Tunisia on the verge of revolution (1 Viewer)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
that is the trick with revolution, they should have taken the deal given by ben ali, revolution is counterproductive and an everyone will lose affair.
It all depends on the men in charge of the Army, whether they want absolute power like Ben Ali had or now. Whether they wish to be kings or merely servants of the public.

Buy on AliExpress.com

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Never a good thing, but probably necessary for change. Next big question: elections or Civil War?
The worst scenario can having another dictator leading the country, but civil war is so unexpected as Ben Ali, the former dictator, had no friends that would fight for him after he left.

So what should he say? That Tunisians shouldn't have the right to determine their own government?
As nobody in the region believes what he says, he could just shut up.

Naggar

Bianconero
Sep 4, 2007
So what should he say? That Tunisians shouldn't have the right to determine their own government?
I think he -the American president, not Obama personally- should have a fixed point of view, if Tinisians deserved democracy he should've said so years ago, not after the dectator is gone, now he added nothing. would've been wiser to keep it shut don't you think?

I just don't know why he -American president again, not Obama- must have a say in everything, enough with the police of the world attitude
and strange thing is, I never met an American who was like that, they were all very friendly social people

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Never a good thing, but probably necessary for change. Next big question: elections or Civil War?
I agree with you here, if someone from the army takes charge, the biggest probability is that he'd be another dictator.

The temporary president is Tunisia's prime minister now though, not sure how the Tunisians will take this, as there is some debate over whether it is constitutional that he takes the helm after the president.

that is the trick with revolution, they should have taken the deal given by ben ali, revolution is counterproductive and an everyone will lose affair.
That's not true, sometimes they're is no other solution.

Taking Ben Ali's deal would be falling in his trap, nothing would change even if he didn't run for president again, his friends and allies from his party would take charge, which means not much will change.

I think he means, when Ben Ali asked the Tunisian people to stop rioting, in exchange he wouldn't run for president again.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I think he -the American president, not Obama personally- should have a fixed point of view, if Tinisians deserved democracy he should've said so years ago, not after the dectator is gone, now he added nothing. would've been wiser to keep it shut don't you think?

I just don't know why he -American president again, not Obama- must have a say in everything, enough with the police of the world attitude
and strange thing is, I never met an American who was like that, they were all very friendly social people
Governments almost never represent their people, so thats no surprise.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
The worst scenario can having another dictator leading the country, but civil war is so unexpected as Ben Ali, the former dictator, had no friends that would fight for him after he left.
The worst scenario would be for one dictator to be replaced by another, with the best situation being the army allowing free elections.

I'm not sure what you're tying to say. Tunisia has removed a dictator from but things are far from finished and there is much to be decided.

As nobody in the region believes what he says, he could just shut up.
Many politicians will have their say throughout the next few weeks regarding Tunisia. I guess they should all shut up.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
That's not true, sometimes they're is no other solution.

Taking Ben Ali's deal would be falling in his trap, nothing would change even if he didn't run for president again, his friends and allies from his party would take charge, which means not much will change.
the revolution card is like holding a gun to someones head to make them do what you want, once they do you dont shoot them. I hope i am wrong but history shows a very small success rate for revolutions in general.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
he proposed to sit down and accept their demands and step down in 6 months. This power vacuum is too risky many will try to take advantage of it.
No. He did not propose to sit down after 6 months. He promised that he will not be one of the candidates for the presedential elections for 2014. He said that after 6 months, there could be parliament elections.

Well, I feel that this is a great step by the Tunisian people but they should keep going until removing all the pillars of the previous regime, because the new president is just one of the previous one's dummies.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
No. He did not propose to sit down after 6 months. He promised that he will not be one of the candidates for the presedential elections for 2014. He said that after 6 months, there could be parliament elections.

Well, I feel that this is a great step by the Tunisian people but they should keep going until removing all the pillars of the previous regime, because the new president is just one of the previous one's dummies.
no i read somewhere he would have stepped own in 6 months, at any rate i see it as maximizing on our opportunities not purging or cleansing, which are stupid and pointless since there will always be "bad" people. It's about attaining objectives not righting wrongs.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
The worst scenario would be for one dictator to be replaced by another, with the best situation being the army allowing free elections.

I'm not sure what you're tying to say. Tunisia has removed a dictator from but things are far from finished and there is much to be decided.

Many politicians will have their say throughout the next few weeks regarding Tunisia. I guess they should all shut up.
I mean that no civil war is expected. The worst scenario is replacing one of the worst dictators in the world with another one, and that is not really a loss, if you ask me.

All politicians from all over the world can shut up in the same way they were silent all the previous 23 years.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

America wants to better it's image after recent problems with foreign relations (I don't think I need to elaborate). So of course the American President is going to have some sort of opinion on the Revolution.

Why not say something against the dictator (while in power)? I think we all know the answer to this. It's better to back the ruling government than the one that loses. It's simply politics, many nations other than the US are quiet while dictators live in power, only to raise their voices after the fact.

Hopefully, we will keep our noses out of Tunisia's new government. A government of the people, created by the people will ultimately be more effective and beneficial for the people of Tunisia than the influence of some outside force be it the US, UN, EU, etc.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I mean that no civil war is expected. The worst scenario is replacing one of the worst dictators in the world with another one, and that is not really a loss, if you ask me.

All politicians from all over the world can shut up in the same way they were silent all the previous 23 years.
I agree with you on the worst scenario issue.

Civil wars are never anticipated. Uf one is truly not expected that is a good sign.

I agree on principle that world leaders should not attempt to join the party, but it is unavoidable.

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
the revolution card is like holding a gun to someones head to make them do what you want, once they do you dont shoot them. I hope i am wrong but history shows a very small success rate for revolutions in general.
Somalia is the best example of this.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
Of course, he's more than welcome.

Jeddah is a favorite destination for all exiled dictators. At least, Idi Amin liked it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)