juve game? -if you know a good place/cafe kinda thing- there's mid year vacation coming up :tup: all the games are at night 9:45 i guess i can come for a few days inshaallah

30/1 udinese
2/2 palermo
5/2 cagliari
13/2 inter

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Tunisia unrest a wake-up call for the region

Echoes of Tunisia's unprecedented mass unrest are reverberating across the Arab world – which is watching in fascination as one of the most repressive regimes in the regions makes far-reaching concessions to people power.

Protests over rising food and fuel prices triggered emergency economic measures from Jordan to Libya and Morocco this week as dramatic scenes of street clashes in the small north African country fuelled official nervousness about a domino effect that could shake other authoritarian states short on jobs, hopes and freedoms.

"Every Arab leader is watching Tunisia in fear," tweeted one Egyptian commentator. "Every Arab citizen is watching Tunisia in hope and solidarity."

The impact of Tunisia's unrest is all the greater because Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali – known to his long-suffering subjects as "Ben A Vie" ("president for life") – had been seen as one of the most effective of Arab autocrats. His announcement on Wednesday that he will not stand for another term is a huge boost for reform, whatever happens next.

The obvious contrast is with Egypt, the most populous of Arab countries. Hosni Mubarak, 82, who like Ben Ali keeps Islamists firmly out of power and tolerates only weak secular opposition, is seeking another presidential term next year- when he will mark three decades in power.

If Ben Ali, 74, is on his way out, that will be a democratic advance and a ringing wake-up call for a region where a trend towards republican dynasties – in Syria, Libya and Egypt – sits alongside the hereditary monarchies and emirates of the Gulf and Morocco.

Arab excitement has been maintained by al-Jazeera, the freest and feistiest TV channel in the region, which has broadcast riveting pictures of Tunisian crowds facing down well-equipped security forces. Twitter, Facebook and blogs have circumvented state censorship to provoke excited debate about the impact of the resonantly-named "Jasmine Revolt" or "youth intifada"– with its homage to Palestinian resistance to Israel.

"For all the other Arabs: thanks for your support," one exhilarated Tunisian tweeted. "Inshallah, freedom will be ours from the [Atlantic] ocean till the [Arabian] Gulf." Another message read: "To my Tunisian brothers and sisters: keep it up, all Arab peoples are watching you with admiration and envy."

Jerky mobile-phone images of blood spreading from the fatal gunshot wound of one Tunisian demonstrator provided Arabs with their own equivalent of Neda Agha-Soltani, the young Iranian woman killed in Tehran during protests after the disputed 2009 presidential elections.

Arab pundits often point bitterly to the contrast between the sympathy of western countries for the Iranian Greens and their normally firm backing for the Arab dictatorships. So US and British criticism of Ben Ali's repression has been greeted with delight. The Wikileaks revelations about the scathing private views of the US ambassador in Tunis were widely read across the region – and, some argue, even helped prepare the ground for the current unrest.

Viewed from the Arab world, Tunisia's problems are depressingly familiar. Algeria, which saw days of rioting and half a dozen dead earlier this month, is protected by its greater wealth – its energy a steadier earner than its smaller neighbour's tourism – though both are almost twice as rich as Syria, Morocco and Egypt.

All face the Arab scourge of having the highest unemployment rate worldwide – an average of 14.5% in 2007/2008, compared with an international average of 5.7% – and endemic corruption, cronyism and a lack of transparency and democracy. No wonder Ben Ali's fate and Tunisia's future are being so closely watched.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/14/tunisia-unrest-street-clashes

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
Imagine the irony if you're forced to escape in Turkey. :D

I hope it never happens. I don't like the scary potential and consequences of what's happening in Tunisia.
To Turkey you mean? That will be funny :D

But seriously if it happens, it will only be by fanatic Muslims, and they hate us with passion. For that reason, I support this corrupt anti-democratic government. Not that I have other choice :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)